News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

What makes greens great?
« on: June 26, 2022, 02:56:44 PM »
Tom Doak on the RTJ thread stated that Oakland Hills greens were/are some of the finest in the world. That prompted me to think and ask again about what makes greens great. I have really enjoyed the greens at several courses, but they vary from each other so I could not tell you what are the common elements that make them great. And our home course which is nothing special has greens very different from a place like Southern Pines yet they seem quite good to me because even without pronounced contours (which I truly like), they provide real challenge (lots of slope, run offs that are not obvious in different directions, short/medium putts that fool long time members).

So how does one know how to judge greens to be great…or not? Specific examples welcome.

Thanks.

Michael Whitaker

Re: What makes greens great?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 03:05:10 PM »
Tom Doak penned an article for New York's Metropolitan Golf Association explaining what (in his opinion) makes a great green. This article is a fabulous insight into the creative process.

http://scgolfpanel.org/Rankings/WhatMakesAGreatGreen.pdf
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 04:18:10 PM »
Tom Doak penned an article for New York's Metropolitan Golf Association explaining what (in his opinion) makes a great green. This article is a fabulous insight into the creative process.

http://scgolfpanel.org/Rankings/WhatMakesAGreatGreen.pdf

Thanks for linking this Mike. Damn fine piece.
Atb

Ira Fishman

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 02:03:47 PM »
Terrific article. Thanks for sharing. Any other thoughts about the question?

Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back