News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

I'm calling it now...
« on: June 23, 2022, 03:21:50 PM »
2028 US Open goes to Chicago Golf Club

There have been rumors that it's been in the works between CGC & the USGA for some time.
H.P.S.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: I'm calling it now...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 03:37:08 PM »
That appears to be the only date open for the next decade or two.  What is the rationale for assigning sites so far into the future?  The 2051 event is at Oakland Hills - maybe Charlie Woods' son will be competing in that event.  This smells like FIFA awarding multiple world cups so that current members can maximize their graft.

David Kelly

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:47:35 PM »
That appears to be the only date open for the next decade or two.  What is the rationale for assigning sites so far into the future?  The 2051 event is at Oakland Hills - maybe Charlie Woods' son will be competing in that event.  This smells like FIFA awarding multiple world cups so that current members can maximize their graft.
I don't think there is actual graft going on with the site selection but it is a case where the current USGA leadership is hogging all the perks - site visits (read plays), publicity, etc...
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 03:49:33 PM »
I don't think there is actual graft going on with the site selection but it is a case where the current USGA leadership is hogging all the perks - site visits (read plays), publicity, etc...

They can sell "2051 U.S. Open" merch for the next 29 years!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 04:18:01 PM »
Poor Oakland Hills -- it's gonna be renovated at least 3 times before then!
Sorry, I meant 'restored'.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:20:33 PM by PPallotta »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 06:39:52 PM »
That's what I mean - they aren't getting actual cash but they do get to bestow prestige on golf courses.  They also take this job out of the hands of their successors.  What's the next board of the USGA going to do?  Award the 2100 US Open to a club?
Here are the actual sites that have been announced:
2023    LACC
2024    Pinehurst #2
2025    Oakmont
2026    Shinnecock
2027    Pebble Beach
2029    Pinehurst #2
2030    Merion
2033    Oakmont
2034    Oakland Hills
2035    Pinehurst #2
2041    Pinehurst #2
2042    Oakmont
2047    Pinehurst #2
2049    Oakmont
2051    Oakland Hills

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 07:48:57 PM »
As I understand it, the USGA and Chicago Golf had serious talks, but Chicago Golf doesn't want to play an alternate routing, nor have construction to make it happen.

Even with limited attendance – they had to print more tickets for the inaugural U.S. Senior Women's Open – I can't see where all the Open infrastructure would go, from merchandise tent to television compound.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Adam G

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 11:02:26 PM »
Does it have the length and footprint for all the corporate/merchandise/etc?

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 12:46:29 AM »
I find it absolutely fanciful to think that the USGA is negotiating with Chicago Golf Club for an Open.  As great as the course is, the infrastructure is not there to host anything bigger than a Walker Cup.  You need several arcres just to park the TV equipment. Plus the land required for storage, extra lightning evacuation vehicles, the merchandise tents, essential worker parking, And you need a practice range that can accommodate a minimum of 80+ players at once with a length approaching 400 yards.  Then you need a couple decent sized practice greens along with a sizable putting green.  Those who sight Merion as an example forget that the practice facility is the West Course which is not too far from the clubhouse.  In addition, they have Haverford College adjacent to help with infrastructure requirements.  I am pretty certain that Seven Gables Park and Wheaton College would not be adequate to add some acreage for the above mentioned needs!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 11:54:46 AM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 06:44:08 AM »

Who will still be employed at those clubs at that time?
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 08:27:43 AM »
Could you use another golf club nearby as the driving range?  When the Canadian Open is held at St Georges, as was the case two weeks ago, Islington Golf Club is used at the driving range.  I have never been to Chicago Golf, and I am not familiar with the area, but when I look at Google Maps I see a few other courses within a mile or two.

John Blain

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 10:11:02 AM »
I find it sort of strange that sites are committed from 2023-2030 but no announcement for 2028. I had heard a while back that '28 was offered to Winged Foot but for some reason the club was dragging their feet on committing.

Tal Oz

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 11:54:20 AM »
Everything I know about Chicago GC and my handful of rounds there, nothing would indicate them wanting to change their course or add any more tees. Realistically they could add farther back tees to 3,5,6,7,9,12, and 13 without having goofy teeshots over the previous greens. Just on par 4's that would leave 5,6,8,9,14,15, and 18 as wedge approaches for the pros. Both par 5's are very short for the men's game at 536 and 525 with no room to really lengthen, though I could see 4 playing tough even for the pros with that perched green.

I was out on the grounds at Brookline last week and the amount of infrastructure is immense, I'm struggling to see that at Chicago as a few other posters mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the pros play Chicago, maybe there's something you know that I don't!

David Kelly

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 12:27:17 PM »
Maybe CGC can be the test case for the rolled back equipment in 2050.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
Q: since Chicago has happily / proudly avoided the expensive and ego driven dog & pony show that is the hosting of the US Open for these many decades, why would they be interested in participating now, when the USGA can use its 'anchor sites' like Oakmont and Pinehurst and Pebble to leverage higher fees from insecure or promotion hungry contenders? In other words, what's changed now that would have Chicago wanting in?

Steve Lang

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 02:06:21 PM »
 8)  ? what would threaten CGC??... maybe Inverness having the Women's and Men's US Open in 2028???... 8)
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 02:59:05 PM »
Q: since Chicago has happily / proudly avoided the expensive and ego driven dog & pony show that is the hosting of the US Open for these many decades, why would they be interested in participating now, when the USGA can use its 'anchor sites' like Oakmont and Pinehurst and Pebble to leverage higher fees from insecure or promotion hungry contenders? In other words, what's changed now that would have Chicago wanting in?

What's changed is that the USGA would like to go back to Chicago [the city], and they've ruled out Olympia Fields because of local politics, and obviously they love their history and Chicago Golf Club is chock full of history.

Years ago the whole idea was a non-starter, because the small membership did not put in the kind of money for conditioning that such events require, but that's no longer an issue.

Would it require compromises or practical solutions on infrastructure?  Absolutely, but it's hard to imagine they would have multiple conversations about it if the USGA thought it was a non-starter.  Even so, it's not a done deal, and probably less likely to happen than not.

Maybe they intend to have the equipment rules sorted by 2028?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 03:19:39 PM »
I'm not allowed to say where it IS going, but I didn't hear Chicago...
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

V_Halyard

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 03:09:23 PM »

Who will still be employed at those clubs at that time?

Robot Mowers and rakes, you'll only need 10 on Staff
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 03:11:39 PM »
[/quote
Mostly to help confirm and justify the investment in the big golf course things needed to host an Open.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2022, 01:01:10 PM »
Dream on Chicago. Chambers Bay is the obvious choice. ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Zack Molnar

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2022, 01:39:17 PM »
Everything I know about Chicago GC and my handful of rounds there, nothing would indicate them wanting to change their course or add any more tees. Realistically they could add farther back tees to 3,5,6,7,9,12, and 13 without having goofy teeshots over the previous greens. Just on par 4's that would leave 5,6,8,9,14,15, and 18 as wedge approaches for the pros. Both par 5's are very short for the men's game at 536 and 525 with no room to really lengthen, though I could see 4 playing tough even for the pros with that perched green.

I was out on the grounds at Brookline last week and the amount of infrastructure is immense, I'm struggling to see that at Chicago as a few other posters mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the pros play Chicago, maybe there's something you know that I don't!

Agreed the infrastructure at TCC was mindboggling. They have an extra 9 holes to utilize and the event still felt very compacted - cant imaging CGC would feel anything but extremely congested.

Tim Martin

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »

Agreed the infrastructure at TCC was mindboggling. They have an extra 9 holes to utilize and the event still felt very compacted - cant imaging CGC would feel anything but extremely congested.

Zack-I thought that TCC did a terrific job with the tournament and never felt like any part of it was compacted. I went to a practice round and if anything was surprised at the amount of walking that was involved in seeing all the holes, clubhouse, practice areas and concessions. Clubs with more than eighteen holes have a big advantage when hosting.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2022, 03:12:27 PM »
Dream on Chicago. Chambers Bay is the obvious choice. ;)

Not there either...
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2022, 09:57:27 PM »
Regarding the dates way into the future, I think the USGA is being pretty smart about the whole thing.

Because while the U.S. Opens are getting all of the headlines, the USGA is also securing sites for some of their championships that don’t get as much publicity or generate as much revenue.

Oakland Hills - for example - is also going to host a Women’s Open, a Boys’ Junior, a Girls’ Junior and an Amateur. Merion is getting two women’s opens and two Opens. Oakmont will host women’s opens, a Walker Cup and a Women’s Am.

I think it is a great move that the USGA is using the lure of the U.S. Open to ensure that other championships get good sites.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back