News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: You saw it here first - Governors Towne Club
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2003, 08:17:02 AM »
Carlyle thanks for the pics. I tend to agree with Mike on rock short and right of a par three. It should slow down play when the majority of high handicappers bounce a ball to wherever and have to hunt it down.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2003, 08:22:53 AM »
Mike Cirba,
If I'm not mistaken, the area in the front of the Tot Hill Farm picture is part of the green.  I think that's the green for one of the par 5's on the back, but I don't have a scorecard here to look it up.  If its the hole I thinking about, I hit my wedge into the slope and came all the way down, then had to put all the way up to a pin similar to the one in the picture.  I won't disclose the results, but I loved the hole and the green complex.

Actually, that hole is very typical of the course.  The majority of holes have boulders somewhere or other, and lots of the greens are multilevel.  The only thing I can say is that in that terrain, it all works.  I admit to being a big fan of Mike Strantz, however.  I would also add that the terrain in the area of Governors Towne Club is, overall, pretty similar to Tot Hill Farm.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Steve_L.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2003, 08:24:27 AM »
If that slope was without bunkers OR rocks I could see a soft fade barely missing the green and running completely down the hill and out of play...  Unless of course the hillside was maintained as heavy rough, which is not really viable in the dormant winter season.

I'm not a huge fan of rocks - they fall into the same category to me as burnt-out tree stumps left in play (a design feature which seems to find it's way in the northwest).

It looks to me like a terrific layout - one that the membership will enjoy greatly.  Thanks to Carlyle for bringing this up - it's an interesting discussion and good review.

Carlyle Rood

Governors Towne Club
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2003, 08:45:24 AM »
The first photo was the 1st hole, a par 4.  The next two photos were of the 4th hole, another par 4.

I think the scale of the photo is misleading.  The rocks are well down the slope away from the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back