News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

OT Friendly Reminder Why We Love the Game
« on: June 22, 2022, 10:35:19 AM »
Michael Bamberger interviewed Curtis Strange for a preview of the US Open at Brookline.   It is a nice article and towards the end, he wrote:

"Curtis continued to go to the range.  He continues to go to the range.  It's his sanctuary.  Does he expect to suddenly get better? No. But he knows what every lifer in the game knows.  There's a deep pleasure in trying.  Because golf is hard, and it feels good to do a difficult thing well."

I will remember the last sentence for a long time.  He could be talking about me or any number of us.  I will never be a champion golfer at any level, but occasionally I'll hit a shot that a champion golfer would be happy with.  We all do.  It is why we play the game.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:43:11 AM by Steve Salmen »

John Kavanaugh

Re: OT Friendly Reminder Why We Love the Game
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »
As I get older I have noticed that I like the start of any project more than the conclusion. It’s that way with going to the range. Soaring drivers and crisp seven irons. Just like imagining a utopian retirement home where you never have to pay a bill. The demons of fixed income and the yips can’t find you on Zillow or the range.

John Blain

Re: OT Friendly Reminder Why We Love the Game
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »
Michael Bamberger interviewed Curtis Strange for a preview of the US Open at Brookline.   It is a nice article and towards the end, he wrote:

"Curtis continued to go to the range.  He continues to go to the range.  It's his sanctuary.  Does he expect to suddenly get better? No. But he knows what every lifer in the game knows.  There's a deep pleasure in trying.  Because golf is hard, and it feels good to do a difficult thing well."

I will remember the last sentence for a long time.  He could be talking about me or any number of us.  I will never be a champion golfer at any level, but occasionally I'll hit a shot that a champion golfer would be happy with.  We all do.  It is why we play the game.
Excellent article, thanks for posting. If you are a Bamberger like me fan his books are outstanding, particularly his latest work which is titled "Men In Green."  Tough to put down.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back