News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Hunstanton & the Women's Amateur Championship
« on: June 26, 2022, 11:06:48 AM »
I watched the (British) Women's Amateur Championship from Hunstanton over the past weekend and it was wonderful! The live broadcast was presented on YouTube with, naturally, limited announcers and camera angles. Lots of player level video and continuous coverage without commercials. It was brilliant.

Hunstanton looked amazing! I've not played there yet, but the course really impressed with everything you could hope for in a proper links venue. Rumple and blind shots galore!

One other note of pride for my home state... three ladies representing South Carolina colleges made it to the quarter-finals! Two from the University of South Carolina, and one from Wofford College. It was great seeing the school logos during the broadcast.

I definitely hope to see Hunstanton before or after the Buda in September. 
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David_Tepper

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:26:25 AM by David_Tepper »

Ben Stephens

Re: Hunstanton & the Women's Amateur Championship
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 11:16:04 AM »
I watched the (British) Women's Amateur Championship from Hunstanton over the past weekend and it was wonderful! The live broadcast was presented on YouTube with, naturally, limited announcers and camera angles. Lots of player level video and continuous coverage without commercials. It was brilliant.

Hunstanton looked amazing! I've not played there yet, but the course really impressed with everything you could hope for in a proper links venue. Rumple and blind shots galore!

One other note of pride for my home state... three ladies representing South Carolina colleges made it to the quarter-finals! Two from the University of South Carolina, and one from Wofford College. It was great seeing the school logos during the broadcast.

I definitely hope to see Hunstanton before or after the Buda in September.

Whitty,

Hunstanton is probably the most played links course that I have played as I have taken part in the East Anglian Spring Foursomes and the Grafton Morrish (an public school old boys competition) a number of times over the last 25 years. It is a proper championship test and not that many blind shots as you would expect at Silloth etc. We also use Brancaster for the Grafton Morrish and I played it last October and it was so much fun to play plus quick to get around.

Hunstanton 16th is the scene of one of the rarest moments in golf - In the Eastern Counties Scratch Foursomes in 1974 (i think) - Bob Taylor holed in one on three successive days (1-iron, 6-iron and 1-iron) on the same hole. Bob was also the junior team selector/manager when I played for Leicestershire and Rutland Boys team in the mid 1990s. There is a plaque on the tee.

Cheers
Ben

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 11:18:41 AM »
Thanks, David. I was going to post the link to the quarter/semi-final video. It's great to scan through it and see the ladies play the course. Hanna Darling is a Midlothian from Broomieknowe GC. She chose to play for South Carolina over an offer from Stanford!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 11:21:42 AM »
Ben - the ladies were playing the 16th... a blind par three... at 209 yards. It was amazing watching them hit their shots to 20 feet or less. They would pop one over the dune then the camera would show it tumbling down the slope onto the green. Great stuff!

David Kelly

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 03:44:30 PM »
Brancaster and Hunstanton is a great 36 hole day for guys travelling to England.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 04:28:09 PM »
Delighted to see Jess Baker win this.  She's a member of Gosforth Park Ladies, the women's club that plays at The Northumberland and her father and caddie, Steve, is a popular member of Northumberland.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 04:47:06 PM »
Ben - the ladies were playing the 16th... a blind par three... at 209 yards. It was amazing watching them hit their shots to 20 feet or less. They would pop one over the dune then the camera would show it tumbling down the slope onto the green. Great stuff!

I think you mean the 14th that’s the blind par three with the traffic light system and huge marker post at the rear of the green it’s like 221 yards off the champ tees

16 - not seen it over 200 yards it’s certainly not blind it’s very clear to see the green from the tee

17 is a brutal long par 4 most would be happy with a 5

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 05:37:12 PM »

I think you mean the 14th that’s the blind par three with the traffic light system and huge marker post at the rear of the green it’s like 221 yards off the champ tees

16 - not seen it over 200 yards it’s certainly not blind it’s very clear to see the green from the tee

Yes, it must be 14, not 16.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 12:26:30 PM »

Yes, it must be 14, not 16.

14 - I must have played it 20-30 times its definitely blind if you clear the apex and use the downslope to roll it to the green its pretty much a lottery like par 3

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back