News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: Nick Faldo
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2022, 11:44:43 PM »
Give me Faldo any day over a Jim Nance or Azinger. He didn’t try to make himself the show and actually knows the game. And his swing rebuild has much more effect on todays game than anyone seems to ever say.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2022, 05:37:34 PM »
Give me Faldo any day over a Jim Nance or Azinger. He didn’t try to make himself the show and actually knows the game. And his swing rebuild has much more effect on todays game than anyone seems to ever say.
Andy Johnson made the point that he's learned one thing — ever, I think — from Nick Faldo. And how did his swing rebuild "have more effect on today's game"? For his size, Faldo was a poofer.

Also, Jim Nance isn't a broadcaster. Or if he is, he's not a famous one, and he definitely doesn't broadcast the Masters. Jim Nantz, on the other hand…
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2022, 05:43:04 PM »
Andy Johnson made the point that he's learned one thing — ever, I think — from Nick Faldo. And how did his swing rebuild "have more effect on today's game"? For his size, Faldo was a poofer.

Also, Jim Nance isn't a broadcaster. Or if he is, he's not a famous one, and he definitely doesn't broadcast the Masters. Jim Nantz, on the other hand…

You took me back to middle school with that one. Thanks.

Tim Martin

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »

What does Andy think of Faldo’s six Major’s? ???

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2022, 06:26:53 PM »
I don't know. Ask him. Then maybe explain to others here what winning majors guarantees about being a good broadcaster.

I don't want to speak for Andy but I think it's a fair and accurate summary to say that for someone WITH that experience (winning six majors), Andy would think Faldo would be a fountain of knowledge, and yet in all of his years Andy learned next to nothing from listening to Nick Faldo.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2022, 06:29:28 PM »
I don't know. Ask him. Then maybe explain to others here what winning majors guarantees about being a good broadcaster.

I don't want to speak for Andy but I think it's a fair and accurate summary to say that for someone WITH that experience (winning six majors), Andy would think Faldo would be a fountain of knowledge, and yet in all of his years Andy learned next to nothing from listening to Nick Faldo.

You already did speak for Andy? What did he learn??

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2022, 06:34:08 PM »
Faldo is not hired to teach someone of Andy’s knowledge. Faldo talks to guys like me.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2022, 06:42:27 PM »

Maybe Jim Nance is related to basketball players Larry Nance and Larry Nance, Jr.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
You already did speak for Andy? What did he learn??
No, I summarized what he said. If you want to know what he more fully thinks of Nick Faldo, ask him.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:41 PM »

I just want to know if you stand behind the above. It paints Andy in a very negative light. I want to see the kid get a fair shake.

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2022, 07:39:18 PM »
Since I can’t spell , I might as well ask the next question: Who is Andy Johnson?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2022, 07:42:06 PM »
Since I can’t spell , I might as well ask the next question: Who is Andy Johnson?

He is The Fried Egg. He outwitted me once in person at my own club. I respect him for that.

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2022, 07:48:34 PM »

More to the point who cares what he thinks of Nick Faldo?

jeffwarne

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2022, 08:02:15 PM »
I went to school with a lot of people who never learned a thing.
never thought to blame it on the teachers... ;) ;D

I have always been a fan of Faldo's commentary and dry, often self deprecating wit and he wrote a very thoughtful and detailed instruction book.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Daryl David

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »

I just want to know if you stand behind the above. It paints Andy in a very negative light. I want to see the kid get a fair shake.

+1. I too would like to know.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2022, 08:39:14 PM »
It paints Andy in a very negative light.
It does not. Andy said something like "Nick never shared any knowledge." If you want to take that as blaming the teacher, by all means, but that's not what I said (or Andy said). So, you can try to put words in my mouth, but just listen for yourselves if you want to hear what Andy had to say about Nick Faldo. It's not like it's some secret.

Andy aside and IMO, Faldo was not a good broadcaster. I appreciated the dry wit, but aside from that… it's a short list.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 08:44:36 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Rob Marshall

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2022, 10:03:53 PM »

Tim, being a “poofer” with 6 majors isn’t too bad is it?  Hey Nick sorry your swing wasn’t very good, you were a “poofer”. There are guys here you should hang on every word. Others not so much…….

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2022, 07:00:03 AM »
Basically - and I may be alone here - I have no interest in learning anything from golf commentators.

I only have interest in them entertaining me, making me smile and enhancing the emotion of what I am watching.

Occasionally the entertainment comes from learning something about the game. But usually it comes from little stories and general excitement.

As a commentator, I found Faldo ok to listen to. That will do.

Phil Burr

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2022, 08:50:06 AM »
Jim Nance was a fullback who played for the Patriots in the AFL.  He was the league MVP in 1996.  He came from a long line of Syracuse University running backs, and was also an NCAA heavyweight wresting champion.  He might have been the Bo Jackson of his day.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 08:55:13 AM »
You either learn to run, fight or talk when your last name is Nancy. The dark bright side of bullying.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2022, 10:34:09 AM »
Not everyone can be Renton Laidlaw. My goodness, what a charming broadcaster he was. He could get me up early on a Saturday morning to watch a 3rd rate Euro Tour event played at a resort-course in the Azores co-led by some guy from Holland in a J Lindeberg polo and Poland's top golfer and leading money winner. In comparison, Nick Faldo didn't have to try nearly as hard or be half as good, since he had the advantage of working on the world's greatest stage, covering the brightest stars of the PGA Tour from well designed tournament players courses in New Orleans.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2022, 11:00:20 AM »

More to the point who cares what he thinks of Nick Faldo?

I will second this.  I like Andy's broadcasts and all, but why should I care about his opinion of Nick Faldo. 

Maybe we should recruit Jim Nance...errrr Nantz to the birdhouse and see what he thinks!  ;D   If he made a post on here every morning saying "Welcome Friends" I think I might just appreciate that!

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2022, 07:30:36 PM »
Tim, being a “poofer” with 6 majors isn’t too bad is it?  Hey Nick sorry your swing wasn’t very good, you were a “poofer”. There are guys here you should hang on every word. Others not so much…….
Poofer: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.y1996.html
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2022, 01:52:31 PM »
Erik, what was the point of that detour? He was short off the tee when he was 38/39 years old compared to the field that week? Thanks for the data. I'm sure Norman and Herron bring it up at parties.

Since this has nothing to do with GCA:

To the posters that made fun of the Nance/Nantz misspelling: not one of you mentioned that it should be SIR Nick Faldo. ;)

I admire him. He's my favorite golfer. A stoic robot in competition that transitioned into an insightful (and more personable) commentator.
One female caddie has won a major. One female caddie is in the HOF.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2022, 02:11:35 PM »
Erik, what was the point of that detour? He was short off the tee when he was 38/39 years old compared to the field that week? Thanks for the data. I'm sure Norman and Herron bring it up at parties.

Since this has nothing to do with GCA:

To the posters that made fun of the Nance/Nantz misspelling: not one of you mentioned that it should be SIR Nick Faldo. ;)

I admire him. He's my favorite golfer. A stoic robot in competition that transitioned into an insightful (and more personable) commentator.
One female caddie has won a major. One female caddie is in the HOF.

Never a fan when he was competing but his record says it all. Pretty sure the next thing you’ll hear is the weak fields he played against…..
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back