News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: OT - Congrats to Billy Foster!
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2022, 07:17:40 PM »
If I recall he was around a 13, it was a very blustery day and he qualified with 33 points on count back so made almost a third of his points in the last 3 holes. He probably thought as in most of those kind of events 40 was required, but anyone who knows the Castle Course is well aware it’s tough on the average player.
Cave Nil Vino

Jeff Schley

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2022, 07:59:53 PM »
If I recall he was around a 13, it was a very blustery day and he qualified with 33 points on count back so made almost a third of his points in the last 3 holes. He probably thought as in most of those kind of events 40 was required, but anyone who knows the Castle Course is well aware it’s tough on the average player.

Great story Chappers.!  You can marshall a guy around a course for sure.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

archie_struthers

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2022, 08:37:33 PM »
 ;D

Marty , really ???

V. Kmetz

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2022, 11:57:55 PM »
How many majors did Steve Williams "win" when he didn't happen to be carrying for Woods?

Two majors and 82 player wins with others (Norman, Floyd, Adam Scott, Day - 25 years)
Twelve majors and 63 player wins with Woods (13 years)...

You might still be obtuse in the face of such stats, but at least you'll see fine, successful golfers, past and present, major winners all, including the greatest modern champion, who thought the guy was somehow important or valuable to their success...kept him around and paid him enough millions that he seemingly owns most of New Zealand.

I mean, what are you f'n trolls talking about?  Congrats Billy Foster, what a great payoff for a wonderful career; everyone's happy in his orbit.  And way to go Fitzpatrick for recognizing his man's contribution and sharing the glory.  Kid gets it.

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2022, 02:53:37 AM »
Which player would have still won a major in the modern era without a caddie?   

Vijay said he would manage fine without a caddy.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2022, 03:05:58 AM »
Guess Billy's now going to have two stories to dine out on ...... Seve's over he wall shot at Crans and now Matt's fairway bunker shot at Brookline.
atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2022, 03:27:32 AM »
Can't help thinking that one day Rory will reflect and realise there's a difference between BFF and best caddie?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2022, 03:40:02 AM »
I equate caddies with jockeys in horse racing. Jockeys also get credit for wins but never run a race. They just steer the horse and give them the whip when they need it. ;D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2022, 07:25:57 AM »
How many majors did Steve Williams "win" when he didn't happen to be carrying for Woods?

Two majors and 82 player wins with others (Norman, Floyd, Adam Scott, Day - 25 years)
Twelve majors and 63 player wins with Woods (13 years)...

You might still be obtuse in the face of such stats, but at least you'll see fine, successful golfers, past and present, major winners all, including the greatest modern champion, who thought the guy was somehow important or valuable to their success...kept him around and paid him enough millions that he seemingly owns most of New Zealand.

I mean, what are you f'n trolls talking about?  Congrats Billy Foster, what a great payoff for a wonderful career; everyone's happy in his orbit.  And way to go Fitzpatrick for recognizing his man's contribution and sharing the glory.  Kid gets it.
You know someone has a quality argument when they throw out insults like obtuse and troll to make their point!
I've never said that caddies don't provide value to professional golfers. My point all along was that the caddie isn't the one that won the tournament - that's all.
Forgive my ongoing obtuse nature, but I see the stats you provided much differently. In 13 years with Woods, there were at most 52 possible majors and Woods won 12 of them - 23%. In the other 25 years, there were 100 possible majors and the other players won 2 of them - 2%. How is this disproving my suggestion that Steve Williams "won" majors based on who the player was?

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2022, 08:23:27 AM »
He wins his first major as a caddie after 40 years of caddying for some of the best players in the game.
Gotta admire/applaud any person experiencing the summit after so many years of work and dedication. I'll wager his colleagues view his week as a win.

Yet, he didn't go without one.  ??? I've also heard caddies could do without Vijay.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2022, 09:11:31 AM »
I just don't think that caddies should get recognized as winning a tournament if they aren't the one playing - especially on a website devoted (at times) to the discussion of Golf Course Architecture.

John, did I read this too snidely?

Seems most (pro/great) caddies would know/offer a lot about each course's architecture.

SL_Solow

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2022, 09:52:20 AM »
John,  I take it that you would be satisfied if Billy was congratulated for "being on the winner's bag" instead of for "winning".  I can accept that distinction while continuing to maintain the value of a good caddy and the value of a caddy program.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2022, 10:04:00 AM »
I just don't think that caddies should get recognized as winning a tournament if they aren't the one playing - especially on a website devoted (at times) to the discussion of Golf Course Architecture.

John, did I read this too snidely?

Seems most (pro/great) caddies would know/offer a lot about each course's architecture.
Peter,
Billy Foster may know tons more about golf architecture than I do. But there's no discussion of golf architecture on this post. For that matter, Mohammed Bin Salman could have many novel ideas about golf architecture, but those aren't being discussed on the various Saudi/LIV posts. I was simply commenting on the fact that threads like this belong somewhere other than GCA. Then, like a good hypocrite, I post on it....  I'll try to do the right thing and end my participation on this thread with this post.

Shelly,
As I have often seen, you have a way of more clearly expressing thoughts than the original poster. I completely agree with your post.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »
I was wondering which golfer in my lifetime could have used a great caddie. Doug Sanders came to mind. In the following article written by a lifelong caddie he takes no responsibility for even a single shot. I will give him credit for respecting women in a manner foreign to me as a 19 year old in the 70's.

https://www.alifein.golf/home/2016/4/17/doug-sanders

Who was on the bag when DS missed that famous short putt?

JohnVDB

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2022, 04:11:48 PM »
He wins his first major as a caddie after 40 years of caddying for some of the best players in the game.
Gotta admire/applaud any person experiencing the summit after so many years of work and dedication. I'll wager his colleagues view his week as a win.

Yet, he didn't go without one.  ??? I've also heard caddies could do without Vijay.

He didn’t have a choice. Caddies are required on tour.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back