News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MClutterbuck

Northwest England
« on: June 19, 2022, 11:14:21 AM »
Thanks in Advance to all helping out and hopefully my questions help others and a few less well known golf courses.

Landing in Manchester on a September Thursday Midday on the front end of a long golf trip and after very long overnight flights. Playing Royal Liverpool Friday afternoon, then Formby, Birkdale and Lytham Sunday thru Tuesday before heading to Southeast England and onto Ireland.

1. Should we try to play on Thursday afternoon close to Manchester? Or take it easy in Manchester for 24 hours before heading to Liverpool? Is Reddish Vale a nice gentle warm up? Any other?

2. Saturday is open so far. Has been difficult to get a club open saturday to non members. What good courses in the area would take a group of 4 on a Saturday? Delamere Forest? Wallasey? Cavendish?

Is there a Brora/Elie we are missing in the area?

Steve Sayre

Re: Northwest England
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 11:23:08 AM »
I think Wallasey is available Saturday and IMO a nice choice.
Open qualifier and greatly admired by Bernard Darwin.
Friendly members and a nice patio for your libation post-round.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 01:56:32 PM »
We are playing Southport and Ainsdale on Saturday.
AKA Mayday

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 12:49:48 PM »
One not mentioned that I think is available on Saturday and on my ever-growing list of courses I want to see:
Prestbury (Colt) is a hilly property and being inland is an interesting add to a bunch of links

Another suggestion that sane people wouldn't attempt but I highly recommend:
Silloth on Solway - absolutely terrific links that you're likely never going to be closer to (2+ hours drive from Manchester, though)

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 05:11:04 PM »
The only course in the Manchester area to feature in the top 100 in England is Cavendish. It’s around 45 minutes from the airport and Buxton is a lovely town in which to stay the night. You can be at Hoylake in the morning in an hour and a half.

I’d be delighted to host you there.

Silloth on the Saturday is a good call depending on whether the club comp is on a Saturday or a Sunday that week. It’s a couple of hours from Southport but is well worth the journey. I’m a member there too! 😎
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 05:14:28 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

MClutterbuck

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 07:15:05 PM »
Thank you everybody for the suggestions and Duncan, thanks a million for the offer for Cavendish (would be 2 of us that day). Let me talk to the group and get back to you in private. Thanks!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 03:18:51 AM »
I'd be careful not to jeopardise your energy for later in your extensive trip by burning candles at the very start.
atb
PS - If the opportunity exists play Formby Ladies as well as the main Formby GC course. It's a wee cracker.

Brian Finn

Re: Northwest England New
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 10:54:45 AM »
I second the recommendations for Wallasey, Southport & Ainsdale, and Formby Ladies, and would add to those West Lancashire and Hillside.  I found each of these courses to be quite compelling, and at least a couple will be available on Saturday.  I'm planning to return to the area (from the US) in the next couple of years, and plan to play each of these again.  This area is just jam-packed with really great golf courses.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 11:16:01 AM by Brian Finn »
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back