News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Goat trails in bunkers
« on: June 18, 2022, 04:29:02 PM »
We have flat bottom bunkers. We are getting “goat trails” in the grass faces just above the sand. Looks life a 6” flat shelve. Anyone have any ideas as to why we would be getting these? We’re a little baffled.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:56:00 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ben Malach

Re: Goat trails in bunkers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 09:33:28 PM »
People are walking out of the fronts of bunkers.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 09:41:03 PM »
People are walking out of the fronts of bunkers.

No, it’s all the way around the bunkers. Even on faces too steep to climb out.

Ben Malach

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 11:11:16 PM »
Then it's probably just setting, erosion and washouts. Bunkers evolve and that's the coolest thing about golf courses.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 11:19:44 PM »
We have flat bottom bunkers. We are getting “goat trails” in the grass faces just above the sand. Looks life a 6” flat shelve. Anyone have any ideas as to we would be getting these? We’re a little baffled.

Possibly from where the bunker raking team is raking the edges of the bunker. Using the rake to pull the sand from the floor to the interface of sand and grass. Seen it happen at both Pete Dye courses I’ve worked at. Need to rake from the inside of the bunker.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Alan FitzGerald CGCS MG

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 05:36:55 AM »
I like Anthonys suggestion.

Assuming they were renovated (and how they were redone) there's a chance the soil is settling along the edges.

A few pictures would be great to really see what's going on
Golf construction & maintenance are like creating a masterpiece; Da Vinci didn't paint the Mona Lisa's eyes first..... You start with the backdrop, layer on the detail and fine tune the finished product into a masterpiece

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
We have flat bottom bunkers. We are getting “goat trails” in the grass faces just above the sand. Looks life a 6” flat shelve. Anyone have any ideas as to we would be getting these? We’re a little baffled.

Could it be goats? I kid.

Where is this golf course at? What kind of grass, soil, etc. My guess, like the others said, is the maintenance crew as most golfers generally have no desire to be up on that area (or reason to slowing track around the perimeter of the bank). Raking, edging, flowmowing from the bank. As the others said, a couple of photos would be helpful, if you can figure out how to do it.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 10:30:33 AM »

Perfect Dad joke on Father’s Day!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »

Perfect Dad joke on Father’s Day!

Glad you caught that. Hadn't thought about the Father's Day connection!  ;D ;D ;D

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 11:55:21 AM »
I like Anthonys suggestion.

Assuming they were renovated (and how they were redone) there's a chance the soil is settling along the edges.

A few pictures would be great to really see what's going on

New construction bunkers. Rochester NY. I believe the grass around the bunkers is fescue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back