News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Rose

Re: OT: NBC
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 12:08:31 AM »
as bad or worse than Azinger on NBC.

I don't think anyone on the planet is worse than Azinger.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 01:31:06 AM »
Broadcasting is the most difficult easy job on the planet. Flop sweats are real.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 02:57:42 PM »
John brings up an interesting question...

How plausible is to be a great golf broadcaster?  I liked Peter Aliss, but was he great?  I don't know, but i really loved listening to his broadcasts.  But outside of him, I can't think of even one other broadcaster I am eager to listen to, even I prefer some over others.  And my golf watching days started in the 90s, so don't really know the guys before then.

I'd like to think alot of it is the nature of how golf is played vs other sports,  I certainly enjoy Jim Nance a lot more in his NCAA basketball broadcasts.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 03:16:21 PM »
John brings up an interesting question...

How plausible is to be a great golf broadcaster?  I liked Peter Aliss, but was he great?  I don't know, but i really loved listening to his broadcasts.  But outside of him, I can't think of even one other broadcaster I am eager to listen to, even I prefer some over others.  And my golf watching days started in the 90s, so don't really know the guys before then.

I'd like to think alot of it is the nature of how golf is played vs other sports,  I certainly enjoy Jim Nance a lot more in his NCAA basketball broadcasts.

It's Nantz. Jim Nance, the old Boston Patriot, died June 17, 1992.

Sorry you missed the 70s and 80s, a golden era for golf television commentary in the U.S.

On ABC, there was Jim McKay, Dave Marr and Peter Alliss, with Jack Whitaker joining in 1982, when he moved over from CBS. Before ABC went to an announcer rotation by segment rather than stationing commentators behind greens, it also used Keith Jackson, Frank Gifford and Bud Palmer, with Bill Flemming on interviews and Bob Rosburg on the course, eventually joined by Judy Rankin and a host of others. ABC also invented the on-course wireless camera (at Medinah for the 1975 U.S. Open), which changed telecasts forever.

On CBS, there was Vin Scully, Ken Venturi, Ben Wright, Pat Summerall and Frank Glieber, the core of a team that eventually included Gary McCord. Clive Clark joined at the Masters, replacing Henry Longhurst at the 16th hole. Longhurst was the voice of BBC golf from the 1960s on and also worked the U.S. Open and PGA for ABC before his death. (Nantz replaced Clark on the 16th at Augusta in 1986, a well-timed debut.)

You couldn't go wrong with either group. NBC, without a major and sometimes without a clue then, had decent analysts in Bruce Devlin and later Lee Trevino, but never had a play-by-play commentator the equal of McKay, Scully or Summerall.

The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Kalen Braley

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2022, 03:31:49 PM »
Hey Tim,

Thanks for posting those up, and I have heard of most of those names, although mostly associated with football broadcasts (I loved listening to Keith Jackson).  I do recall Ken Venturi and wasn't especially enamored, but perhaps he was already past his prime!

Ps.  The misspelling of Jim Nance will here forth continue, especially in light of the pedantic anal-ness associated with it.  ;)

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2022, 03:41:01 PM »
Venturi had a most memorable line. To paraphrase,as a player is lining up a putt and plumb bobbing he commented ‘ could never figure out what good that does except if you want to read True Temper’.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 04:48:38 PM »
Hey Tim,

Thanks for posting those up, and I have heard of most of those names, although mostly associated with football broadcasts (I loved listening to Keith Jackson).  I do recall Ken Venturi and wasn't especially enamored, but perhaps he was already past his prime!

Ps.  The misspelling of Jim Nance will here forth continue, especially in light of the pedantic anal-ness associated with it.  ;)

There are a bunch of 1970s U.S. Opens on YouTube. You haven't lived until you hear Henry Longhurst throw it to Keith Jackson on the next hole, and vice versa. Whoa, Nellie!

I left out Bob Goalby as an NBC analyst. He was the least lively of the three. (If you go way back, Ray Scott did golf for both CBS and SNI, which did a lot of the summer tour in the 1960s, and worked with Bob Toski on SNI. Toski was a really good analyst.)
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2022, 04:58:56 PM »
Venturi had a most memorable line. To paraphrase,as a player is lining up a putt and plumb bobbing he commented ‘ could never figure out what good that does except if you want to read True Temper’.

In my experience most plumb bobbers just slow down the pace of play without any benefit in performance and usually added it to their routine after watching golf on TV.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2022, 05:20:52 PM »
When I hit a good drive and get to my ball and it's sitting up nicely in the middle of the fairway with maybe a 7 or 8 iron in, I enjoy providing my own commentary by putting on Ken Venturi's voice and saying "You could not have *placed it* out there any better than that, Pat".

Daryl David

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2022, 05:25:11 PM »

In my experience most plumb bobbers just slow down the pace of play without any benefit in performance and usually added it to their routine after watching golf on TV.

At least plumb bobbing is faster than the aim point straddling.   ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2022, 05:26:52 PM »

At least plumb bobbing is faster than the aim point straddling.   ;D

And doesn't look as ridiculous.....  ;)

I plumb bobbed when i first started playing golf based on what i saw on TV, but gave it up after a few years after learning it was a worthless activity...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back