News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Sweet

OT: NBC
« on: June 16, 2022, 10:01:00 AM »
Tuning in this morning and NBC's coverage is 90% players putting.  The Country Club is a beautiful and challenging course but viewers would never know that.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Erik J. Barzeski

Re: OT: NBC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 10:15:56 AM »
Tuning in this morning and NBC's coverage is 90% players putting.  The Country Club is a beautiful and challenging course but viewers would never know that.
I'm watching on USA and I'm seeing a lot of tee shots, fairway shots, chips… The last five shots, and they're focusing on Rory's approach to 1 right now.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Brad Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »
I’ve been making that complaint for years. Just cherish any moment they aren’t talking about the LIV tour.

And this feels like the first U.S. Open in three years. No fans in 2020, and Torrey Pines stinks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 10:46:42 AM by Brad Lawrence »

Paul Jones

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 10:47:55 AM »
I am watching the featured group at usopen.com - they are showing every shot for Jordan S, Adam S and Max H.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 08:54:19 PM »
I've seen a variety of shots, not just putts, but for me the course doesn't show up well on TV.  I should say, some of the holes don't show up well. I don't know if that's just the nature of the course, or the camera angles, Drones? Are they using them?  In any case, I expect that NBC is trying to do a good job.  It's certainly a welcome change from the usual tour stops.

Ben Malach

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 09:38:49 PM »
Honestly, after watching the Women's open. I am shocked they didn't carry across the great drone shots and wonderful handheld shots. Also, the number of commercials was way more manageable.

Its interesting that the Women's open had the significantly better coverage. NBC needs to hire some better analysts as well. Hopefully they hire Geoff Shackelford to commentate, considering his history with the club and his knowlege of Thomas. 
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

JohnVDB

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 08:35:48 AM »
Honestly, after watching the Women's open. I am shocked they didn't carry across the great drone shots and wonderful handheld shots. Also, the number of commercials was way more manageable.

Its interesting that the Women's open had the significantly better coverage. NBC needs to hire some better analysts as well. Hopefully they hire Geoff Shackelford to commentate, considering his history with the club and his knowlege of Thomas.

There were no commercials during the Women’s Open or any other USGA championship other than the US Open.  There were occasional acknowledgments that it is presented commercial free thanks to Rolex and a few USGA Promos.

Rolex started funding this a few years ago, along with the funding of the publication of the Rules books that are provided free of charge.

Dave Doxey

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 09:04:53 AM »
Regardless of how one feels about LIV, their coverage of the first tournament was a refreshing change from the broadcasts provided by networks.   The coverage of golf shots had to be 3 or 4 times the number covered by networks.  Putting was not the majority.   One shot after another - no long periods of players pacing around, reading yardage books, or walking down the fairway.  No commercials, but I expect that will change.

Like LIV or not, the coverage was excellent.  No wonder that networks talk down LIV.  It is a threat to their model.  I hope that the competition forces networks to improve their product.  If they can do such a good job for the Masters, why not for all tournaments?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 09:48:43 AM »
Like LIV or not, the coverage was excellent.  No wonder that networks talk down LIV.  It is a threat to their model.  I hope that the competition forces networks to improve their product.  If they can do such a good job for the Masters, why not for all tournaments?
LIV is not a true or fair competition as LIV doesn't have to maintain some sort of profitability.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 09:51:00 AM »
I decided a long time ago to try and enjoy what is being broadcast. unfortunately, some of the announcers just get on my nerves, so it doesn't always work.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JohnVDB

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 11:24:13 AM »
Regardless of how one feels about LIV, their coverage of the first tournament was a refreshing change from the broadcasts provided by networks.   The coverage of golf shots had to be 3 or 4 times the number covered by networks.  Putting was not the majority.   One shot after another - no long periods of players pacing around, reading yardage books, or walking down the fairway.  No commercials, but I expect that will change.

Wouldn’t know.  Didn’t watch.  Won’t watch.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 12:51:46 PM »
The Masters is the premier viewing event in all of golf, as far as USA TV broadcasts go. They pick two sponsor and tell them how it’s going to go.

The USGA seems to have signed every advertiser that wanted to be part of the broadcast, and has to oblige to the sponsors demands of when and how. I don’t know this for fact, just going with a common sense analysis of the broadcast.

How no other tournament has unlocked the secret code to The Masters success is amazing.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JohnVDB

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2022, 01:27:16 PM »
The Masters is the premier viewing event in all of golf, as far as USA TV broadcasts go. They pick two sponsor and tell them how it’s going to go.

The USGA seems to have signed every advertiser that wanted to be part of the broadcast, and has to oblige to the sponsors demands of when and how. I don’t know this for fact, just going with a common sense analysis of the broadcast.

How no other tournament has unlocked the secret code to The Masters success is amazing.

The USGA doesn’t have a say in who NBC gets to be a sponsor.

The Masters has figured it out because they have a year-to-year deal with CBS who will do whatever it takes to keep them happy.

The ISGA sold the rights to Fox for a huge payday.  Fox then got NBC to take the contract over at a huge loss to Fox. The USGA realizes that the US Open is the cash cow and can’t put too many restrictions on it at the risk of losing the exposure of the other championships.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2022, 01:37:08 PM »
I thought the USGA did a great job providing me viewing options on portable devices. Equal enough to the Masters. Free. Feels like the PGA wanted me to subscribe to a failing cable network.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 07:32:55 PM »
I have had turn the sound off.  Commentary just way to drippy.  We all have a non-golf off course story .... not relevant on the course.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

mike_beene

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2022, 12:14:34 AM »
It seemed like the face on views of the golfers were too close. The grip would not be in the picture. Difficult to watch a swing when you can’t see the hands.
And Azinger must be haunted by pressure; doesn’t seem he enjoyed his playing days.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2022, 07:48:38 AM »
I’ve seen a ton of criticism of NBC, but I’ve got to say that I’m not really sure what for.  It just seemed like another golf telecast to me, no better and no worse.  Maybe the US Open is held to a higher standard?

Comparisons to The Masters aren’t relevant; there isn’t anything else in the wide, wide world of sports like that telecast.  Even if they had the money, and they probably don’t, the USGA doesn’t have the onions to make the rules that the green jackets do.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2022, 09:32:04 AM »

I’ve seen a ton of criticism of NBC, but I’ve got to say that I’m not really sure what for.  It just seemed like another golf telecast to me, no better and no worse.  Maybe the US Open is held to a higher standard?
1. It did seem to me there were more commercials interrupting the telecast than the other majors or even a typical PGA Tour event
2. More importantly: they missed key moments when happening live, such as showing the leaderboard having changed with Scheffler making birdie to take the lead as someone else was about to hit a shot. Why not show us Scheffler make birdie without the spoiler?

Paul Jones

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2022, 09:54:13 AM »
I did enjoy the last hour of the US Open being commercial free.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

JohnVDB

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 12:48:37 PM »

1. It did seem to me there were more commercials interrupting the telecast than the other majors or even a typical PGA Tour event
2. More importantly: they missed key moments when happening live, such as showing the leaderboard having changed with Scheffler making birdie to take the lead as someone else was about to hit a shot. Why not show us Scheffler make birdie without the spoiler?

Mistakes happen.

Many years ago, I was chairman of the Scoring Committees for the 1997 US Women’s Open,  the USGA website was showing scores as was NBC.  NBC was always racing to be first to show updates before they got on the internet.

With live internet broadcasting today, that might be even more of an issue to them and possibly an overzealous employee clicked a button too early.

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 03:10:36 PM »

The Masters has figured it out because they have a year-to-year deal with CBS who will do whatever it takes to keep them happy.

Say what you want about Faldo but Immelman is a significant downgrade and as bad or worse than Azinger on NBC.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 04:51:47 PM »
Either Faldo or Nance breathes way too close to the microphone. Never can tell which one it is, but it makes my skin crawl.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 05:19:36 PM »
Either Faldo or Nance breathes way too close to the microphone. Never can tell which one it is, but it makes my skin crawl.
Who is Jim Nance?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 08:29:04 AM »
Brother of Larry Nance and uncle of Larry Nance Jr?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back