News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Jon Rahm GCA?
« on: June 14, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »
Heard Jon Rahm's interview today from the Open and he mentioned he loved the architecture and history of courses like the Country Club. He is arguably the second most popular player in Europe behind Rory and maybe top 5 in the USA. It sounds like he has an interest in GCA. Has he contacted or been approached by any current GCA's about putting his name and input into a new design in Europe or the USA? Or is he too young and still too competitive to take a serious interest in golf design. Jack, Arnie and Gary didn't get into GCA professionally until later in their careers right. I would be interested in seeing and playing a Jon Rahm designed course someday.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:14:25 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ronald Montesano

Re: John Rahm GCA?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 12:09:22 PM »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:25:24 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tim Leahy

Re: John Rahm GCA?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 07:14:56 PM »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jaeger Kovich

Re: Jon Rahm GCA?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 10:14:35 PM »
It would certainly be interesting to design a course with someone who is the best driver in golf at the absolute peak of driving importance in golf's history... His short game is pretty creative too.

Do architects approach tour pros or visa versa? I've never really understood how all that stuff worked... His people are certainly welcome to call my people ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 10:12:43 PM »
More architecture speak today.
Commenting to his caddie on how good the third hole is, which is really a cool and unique hole.
The green runs away with a gallery populated cartpath just over the green about 2 feet, and a lake behind, so a miss of the serpentine semi blind fairway can easily result in a loss of spin control and a ball running right through the green.
He also mentioned 7, another unique hole.

3 is the kind've hole you'd usually hear a tour player gripe about rather than embrace.
Refreshing in this era of money grabbing being the dominant topic.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 12:54:36 AM »
 8)  So would JR design is home course for competition or family fun?  Shades of Jack starting 50 some years ago??
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 01:35:26 PM »
More architecture speak today.
Commenting to his caddie on how good the third hole is, which is really a cool and unique hole.
The green runs away with a gallery populated cartpath just over the green about 2 feet, and a lake behind, so a miss of the serpentine semi blind fairway can easily result in a loss of spin control and a ball running right through the green.
He also mentioned 7, another unique hole.

3 is the kind've hole you'd usually hear a tour player gripe about rather than embrace.
Refreshing in this era of money grabbing being the dominant topic.

Jeff,

Great insights, holes like 3 and 10 look to be absolute stunners in pics and TV. Greywalls is the only other course that comes to mind that seems to really incorporate rock outcroppings in play with a similar aesthetic.  Black Rock in Idaho also has lots of rock, but they look very different.

I wonder why they aren't used more as design features, unless they are deemed generally dangerous due to ricochets.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 02:21:46 PM »
For you Kalen,
I'm standing on the path(as are the people in the foreground, just below the green that runs into a lake.
Not something you see every day.
great texture throughout the place.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 02:27:32 PM »
Jeff,

Great pic.  Almost looks like an American version of Ballybunion or something like that.

P.S Would you say those fairways are stimping at 6.5 to 7 or closer to 8?  ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 06:28:03 PM »
Jeff,

Great pic.  Almost looks like an American version of Ballybunion or something like that.

P.S Would you say those fairways are stimping at 6.5 to 7 or closer to 8?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back