News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: USGA Notice to Manufacturers
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2023, 10:17:35 AM »
If this is adopted I am going to be interested in the effect bifurcation has on recreational play.  I suspect recreational golfers will be interested in trying the “elite” ball, at least as a one-off.

Also - Will State am events be considered elite?

I am pretty sure my net senior flight will not.   

Paul Jones

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2023, 10:21:31 AM »
I am sure the guys that still play hickories will be interested in the new ball.  I am guessing that only USGA events will use that ball and not state events.

Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2023, 10:33:58 AM »
The number of people on social media saying in lieu of ball rollback, we should just narrow fairways and grow higher rough is staggering. This whole thing has gone past ludicrous and into plaid. The governing bodies waited way way too long.

Paul Jones

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2023, 10:41:44 AM »
I would also like to see a modal rule limiting tee height to 1 inch - then they could not hit up on the ball and make most drivers obsolete.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2023, 10:42:13 AM »
The number of people on social media saying in lieu of ball rollback, we should just narrow fairways and grow higher rough is staggering. This whole thing has gone past ludicrous and into plaid. The governing bodies waited way way too long.
It's like they weren't paying attention for the last 25+ years when Tiger Proofing was the "solution". Equipment is a commodity that people change on a fairly regular basis and is a much more economical avenue for influence vs. changing the courses.

Ben Sims

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2023, 10:51:31 AM »
It's like they weren't paying attention for the last 25+ years when Tiger Proofing was the "solution". Equipment is a commodity that people change on a fairly regular basis and is a much more economical avenue for influence vs. changing the courses.

Right.

And based on that notion here’s my prediction, bifurcation won’t last. I think that whatever the MLR ball is will become what people want to play.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »
Assuming this thing goes thru as planned...

The only mystery left is whether the PGA Tour is gonna grow a pair and implement their own set of rules to govern their league....like every other major sport does.  Or at the very least decide they gonna follow the USGA rules only for the actual playing of the game, and reject the ones that govern equipment.

Even if it means the players have to figure out how to dial it in with different balls for the two opens and possibly the Masters...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2023, 12:40:28 PM »
And based on that notion here’s my prediction, bifurcation won’t last. I think that whatever the MLR ball is will become what people want to play.
Similar thoughts here with the 2026 start ‘helpfully’ there to permit an opportunity for stocks of current spec balls to be gradually sold off (and lost) and newer spec balls fazed-in.
There’s a business opportunity here too I suspect for another manufacturer to grab some of Titleists premium market share.
More to follow.
Atb

Pat Burke

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2023, 12:41:35 PM »
Well, this should be interesting.

First and foremost, rules are rules, so you’ll have to play by them.

But with the tours battling over LIV and control, this is an interesting time to announce this (though we kind of knew it would be coming).

For many of the top players, equipment contracts are now becoming a bit less % of players incomes with the crazy increases in purses.  That may lessen some pushback from players.

I know some dont care, but equipment changes have derailed players quite often, and now, with the elevated events, and limited fields, forcing a change in the key piece of equipment, which likely will lead to changes in clubs to optimize everything is going to be huge impact.  A career can go south in one season and maybe it’s just me, but that’s going to create an amount of pushback.

Manufacturers reaction should be interesting. Why invest in development of a ball that inherently goes shorter and performs worse for a very small portion of the golfing world.  Potentially leading to redesign of drivers to better fit those balls?  Obviously depends on where the line is drawn. Professionals/top ams/college/top juniors

A lot to chew on and watch for reactions.

Tim Martin

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2023, 12:59:54 PM »
Well, this should be interesting.

First and foremost, rules are rules, so you’ll have to play by them.

But with the tours battling over LIV and control, this is an interesting time to announce this (though we kind of knew it would be coming).

For many of the top players, equipment contracts are now becoming a bit less % of players incomes with the crazy increases in purses.  That may lessen some pushback from players.

I know some dont care, but equipment changes have derailed players quite often, and now, with the elevated events, and limited fields, forcing a change in the key piece of equipment, which likely will lead to changes in clubs to optimize everything is going to be huge impact.  A career can go south in one season and maybe it’s just me, but that’s going to create an amount of pushback.

Manufacturers reaction should be interesting. Why invest in development of a ball that inherently goes shorter and performs worse for a very small portion of the golfing world.  Potentially leading to redesign of drivers to better fit those balls?  Obviously depends on where the line is drawn. Professionals/top ams/college/top juniors

A lot to chew on and watch for reactions.

Pat-I thought the same thing for purposes of developing the ball to meet the new standards. The guys that they would be for don’t pay for them anyway. A lot of R&D cost for little to no return won’t be found in many businesses plans.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:04:00 PM by Tim Martin »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2023, 01:07:57 PM »
Golf's plan to roll back the ball and rein in big-hitters

”Telegraph Sport has learned that the impending announcement is believed to centre around “a discussion document” about reining back the ball and essentially introducing restrictions that will ultimately decrease the distance it will travel, even under optimal conditions.”

• …”after a six-month consulting period in which the manufacturers have voiced objections and shared ideas, Telegraph Sport has learned the R&A and USGA - despite limiting shafts to a maximum of 46ins last year - seems to be primarily focused on decreasing the ball and not drastically overhauling the rules on clubs, which could affect recreational golfers.”

• “We think we can make changes to the golf ball that can impact the longest hitters but have really minimal impact on the average drive distance for the recreational golfers,” Thomas Pagel, the USGA chief governance officer, said in 2022.
Read more:

https://sports.yahoo.com/r-want-limit-far-golf-172649305.html?src=rss
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 01:09:57 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Martin

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2023, 01:16:19 PM »

Right.

I don’t think old guys and short hitters will macho up in droves to play the new ball if they can play a ball that goes father under the rules. Call me crazy. ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 06:27:42 PM by Tim Martin »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2023, 01:22:51 PM »
I don't believe its physics that holds back the driver. Regulations still limits its potential. Yet year after year the manufacturers spend millions chasing a few extra yards of distance and a few less yards in accuracy.
The same will be true with a ball change. Manufactures will look for any way possible to push and stretch the regulations in their favor. And then at the end of the day the marketing department will find some reason that the new ball will be better for the weekend warrior and sell it to them at a premium.

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2023, 03:17:21 PM »
Titleist and Bridgestone, to name two, have predictably grumbled about today's announcement.

They need not. Their latest and greatest ball will continue to be bought and used by 99.9 percent of players. That 0.1 percent, high-level touring pros and amateur, will use a ball they often get for free, and presumably made with the same tender loving care the special edition balls they use now are made with. It'll just be from a 2007 or 2005 design, whatever they find will pass muster so it goes 15 yards less off the tee and players thus have one more club in.

At which point the manufacturers can advertise, "Play the ball the pros can't play." And also, "Play the ball they want only the pros to play." At a premium.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Anthony Butler

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2023, 03:24:28 PM »
While the best (and least disruptive) technology solution appears to be taking weight out of the ball, I sure hope us recreational golfers can still play the 1.62oz ball..

I would hate to be floating my drive up the 15th fairway at NSW into the typical summer 25mph North East wind. it might just land back at my feet.
Next!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2023, 03:38:08 PM »
Watched a player top his tee shot 50 yds the other day.
Presumably if he happened to be using a ball bifurcated to todays proposed spec it would only have gone about 45 yds?
Later saw the same player trickle a 4 ft putt that only just toppled into the hole. Presumably using a bifurcated proposed pro spec ball the ball would still be sitting short on the lip.
Sic!
Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2023, 03:48:05 PM »
If this is adopted I am going to be interested in the effect bifurcation has on recreational play.  I suspect recreational golfers will be interested in trying the “elite” ball, at least as a one-off.

Also - Will State am events be considered elite?

I am pretty sure my net senior flight will not.

This is the same playbook the R & A used when they phased out the 1.62-in ball between the late 70's and early 90's.

They made the bigger ball mandatory for the Amateur Championship.  All those players switched.  Then those players petitioned to make the small ball illegal for other amateur events.  Over the years, eventually it worked its way back to club competitions, and after 10-15 years the small ball was a sign of weakness that nobody wanted to admit to.

[It helped that it was noticeably smaller.]

Thomas Dai

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2023, 05:36:29 PM »
This is the same playbook the R & A used when they phased out the 1.62-in ball between the late 70's and early 90's.
They made the bigger ball mandatory for the Amateur Championship.  All those players switched.  Then those players petitioned to make the small ball illegal for other amateur events.  Over the years, eventually it worked its way back to club competitions, and after 10-15 years the small ball was a sign of weakness that nobody wanted to admit to.
[It helped that it was noticeably smaller.]
The covert machinations of Lord Blackadder rather than a Baldrick like “cunning plan.”
Atb

Mike Bodo

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2023, 06:22:57 PM »
Here's the best explanation I've heard regarding the reasons for the two large governinng bodies reigning in the golf ball vs. equipment and who will be impacted the most. It isn't the longest of the long ball hitters, but the average and lower club head speed players who stand to be most negatively affected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmXiaY3iAw&t=1950s

Start at the 4:25 mark in the video and listen to the debate between Fairways of Life host, Matt Adams (Golf Channel journo) and his producer, Dominic.

There are only a handful of guys on the tour that swing the driver at 127 mph, which is the speed robotic testing will be peformed at going forward from the current speed of 120 mph. The average PGA Tour player driver club head speed is 115 mph and has been around this mark several years. This means there are a lot of players whose club head speed is in the mid 100's. In mathematical terms, the guys at the upper end of the club head speed spectrum will lose 5 - 9 yds. from their current driving distance average with the ball rollback, whereas players such as Joel Dhamen, Tom Hoge and Brendan Todd, who whose club head speed ranges from 105 - 110 mph stand to lose 30 - 40 yds. It makes absolutely no sense - especially if your average driving distance is 280 yds., as the distance gap between the fastest to the slower swingers is going to grow disproportionately larger.

I watched Cam Young play a different TPC Sawgrass course from Max Homa and Jordan Spieth Sat. morning with his drives flying beyond theirs in the air and finishing 30 - 40 yds. further. I was blown away. That gap is only going to get worse, not better, with the ball rollback.

None of the professional tours are going to go along with this. There are too many sponorship and ad dollars at stake. If the R&A and USGA are adamant in implementing the rolled back ball in their prized championships they risk a lot of the best professional players boycotting their tournaments out of protest.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

James Reader

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2023, 06:28:51 PM »
Here's the best explanation I've heard regarding the reasons for the two large governinng bodies reigning in the golf ball vs. equipment and who will be impacted the most. It isn't the longest of the long ball hitters, but the average and lower club head speed players who stand to be most negatively affected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmXiaY3iAw&t=1950s

Start at the 4:25 mark in the video and listen to the debate between Fairways of Life host, Matt Adams (Golf Channel journo) and his producer, Dominic.

There are only a handful of guys on the tour that swing the driver at 127 mph, which is the speed robotic testing will be peformed at going forward from the current speed of 120 mph. The average PGA Tour player driver club head speed is 115 mph and has been around this mark several years. This means there are a lot of players whose club head speed is in the mid 100's. In mathematical terms, the guys at the upper end of the club head speed spectrum will lose 5 - 9 yds. from their current driving distance average with the ball rollback, whereas players such as Joel Dhamen, Tom Hoge and Brendan Todd, who whose club head speed ranges from 105 - 110 mph stand to lose 30 - 40 yds. It makes absolutely no sense - especially if your average driving distance is 280 yds., as the distance gap between the fastest to the slower swingers is going to grow disproportionately larger.

I watched Cam Young play a different TPC Sawgrass course from Max Homa and Jordan Spieth Sat. morning with his drives flying beyond theirs in the air and finishing 30 - 40 yds. further. I was blown away. That gap is only going to get worse, not better, with the ball rollback.

None of the professional tours are going to go along with this. There are too many sponorship and ad dollars at stake. If the R&A and USGA are adamant in implementing the rolled back ball in their prized championships they risk a lot of the best professional players boycotting their tournaments out of protest.

So the longest hitters lose, say, 2% and the (relatively) shorter hitters lose 10%+?!  i can’t see how that can be correct.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2023, 06:33:16 PM »
So the longest hitters lose, say, 2% and the (relatively) shorter hitters lose 10%+?!  i can’t see how that can be correct.
It's not. I'm not sure what he's talking about.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2023, 06:34:25 PM »
According to the physics and math, that was Matt Adams take on it. It sounds plausible if the math is correct. I've yet to see anyone disprove this.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

James Reader

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2023, 06:49:48 PM »
According to the physics and math, that was Matt Adams take on it. It sounds plausible if the math is correct. I've yet to see anyone disprove this.

That’s a big “if”.  I’m pretty sure the math(s) isn’t correct.

Tim Martin

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2023, 06:56:18 PM »
If the R&A and USGA are adamant in implementing the rolled back ball in their prized championships they risk a lot of the best professional players boycotting their tournaments out of protest.

I don’t think even one player will boycott a U.S. or British Open for the reason stated above.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back