News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan_Callahan

Re: Favorite PGA Tour event to watch
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2023, 02:00:37 PM »
For me, there is a big difference between watching golf on TV and in-person. I have loved going to the events at TPC Boston, TPC River Highlands, and Westchester. Doesn't matter who is playing.

On TV, if Tiger isn't playing, I honestly don't care. I might tune in for match play simply because it's different. But the only non-major golf I consistently watch on TV is European Tour events when they are at cool courses.

Tim Martin

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2023, 02:01:56 PM »
I’ll take a different tact and say the PGA tournament that I miss the most is The Westchester Classic contested on the Walter Travis designed  Westchester CC West course. It’s also one of me favorite courses to play.
Tim,

Growing up in Westchester I always liked the Westchester Classic and it was the only Tour event I attended as a young kid. Then, too, it was special because when I was in college I worked at Manero’s Restaurant in Greenwich where players would often come for dinner. The restaurant was owned by Nick Manero, who like his brother Tony, won a USGA championship.

Tim-Manero’s was an all-timer. As much as I liked the steaks I think I remember the gorgonzola salad and garlic bread the best. The first time I went was in the early 70’s before a Ranger game and was lucky enough to keep going occasionally until they closed. The butcher shop was also terrific and I believe it’s the only vestige of the original place left albeit operating under a different name and not in the original location. Finally the Bruce Museum followed by Manero’s was tough to beat.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2023, 09:17:02 PM »
Tim,

The only thing you didn’t mention was the Maneros steak sandwich. Very hard to resist.

Then, too, the old timers were classic. Peter Bracio was my favorite. He was always invited down to Doral and came back with a dozen shirts for the boys. Peter was just incredibly gifted when it came to the customers.

I still remember the service for Mr. Manero when he passed. After the service we all went to his home on Glenville Road and hit golf balls in the backyard.

Too bad the property on Steamboat Road was just too valuable for Nicky Jr to avoid selling it.
Tim Weiman

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2023, 10:03:19 PM »
I’ll take a different tact and say the PGA tournament that I miss the most is The Westchester Classic contested on the Walter Travis designed  Westchester CC West course. It’s also one of me favorite courses to play.
Tim,

Growing up in Westchester I always liked the Westchester Classic and it was the only Tour event I attended as a young kid. Then, too, it was special because when I was in college I worked at Manero’s Restaurant in Greenwich where players would often come for dinner. The restaurant was owned by Nick Manero, who like his brother Tony, won a USGA championship.

I worked across the street from there for years. Ate there countless times. Had no idea they had won USGA championships!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back