News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Katona

If this avenue of Tour play is approved by the brain trust housed at Wentworth, the issue of World Points lost and other things related to qualifying for major events may be moot.

I'm thinking DJ is getting some very sound strategic potentially problem-solving advice from his team.  I'm anxious to see how this one plays out.

https://progolfweekly.com/dustin-johnson-applies-for-membership-on-european-dp-world-tour/

Tom Bacsanyi

I thought that this would happen. The LIV players need to play somewhere in between events to stay sharp, there's only 8 events on the current schedule. You may see some big names playing on the DP and the Asian tour in between LIV weeks. This will really put the heat on the PGA tour if this becomes a thing.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

John Kavanaugh

So, we get to see more marquee players on the European courses that we love? The horror.

Ally Mcintosh

This is false.

The journalist who wrote the article for the Telegraph apologised the day after saying he had got it wrong.

Pity. I liked the idea of seeing what might happen.

John Kavanaugh

You guis invented fake news.

Bruce Katona

That was my bad JK, no one else's..........I read the news; and like many of our esteemed reporting outlets (NY Times, NY Post, Washington Post) I did not double check the facts and posted what I thought would be an interesting topic to debate.

Mea culpa

John Kavanaugh

No problem. DJ most likely told a reputable journalist off the record. At least this guy didn’t write a book. It will come out as true just as no one cares.

V_Halyard

This sort of aged itself out...
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Kalen Braley

The DP so far hasn't doled out the same punishment as the PGATour, but they are no doubt on a similar track...

In a statement released to media on Friday, Pelley revealed that the likes of Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Richard Bland, Martin Kaymer, Ian Poulter, Bernd Wiesberger, Sam Horsfield, Adrian Otaegui, Oliver Fisher, Graeme McDowell, Wade Ormsby and Pablo Larrazabal will all be fined £100,000 ($125,000) and suspended from participating in three DP World Tour events next month:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/dp-world-tour-hands-out-fines-suspensions-to-liv-golfers

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Dustin Johnson Applies for Membership on The European DP World Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 04:33:08 PM »

The DP so far hasn't doled out the same punishment as the PGATour, but they are no doubt on a similar track...
Ehh, not really. The 3 events the players are suspended from the Scottish Open, Barbasol, and Barracuda. All are co-sanctioned PGA Tour events, so by way of the PGA tour suspension they would have already been suspended from those events anyway.

They also made this announcement the week of the BMW International, in which LIV players participate, and the have made no comment on the JP McManus which takes place prior to the Scottish Open.
So other than the fine, no other punishment has been applied by the DP World Tour. DP could actually have a lot of power here if they want it, since they already do business with the Saudis and the rest of the middle east it may be more out of line for them to shun LIV entirely. But new talks of strengthening the strategic alliance with the PGA Tour would suggest they are more concerned than they should be, or are utilizing their position to extract more from a concerned PGA Tour.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back