News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: Bandon in a Tsunami
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 11:26:59 PM »
It's all about the golf!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 07:42:09 AM »
Portland has had earthquakes recently.  There was a 5.0 early in the morning one day that scared the hell out of me.  When I got to work at Nike, many file cabinets had been opened, papers were all over and there were a few cracks on the wall.

That was a 5.0.   IIRC, a 7.0 is 100 times stronger than a 5.0 - I can't imagine what that would do out there!

PS - I started an earlier thread on a similar topic "The long-term effect of waves on Bandon's courses":   http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?;topic=44147.0

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 07:48:05 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »
Sadly, with the news out of Turkey I started to think about issues that could arise in Bandon.  Crazy to think about the event and loss of life in a place in the Pacific Northwest.

My first trip to Bandon was a few years ago and I never even thought about things like an evacuation plan, etc.
"Pure Michigan"

Alex Miller

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2023, 06:16:51 PM »
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/2/8/2151788/-Volcanos-earthquakes-and-tsunamis-are-all-linked-to-global-warming-expect-the-unexpected

This article is talking about earthquakes from glacial rebound. So yes all those living in Greenland and Antarctica should raise their alert level.  ::)

In the case of a Juan De Fuca megaquake, Bandon may be one of the few places along the Oregon coast that is safe from a tsunami. However for those living along the 101 rescue resources have difficulty getting through to those who make it to higher ground (like at Bandon). Portland and Seattle would both have issues to deal with at population centers and getting resources to all effected would take more time than needed for many.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2023, 06:25:56 PM »
It would make a great zombie movie. The twist being that it is impossible to tell if a caddie got turned.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back