News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Delahunty

New projects or renovations - San Francisco Bay area
« on: July 14, 2022, 12:41:25 AM »
I'm looking for some assistance from my GCA friends.

I am travelling from Melbourne, Australia to the US west coast on 31 July with the super from our golf club to inspect new varieties of bentgrasses which aren't presently available in Australia and talk to some clubs about renovation or restoration projects.  We are intending to visit courses and bentgrass trials in LA, SF, Oregon, Utah and Las Vegas.

We will be in the SF bay area from 2 to 5 August and it looks like some of our schedule may now have opened up.  I would be grateful for any suggestions as to:
  • which clubs are carrying out renovations or greens replacements as we are keen to see and chat to as many people in the area as to grass selection;
  • otherwise any renovations/restorations which are worth seeing;
  • any new course projects;
  • any established courses which are worth seeing or playing (as we may now have time to play a round or two).
Also, if any of the GCAers are keen on catching up in that time and want to talk architecture or turfgrass to a couple of Aussie guys, please let me know.

Mark Kiely

Re: New projects or renovations - San Francisco Bay area
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 02:08:39 AM »
Lake Merced is in the midst of a major renovation. (Gil Hanse)
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 03:48:13 AM »
Across the bay in Alameda are a couple of courses that recently underwent renovation at Corica Park. Also Baylands was reopened in 2018 on the former site of Palo Alto muni course.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 08:20:22 AM »
Lake Merced is in the midst of a major renovation. (Gil Hanse)

Thanks, Mark.  That is already on our list of proposed visits.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 08:51:06 AM »
There has been a lot of work in the Bay Area over the past several years.

In San Francisco:

Hanse-Wagner redesign at Lake Merced. Course will reopen in October.

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/lake-merced-to-reopen-restored-course-in-october

Hanse-Wagner will begin renovation work on the Lake at Olympic in November.

On the Peninsula:

Kyle Phillips redesign of the Menlo Club in Menlo Park.

Forest Richardson redesign of Palo Alto muni. Now called Baylands.

The status of a possible renovation of Sharp Park in Pacifica is uncertain. GCA Jay Blasi would be the guy to contact.

https://www.sfpublicgolf.org/

In the East Bay:

Both courses at Corica Park (Alameda muni) have been/are being redesigned.

https://golf.com/travel/courses/muni-mondays-corica-park-north-course-renovation/

Todd Eckenrode did a renovation at Diablo CC in Danville.

https://originsgolfdesign.com/todd-eckenrode-origins-golf-design-proud-to-see-diablo-country-club-win-renovation-of-the-year/

In the North Bay:

James Duncan is developing a new course (Brambles) that should open next year about 60-70 miles north of SF.

https://www.jhduncan.com/brambles

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/brambles-course-construction-on-track-for-2021-completion

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:57:18 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:14:04 AM »
Going further back in time (10-20 years), there has been renovation work at the Meadow Club, Claremont, Peacock Gap, San Francisco GC and both the Lake & Ocean courses at Olympic. I cannot remember how long ago the Cal Club was redone.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:26:05 AM by David_Tepper »

John Handley

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 10:26:51 AM »
[quote author=David_Tepper link=topic=71169.msg1710597#msg1710597 date=165780 I cannot remember how long ago the Cal Club was redone.

The Cal Club was redone in 2006
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 11:27:26 AM »
I would recommend reaching out to Josh Smith, the superintendent at Orinda CC, which is about 20 miles east of SF.  He is active on Twitter and IG.  Orinda (Watson 1924) was renovated in 2015 by Todd Eckenrode, assisted by George Waters and Brett Hochstein...and of course Josh.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 12:33:59 PM »
When and where will you be in Utah?  I know next to nothing about grass, but architecture chat is always great!

DFarron

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 07:34:28 PM »
Palo Alto Hills has done renovation not sure if they are done.

If you can get on Menlo CC, you won’t regret it !

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 10:13:35 PM »
Quote from: David_Tepper link=topic=71169.msg1710597#msg1710597 date=165780 I cannot remember how long ago the Cal Club was redone.

The Cal Club was redone in 2006
[/quote

I was playing with someone who was a Cal Club member last month and made a comment about their recent renovation...he looked at me like I was crazy.  Time really does fly by.

Cade Cutchen

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2022, 12:14:14 AM »
As others have mentioned Lake Merced is currently undergoing a massive renovation. I am on the agronomy team there and it would be great to show you around. Although all grass will be planted by when you would be in town, you would still be able to see the different phases of work. Feel free to DM to talk more.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 04:39:36 AM »
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. 

We have followed up on several of them.

I'm looking forward to chatting with some turfheads and hopefully some GCAers as well as visiting the turf breeders, seed companies, turfgrass trials and some special courses.

If there's anyone who wants to catch up to talk architecture stuff, we might be available on 1 August in LA, 4 August in SF and 8 August in Salt Lake City.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back