News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

Watched some Liv golf.
« on: June 09, 2022, 10:05:40 AM »
The cannon start is nice.
AKA Mayday

Robert Kimball

Re: Watched some Liv golf.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 10:08:10 AM »
I was curious enough to see if it was available in US, but apparently not.  Not on cable at least. 

So, a true shotgun start, huh?  Interesting. . .

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 10:14:25 AM »
Available live in the U.S. on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-exyLWw5pq8

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »
On Liv’s site.
AKA Mayday

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 11:23:57 AM »
Mickelson needs to cut off the stubble on his face, he looks terrible. Why he is growing a beard is beyond me.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 11:31:47 AM »
I was really hoping for something different than a Poor Mans PGA Tour  :(

Mark Smolens

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 11:33:41 AM »
"Poor Man's"? Oh the irony here on GCA...

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 11:45:17 AM »
   I suppose it’s stupid, but I feel I’d need a shower after I watched.

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »
Mickelson needs to cut off the stubble on his face, he looks terrible. Why he is growing a beard is beyond me.

Maybe it's an Arab thing  ;D

Paul Jones

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 12:54:23 PM »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 12:57:17 PM »

Couldn't find it by looking up the "Stihl Chainsaw Khashoggi Memorial Jamboree".  ::)

Getting in bed with the murderous Saudi regime and the treasonous former president of the United States is bad...no...evil juju.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Greg Clark

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 01:00:14 PM »
Watched it a bit.  Complete snoozefest.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 01:11:45 PM »
Su-Ann is not happy with the temperature LOL

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »
Saudi money aside, I actually think they are doing a lot of interesting things.

I think there are going to be a ton more guys who take the money and join in Portland. Now that they've seen that the Majors aren't going to blackball players who play in LIV events, why wouldn't they take guaranteed money and a more relaxed schedule?

Let's be honest, 80% of PGA Tour events are super boring to watch and could benefit from some extra formatting. And winning all but ~4 non major event do nothing for a player's "legacy".

The PGA Tour's letter this morning was straight out of the Onion. Mocking players for only thinking about money when the Commissioner makes what, $10mln a year...running a "nonprofit" that just built some massive shrine HQ for itself?  ::) ::)

So, while I was really skeptical a couple of months ago, I actually think this might have some legs.
H.P.S.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 01:26:54 PM »
I had to turn it on just to see how the coverage is.......so far so good - I missed the cannon - Damn It!

The coverage and commentary reminds me more of the BBC covering The Open rather than US tv covering a Tour event.

Given this is their 1st go - passing grade +.

I have no illusions regarding the backers; there are far bigger problems in the world than oil money financing things.

If I believed it a good investment I would purchase oil stocks, shares in adult beverage companies, cigarette companies, green technology, auto makers, META,  etc.  Never was much of a social investment stalwart. 

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2022, 01:35:49 PM »
I think there are going to be a ton more guys who take the money and join in Portland. Now that they've seen that the Majors aren't going to blackball players who play in LIV events, why wouldn't they take guaranteed money and a more relaxed schedule?
You don't know that "the majors" (all of them) aren't going to. The PGA and the Masters still could, and the U.S. Open could next year.

The PGA Tour's letter this morning was straight out of the Onion. Mocking players for only thinking about money when the Commissioner makes what, $10mln a year...running a "nonprofit" that just built some massive shrine HQ for itself?  ::) ::) 
It was bad, but at the same time… Commissioners make a lot of money.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/roger-goodells-astronomical-pay-revealed-nfl-commissioner-topped-125-million-over-past-two-years-combined/
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2022, 03:29:27 PM »
As far as the  majors go--Some players qualify as past champs, etc.  But more get in from the World Ranking Points.  Let's see how that shakes out for these events.  May be much tougher for the average player to get into the majors.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2022, 03:49:25 PM »
The vast majority of players play for cash and not history. I’m sure a lot of single major guys would have gladly traded it for an 8 or 9 digit payout. Even more non major winners would happily take the money without the uncertainty of needing that one good week to lock in some legacy with a good cash out.

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2022, 05:00:51 PM »
Not watching, not really interested, but I am wondering if He Hate Me is in the field.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2022, 05:20:15 PM »
S L O W.  Sixteen three-balls in the field and they took 4:48, or thereabouts. If they want to liven up golf, at least get it into secon d gear.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:28:28 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2022, 06:25:44 PM »
It didn’t seem like it was very well watched; YouTube said 97K watching when I signed in halfway through. The telecast is OK. Overall it felt like watching the European tour on any Thursday morning. I don’t think it’s a great look that half of the field is at +3 or worse. Maybe it’s just a really strong test of golf over there, but ultimately there just aren’t that many of the world’s best players there at the moment. It certainly doesn’t make sense to make a judgment on some thing one day into the first event, but just watching today it was a hard to see anything special about it other than the amount of money they’re playing for. The team component comes across as very silly in my opinion.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2022, 06:39:59 PM »
S L O W.  Sixteen three-balls in the field and they took 4:48, or thereabouts. If they want to liven up golf, at least get it into secon d gear.
Yeah, if they want to truly innovate… make the rounds 4:00 with penalty shots if you take longer than that. Plus, imagine the drama if one group of non-counting scorers holds up another group so that their team can win the team component.  :)

Every partial five minutes you're over four hours is two strokes. 4:00:01? Two strokes. 4:05:35? Four strokes. Get your butts in gear.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 06:51:34 PM »
and it should be LIV, which is roman numerals for 54, the number of holes played. By the way, since it is Saudi Arabia money, why aren't they using (western) arabic numbers, or require the players to record their scores using roman numerals ;D

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2022, 07:32:16 PM »
Let's be honest, 80% of PGA Tour events are super boring to watch and could benefit from some extra formatting. And winning all but ~4 non major event do nothing for a player's "legacy".

I agree that most PGA Tour events are pretty boring, but the problem I have is that the LIV format seems even worse -- especially since there's no real pressure. They're basically playing in exhibitions; they've already gotten their money.

They'd have to start playing on excellent courses to get me to watch unless they do something more interesting with the format.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2022, 07:38:47 PM »
I didn't and won't watch but wondered if they are letting players wear shorts. I have always thought that was a dumb rule. Since honor has gone out the window, do the players still have to keep their own score and sign scorecards? ::)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back