News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Best parking lot scene
« on: June 08, 2022, 10:08:40 PM »
I finally played William J. Devine in Dorchester, Massachusetts last week. We pulled in at 3:30 PM on Friday and there were about a dozen people enjoying the afternoon - drinking, grilling, smoking, playing music. I went in to the shop, told them how festive I found it, and they told me just wait.

The course is very good and is an intact example of what golf was like a hundred years ago.

We finished in the gloaming, and as promised there were now fifty people gathered in the parking lot. We put our clubs in the trunk and joined in for a beer and some conversation. What other courses feature an excellent social scene in the car park? My course doesn't even have a clubhouse.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Cal Seifert

Re: Best parking lot scene
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 10:14:30 PM »
Obvious answer is Bethpage. I have only ever played with a tee time but I’m sure the combination of people sleeping in their cars and time to kill makes for a fun parking lot.

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 03:53:02 AM »
I finally played William J. Devine in Dorchester, Massachusetts last week. We pulled in at 3:30 PM on Friday and there were about a dozen people enjoying the afternoon - drinking, grilling, smoking, playing music. I went in to the shop, told them how festive I found it, and they told me just wait.

The course is very good and is an intact example of what golf was like a hundred years ago.

We finished in the gloaming, and as promised there were now fifty people gathered in the parking lot. We put our clubs in the trunk and joined in for a beer and some conversation. What other courses feature an excellent social scene in the car park? My course doesn't even have a clubhouse.

What? People were sitting outside the clubhouse drinking and grilling BYO? Sounds a bit odd, but cool.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 07:44:31 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 06:35:25 AM »
Told you, Michael.   ;)

Food trucks may be in the offing at the restored Cobb's Creek.  8)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 06:48:04 AM »
An empty or near empty carpark likely means an empty or near empty golf course. Perfect for those of us who cherish the peace, tranquility, serenity etc that golf can provide as against the hurly-burly of life that goes on elsewhere.
Each to their own though.
Atb
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:50:48 AM by Thomas Dai »

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 07:16:12 AM »
Keney Park GC in Hartford, Connecticut has a lively parking lot scene. While I don’t see grilling going on there is no shortage of people hanging out drinking, smoking and playing music on any given day. The lot is across the entrance road and away from the clubhouse and in the perfect spot for some partying. Since recreational marijuana was legalized Hartford’s finest are not concerned with patrolling the lot in the same fashion they used to and will occasionally drive by but not enter. I’ve never encountered any issues and always enjoyed the post game atmosphere. City owned courses as indicated are usually the forum for such activities.

There are no shortage of Damon Runyan type characters at Bethpage. Just watching games being made and bets settled in the parking lot is worth the price of admission.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 07:19:34 AM by Tim Martin »

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 07:27:57 AM »
Cultural differences. There are a significant number of GB&(to a lesser extent)I clubs where the secretary's antennae can be off the charts for things like golfers having the temerity to even (gasp) change their shoes in the car park.

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 08:58:37 AM »
Parking lot scenes tend to go hand in hand with Munis as inside restaurant/bar accommodations are often limited for any number of reasons.   

That being said, there isn't anything in the game much cooler than an old, dank, austere, spartan municipal clubhouse.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 10:57:10 AM »
Must be an East Coast thing,

I've played all over the Western US and never heard of such a thing....

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 11:05:58 AM »
Goat Hill has a very lively patio area especially on Fridays. Not technically the parking lot but the party spills into the parking lot. A wonderful scene and a hub for the community.

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 11:15:50 AM »

You need to get out here.    ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 12:00:31 PM »

Seems like a copper dream for catching dui drivers. Cops don't need to ask how much you drank...they can film ya! 😎

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 12:32:42 PM »

Seems like a copper dream for catching dui drivers. Cops don't need to ask how much you drank...they can film ya! 😎

Ciao

Big rash of police filming guys for hours drinking beer in municipal golf course parking lots. ::)  GMAB

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »

Ciao

Big rash of police filming guys for hours drinking beer in municipal golf course parking lots. ::)  GMAB

If they really wanna hit pay dirt, just setup a few DUI stops outside any college or NFL stadium after game day...

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 01:40:14 PM »
An empty or near empty carpark likely means an empty or near empty golf course. Perfect for those of us who cherish the peace, tranquility, serenity etc that golf can provide as against the hurly-burly of life that goes on elsewhere.
Each to their own though.
Atb
I'm with you, my favorite parking lot scenes are where they tell me how to lock the gate behind me when I leave.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 03:20:05 PM »

Ciao

There is about a 90% chance that Mr Moore was partying WITH the Cops :)

https://bppa.org/the-boston-police-patrolmens-association-golf-tournament/
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Craig Sweet

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 08:51:41 PM »
Unfortunately, Montana has a law, and it is posted at all golf courses, that you can't bring booze from off property.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 07:03:44 AM »
Parking lot scenes tend to go hand in hand with Munis as inside restaurant/bar accommodations are often limited for any number of reasons.   

That being said, there isn't anything in the game much cooler than an old, dank, austere, spartan municipal clubhouse.

this...
though the parking lot park scene sounds pretty good.
Saw a similar scene at Anstruther, though it was simple overflow from a packed clubhouse on a Friday night.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back