GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

OT--If you were Commissioner Monahan, how do you handle the Saudi threat?

(1/13) > >>

Sam Kestin:
This is more a strategy/tactics question than it is a question of right/wrong or an invitation to pass judgment on who has done what here. Whether one agrees or disagrees with the choices various people have made vis a vie the upcoming LIV Golf events, I am curious what the roundtable here thinks about what the PGA TOUR should do next.

The best piece of leverage against the players (to me anyway) seems to be major championship participation and it doesn't look to me like the PGA TOUR is going to get the kind of support from the majors that they might like in this situation.

If you were Commissioner Monahan...what would be your next moves?

Buck Wolter:
Kill the Champions Tour and put the money into purses.

Jim O’Kane:

--- Quote from: Buck Wolter on June 08, 2022, 06:28:02 PM ---Kill the Champions Tour and put the money into purses.

--- End quote ---

Man, they can't do that to those guys. Many of them helped grow the tour to what it is, and set the stage for the trampoline effect when Tiger came along and purses exploded.

What would become of those guys? Just leave them with nowhere to compete? Back to club pro jobs?

Pat Burke:
Champions is an interesting animal now
What Ive heard   Many could be challenged

Purses Hugely subsidized from PGA tour

Originally, many players really needed the champions tour. Pensions were not much if anything for the founding players.  Competition was one thing, but the income was a big thing for many.
Now we are in an age that many of the “exempt” players have substantial pensions and should be pretty secure. 
It’s a huge opportunity for guys like me who have nothing, but the vast majority are fully vested and should be pretty solid .

Some “names” just don’t need to play all the time, and names drive revenues, like it or not.

I do t want to see it go away, but a significant restructure could loom if LIV has an impact

David Kelly:

* Ditch the year round schedule.
* Ditch the Fed Ex system
* Drastically increase the purses and points in whatever new system you come up with and prioritize the  traditionally prominent Tour events like the former Crosby, former Hope, San Diego, LA, Phoenix, Colonial, Nelson, Hilton Head, Bay Hill, Memorial, Canadian and a few others and make them the backbone of the tour and the ones that 90% of the top players will play.
* Otherwise greatly reduce the number of events and make the tournaments that do survive but aren't part of the above rota low priority and low points.
* Reinvigorate the WGC tournaments that they have let die on the vine and make them true world tournaments. Have one in early January in Australia, have one in Asia in the fall and have one in Continental Europe. Incentivize players to play in them by having high purses and making it a requirement to play in a certain number of them.
* After the Memorial there really isn't an important non-major tournament for the rest of the year.  Re-invigorate the Western Open and move it around the Midwest to prominent golf clubs.
* Move the match play tournament to early August and [play it at an architecturally interesting golf course.
* Since they are no longer the only game in town the Tour will need to set itself up so that the top players are facing off against each other much more often.  That means fewer tournaments but more money on the line in the ones that survive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version