News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gareth Williams

The Centurion Club - Hertfordshire UK
« on: October 22, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »
Have any GCA members been to visit this new club/course for a tour of the facility? Here is the website;

www.centurionclub.co.uk

As I am moving in the next 6 months from Surrey to the Herts/Bucks area I wanted to have a look at this new club to see what the set up was like. We (a good friend who is a member of Ashridge - and myself) visited this weekend and were shown around by one of the owners, chap called Graham.

I'm sure the club and course have real potential but I really do think they are going to struggle. The course is quite close to the M1 motorway near it's junction with the M25 so there is always going to noise akin to Walton Heath in proximity to the M25. There are some very interesting holes and the acquisition of mature woodland has given the designer scope to design a course that looks more "finished" as such.

It going to be compared to The Grove but it's going for a non corporate market where the Grove is so strong that way. Also from a cost point of view it's as expensive as Woburn, if not more so....which is a tough ask for a totally new place. The course has some great looking holes and the greens were exceptional even for this stage/time of the year. I would say it is very much like Bearwood Lakes (where I was a member for 4-5 years) in scope, design and the business model.

However the space available to "fit" the course has meant there are compromises (in my eyes) where you have a number of holes running parallel to each other - a pet hate of mine.

They have been showing prospective members around for 8-9 weeks now and in total 90 have visited the facility but only 14 have signed up as yet....we both felt that was a poor result and possibly an indication of the stiff competition they have and it's made worse by the very "top end" pricing for joining.

Would be interesting to hear other views especially from people who have also visited.

Thanks,
Gareth

David_Tepper

Re: The Centurion Club - Hertfordshire UK
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
Looks like the GCA is Simon Gidman.

http://www.gidmangolf.co.uk/

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
Good luck with the move Gareth.

I don't think GCA has any members from North of London.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Culley

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:58:14 PM »
Gareth, good luck with your move. I'm a Buckinghamshire native and so if you are ever looking for a game, let me know.
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
I stand corrected.  Excuse me Tom for not paying more attention.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
The course looks quite interesting on the website. Unusually for a modern course it is an out and back not two loops of nine like most modern courses. I wonder if this is because Simon Gidman thought it gave the best layout?

Jon

Martin Toal

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
Looks interesting, and nice layout from the limited number of featured holes. Not sure about the nomenclature for the memberships categories though - Senate, Centurion?

Is the captain known as Caesar?

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »

Looks interesting, and nice layout from the limited number of featured holes. Not sure about the nomenclature for the memberships categories though - Senate, Centurion?

Maybe weekday only members are Eunuchs.

This thread has possibilities.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 05:21:33 AM »

Very good Martin..... :)  Hope you are well?

The use of the Roman names is a sop to the origins of nearby St. Albans

Gareth Williams

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
Good luck with the move Gareth.

I don't think GCA has any members from North of London.

Thank you Tony, hope you're keeping well?

Gareth Williams

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 05:25:37 AM »
Gareth, good luck with your move. I'm a Buckinghamshire native and so if you are ever looking for a game, let me know.

Very kind Tom, where do you play your golf?

In Surrey (Chobham) we are somewhat spoilt for great courses in the nearby vicinity but Herts/Bucks (I hail from both areas in the past) is less well blessed.

Gareth Williams

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 05:42:28 AM »
The course looks quite interesting on the website. Unusually for a modern course it is an out and back not two loops of nine like most modern courses. I wonder if this is because Simon Gidman thought it gave the best layout?

Jon

Could be Jon. But I think it was mainly influenced by the land available initially and the timing that further tranches were bought giving more options.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: The Centurion Club - Hertfordshire UK New
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 09:48:37 AM »
Some of the photos from the club website look quite interesting. Not too much water and some more open holes without the pines. Hard to judge so much from watching on YouTube.

I had not heard of the architect; worked for Hawtree and designed Galgorm Castle where they played the Irish Open.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 09:51:39 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back