GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Longleaf Tee System

(1/38) > >>

Cliff Hamm:
On the Rank the Pines thread there is mention of Longleaf.  Not having been familiar with it went to their website.  Found the "Longleaf Tee System".  In essence playing tees that fit your length. 

Have seen similar articles before but not in such detail.  Also, have never seen a course advocate so strongly and adopt such a system for their tee placement.  Good luck convincing the male macho golfer to play the appropriate tee but the idea deserves merit and wider adoption.  Thoughts?

http://www.longleafteesystem.com/#our-purpose

Craig Sweet:
If you are a fairway mower they are a pain in the ass.  Many times I have seen a set of tees on a flat spot in the fairway. Typically, they are used by small kids that couldn't reach the fairway from the regular set of tees.  On and off the mower to move the markers and then to place then back again....

Andrew Bernstein:
Longleaf is owned by US Kids and caters primarily to children and family golfers. This kind of tee system, while I believe it makes sense for all golfers, is even more applicable to this group. I would guess that more players under the age of 18 play Longleaf than any other course in America.

Niall C:
So beginners and weaker golfers should play from shorter tees ? Why not simply design the hole in such a way that it is interesting for both the tiger and the rabbit playing off the same tee. That's what the golden age architects were really about, not frilly edged bunkers and the like.

It does occur to me that if it wasn't for the preponderance of courses with golf carts we wouldn't be having this discussion. After all, who wants to walk 100 to 150 yards down a hole to get to their tee when they could be playing golf ? Come back Melvyn, all is forgiven.

Niall

Erik J. Barzeski:

--- Quote from: Niall C on June 06, 2022, 09:51:17 AM ---So beginners and weaker golfers should play from shorter tees ? Why not simply design the hole in such a way that it is interesting for both the tiger and the rabbit playing off the same tee. That's what the golden age architects were really about, not frilly edged bunkers and the like.

--- End quote ---
???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version