News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Caccamise

Re: Complete list of template golf courses in North America
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2022, 05:28:20 PM »
Replica courses are different from templates, I would list them separately.
Replicas are trying to replicate on a different piece of ground - usually far from great.
Templates use a familiar format to fit on a unique piece of ground - better results depending on the designer.

The new Lido would be a replica of a template.

Noted and agreed. This is a great way to differentiate and probably the answer to our previous posts on replicas.

I'll categorize as such.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2022, 05:32:08 PM »

The new Lido would be a replica of a template.

I guess.  One of the odd parts of it is that, since we are using the plasticine model made for the course as a reference, we're kind of using the same source material that the original contractor(s) did.

That's so incredible combined with Peter's work. As I said above, I'm so excited to see it.

Brad Steven

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2022, 11:22:02 AM »
Sleepy Hollow in WestchesterNY.  Whippoorwill (Banks/Ross) has some very cool template holes.  beautiful Biarritz amongst others. 

Connor Lewis

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2022, 07:48:05 AM »
Two you “could” add:

Lake Wales CC- designed by Seth Raynor (died during construction) this public course used to have MacRaynor’s Ideal Holes, but today they have disappeared. That being said, all but one hole sit in the same location so a restoration is possible.

Augusta National- While not a MacRaynor the majority of holes are in fact “ideal” holes and many of them were similar to that of MacRaynor’s. Most do not play like their historical inspirations, but the thought process and play existed in the beginning.

Just a thought. Maybe add them with a * :)

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2022, 04:08:25 PM »
Two you “could” add:

Lake Wales CC- designed by Seth Raynor (died during construction) this public course used to have MacRaynor’s Ideal Holes, but today they have disappeared. That being said, all but one hole sit in the same location so a restoration is possible.

Augusta National- While not a MacRaynor the majority of holes are in fact “ideal” holes and many of them were similar to that of MacRaynor’s. Most do not play like their historical inspirations, but the thought process and play existed in the beginning.

Just a thought. Maybe add them with a * :)

Very interesting recommendations and I think part of my exercise here is to see how much influence "ideal" or "template" holes have had on traditional "non-template" golf courses. My opinion is so many courses have been influenced by these designs, even if they are not intended to be... because they're great golf holes that are incredibly fun to play.

Great example would be #4 at my current home course, Arroyo Trabuco in Mission Viejo, CA, designed by Tom Lehman. It's not labeled as a Redan, but it's a Redan (albeit with a design-flawed left third of the green that doesn't complete the funnel properly.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back