News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Sturges

7 exceptional acres of architecture
« on: May 24, 2022, 04:07:42 PM »
First, I must admit I am not certain the property I write about below is 7 acres.  I grew up on a 6 acre tract of land, and the property described below seems just a little bigger, hence the title of my post.

I was fortunate enough to be hosted at Garden City Golf Club last August.  The course had been on my "wish list" for quite some time.  I had high expectations going into my visit, and they were exceeded.

The 7'ish acres I describe is the property near the clubhouse, upon which holes 1, 2 and 18 are expertly laid upon the land.  All 3 holes are within view of the stately clubhouse, and the ever inviting back patio.  I don't know the history of this club other than I know that the original course was designed by Devereux Emmet, and the course was later updated by Walter Travis, who was an early member at Garden City.  I'd be curious if holes 1, 2, and 18 are attributed to Emmet or Travis.  But...my God...who could imagine 3 better golf holes on 7 acres of land!  If there is a finer example of designing 3(!) outstanding golf holes on a similar small parcel of ground, I'd love to hear nominations from others here.  A sporty 290 yard par 4 opener, followed by the terrifying short one-shot second, and the uber-fun closing hole, played toward the back patio of the clubhouse (usually occupied by spectators).  7 small acres...3 fantastic golf holes. 

TS
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 11:39:53 AM by Ted Sturges »

John Kavanaugh

Re: 7 exceptional acres of architecture
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 09:48:29 AM »
Thanks. I miss such stuff.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 12:02:58 PM »
The description reminds me of The Minikahda Club in Minneapolis which has the start/finish right by the clubhouse. Such a great start/finish but a little intimidating with so much going on.

Looks like a little over 8 acres for 1, 18 and the putting green hard against the first tee.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Minikahda+Club/@44.9427908,-93.3225642,345m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x3a766bd239c9eec3!8m2!3d44.9432359!4d-93.3213233
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 12:13:25 PM »
If you just include the parts of the land they actually used (water excluded), the area for 15-17 at CPC occupies about 7.5 acres.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 03:06:07 PM »
Kalen,

How many acres for 7-9 at CPC?

Thanks.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 03:17:51 PM »
Kalen,

How many acres for 7-9 at CPC?

Thanks.

Using the same method as before (tee box area, fairways and rough, bunkers, and greens.) The fairways on 8 and 9 are quite small overall compared to the other holes.

They only used about 4 acres of land total.  For comparison purposes the 1st hole uses about same..
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 03:19:49 PM by Kalen Braley »

Mike Wagner

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 06:01:42 PM »
First, I must admit I am not certain the property I write about below is 7 acres.  I grew up on a 6 acre tract of land, and the property described below seems just a little bigger, hence the title of my post.

I was fortunate enough to be hosted at Garden City Golf Club last August.  The course had been on my "wish list" for quite some time.  I had high expectations going into my visit, and they were exceeded.

The 7'ish acres I describe is the property near the clubhouse, upon which holes 1, 2 and 18 are expertly laid upon the land.  All 3 holes are within view of the stately clubhouse, and the ever inviting back patio.  I don't know the history of this club other than I know that the original course was designed by Devereux Emmet, and the course was later updated by Walter Travis, who was an early member at Garden City.  I'd be curious if holes 1, 2, and 18 are attributed to Emmet or Travis.  But...my God...who could imagine 3 better golf holes on 7 acres of land!  If there is a finer example of designing 3(!) outstanding golf holes on a similar small parcel of ground, I'd love to hear nominations from others here.  A sporty 290 yard par 4 opener, followed by the terrifying short one-shot second, and the uber-fun closing hole, played toward the back patio of the clubhouse (usually occupied by spectators).  7 small acres...3 fantastic golf holes. 

TS

Very special place and those 3 holes are just awesome.  Kalen, the ocean counts .. try again.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 08:00:28 PM »

TS

Very special place and those 3 holes are just awesome.  Kalen, the ocean counts .. try again.

Lol, not that this is a contest...but if the ocean counts on CPC, then the pond and surrounds counts at Garden City, which puts it at just under 11 acres!   ;D   And that doesn't even consider slicing one on the range.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 08:08:25 PM by Kalen Braley »

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 11:55:17 PM »
How big is the 1-18 rectangle at St. Andrews?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 10:30:10 AM »
How big is the 1-18 rectangle at St. Andrews?

Mike,

I've got it at about 9.5 acres...

Zack Molnar

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2022, 05:37:33 PM »
This is such a refreshingly different perspective from an experience I had a course in the far western suburbs of Chicago a couple weeks ago, where the member was emphasizing that a single hole occupied upwards of 15 acres, most of which was thick rough and bunkers. I haven't had the pleasure of playing the men's club, but I was just looking at aerials and it looks like a wonderful golf playground around the clubhouse to try different shots and approaches.

One area that came to mind for me was the area containing the first, 4th, and start of the 5th holes at wolf point. So many different shots to play around with, covering a little more than 8 acres.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2022, 07:02:59 AM »
This is such a refreshingly different perspective from an experience I had a course in the far western suburbs of Chicago a couple weeks ago, where the member was emphasizing that a single hole occupied upwards of 15 acres, most of which was thick rough and bunkers. I haven't had the pleasure of playing the men's club, but I was just looking at aerials and it looks like a wonderful golf playground around the clubhouse to try different shots and approaches.

One area that came to mind for me was the area containing the first, 4th, and start of the 5th holes at wolf point. So many different shots to play around with, covering a little more than 8 acres.

Great post

What always amazes me is, the more money spent to build the golf, the more separated from others the playground becomes. Even if there is width,it's often simply containment width with minimal thought or strategy, surrounded by shite where a decent shot is all that's required, and a less than decent shot is lost and a great shot has gained little on the mediocre and has challenged nothing.
Safety concerns aside,it always seemed to me it's be far more fun to create a course with more intimacy,yet often roomy, where strategies are suggested and create the lowest scores, but foul balls are playable and alternate routes available.
In short staying ON the course is easy, but taking the optimal scoring lines is difficult.
The Old Course being the prime example, but most who join the modern monstocities don't understand anything about the Old Course, other than they've been told to like it, or at least pretend to for a day.

For this reason, one of my all time favorite memories(a fading one and alas they have done a renovation involving the common land so it may not be the same) in golf occurred at Gweedore, where roughly the 4th through the 6th (or 7th?)holes simply were played in one livestock height of cut field with wild undualtion and lay of the land greens preferring certain angles. along with wind made for some very interesting and memorable golf, without all of the traditional nonsense that restrains creativity, freedom and free flowing swings.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 08:21:49 AM »
It certainly occupies more than 7 acres, but the 1-3, 15-18 loop at North Berwick packs a lot of great golf in a compact space.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2022, 09:50:28 AM »
For this reason, one of my all time favorite memories(a fading one and alas they have done a renovation involving the common land so it may not be the same) in golf occurred at Gweedore, where roughly the 4th through the 6th (or 7th?)holes simply were played in one livestock height of cut field with wild undualtion and lay of the land greens preferring certain angles. along with wind made for some very interesting and memorable golf, without all of the traditional nonsense that restrains creativity, freedom and free flowing swings.
Sounds akin to Minchinhampton Old transported to the seaside. Or Westward Ho but in Donegal. Or Mulranny but a bit further north. Or Askernish too. Wonderful (and inexpensive).
Atb

Steve Salmen

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2022, 10:51:48 AM »
12 13 and 14 at Shoreacres do not use much land and are holes that are fun to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back