News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

Whiny Pros or Fair Critcisms
« on: May 22, 2022, 04:26:39 PM »
Folllowing his round at the PGA Champtionship Friday, PGA Tour professional, Tyrell Hatton, had the following to say about Southern Hills setup:

"I mean, we're playing a major championship, not a monthly medal," said Tyrrell Hatton, who shot 2-under 68 to sit seven off the lead. "You know, they're [bouncing] all over the place. It's so hard to hole putts. So you can hit a great putt and they just don't look like going in, which is hard to accept when we're playing in a major championship."

Then, following his round of 78 yesterday, Patton Kizzire posted this gem on his Instagram account.
"Pitiful golf on a pitiful setup on an overrated golf course.”

Is this much ado about nothing from tour pros upset with their play or are some of the course and setup criticisms valid? I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the golf the past three days and love the way Southern Hills has presented itself on television. However, I realize it's not nearly the same as playing it or having been on the ground to see it this week. Would love to hear others thoughts on what they've seen and liked about course and things they would have preferred done differently.

Personally speaking, I don't care for three of the four par 3's being similar length and would have liked to have seen more variety in setup and length, but I'm sure those holes play different for member play.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:35:46 PM by Mike Bodo »
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Bill Brightly

Re: Whiny Pros or Fair Critcisms
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 04:34:35 PM »
Whiny pros. And I LOVE it when pros whine!!!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2022, 04:35:45 PM »
Hatton whines about _everything_.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mike Bodo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2022, 04:36:26 PM »
Hatton whines about _everything_.
LOL! This is true.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 04:50:04 PM »
Compared to other professional tournaments, the greens are bumpier than usual.  I've noticed a number of long putts that came up several feet short after the ball chattered in the first few feet.

My answer to the opening post's question is c) both.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 06:03:31 PM »

My answer to the opening post's question is c) both.

spot on

The commentors turn to whingers when one of them is Hatton
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 06:07:47 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »
I cheered for Hubert Green in 1977 at Southern Hills because he worked for Bill Kittleman at Merion. Southern Hills has always held a special spot for me. Green won in an era where stuff like this was VERY new to golf. Sure, there were the Munich Olympics, but this was golf in Oklahoma:

"He (Green) was given three choices: stop play, clear the course, and continue without a gallery; finish the round Monday, or carry on and run the risk that the threat was real. “I said, ‘I can’t be any more nervous than I am now,’” Green said. “Let’s get it over with.”
[/size][/color]
https://progolfnow.com/2022/05/19/southern-hills-major-pressure/

I am thinking that "whiny" is a nice description!!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 10:35:15 PM »
I'd say they don't have the right perspective.  From TV, my vantage point, it's hard to tell what a course is "really" like.  But golf courses come in all shapes and sizes.  Southern Hills has a tradition.  The course seemed to be in good shape and the greens clearly good enough (I wondered how long members had been kept off the greens before the tournament).  Golf is played in nature.  We're not talking bowling alleys or billiard tables.  Everyone is playing the same course.  Maybe when these guys get a little older and wiser they'll come to appreciate the variation in courses.  Deal with it, guys.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 11:32:44 PM »
If they're not shooting 20 under its a terrible course.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:36:04 PM by Jeff Evagues »
Be the ball

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 12:00:55 AM »
I was at the course today and thought the set up and the course are both very good and interesting. And very spectator friendly. Stadium golf without trying to be. Very few made putts. I wonder if playing slower greens is the reason. Maybe bumps are more evident if you don’t have “holing” speed?

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 04:02:52 AM »
This is the same Tyrrell Hatton who in an earlier round deliberately damaged the green during a fit of anger over a missed putt. Pleased to say he was call out by the Sky commentators for his actions. As Adam says, he whines about everything and about time an interviewer stood up to him and questioned his own actions.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2022, 04:29:10 AM »
Angry Golfer therapy - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDrIsiqZaA - :)
Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2022, 05:30:37 AM »
I did get a hook for an article in the last GCA out of Hatton whingeing about the eighteenth hole at Yas Links, so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much. But really. In the last few months, he's whinged about Yas, Southern Hills and Augusta to name but three. He is a Big Girl's Blouse.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 05:37:03 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

JMEvensky

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2022, 05:51:27 AM »

He is a Big Girl's Blouse.

Could someone please translate to American--sounds like a description I want to use.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2022, 06:26:44 AM »

Could someone please translate to American--sounds like a description I want to use.

https://wordhistories.net/2018/10/20/big-girls-blouse/
Adam Lawrence

JMEvensky

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 06:33:09 AM »
Thanks.

Ben Attwood

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 06:44:53 AM »

An interesting article. However, it's a phrase that should be consigned to history given that it's sexist and has mysogyistic undertones.

The new term should be 'Tour pros ill fitting t-shirt'. Not sure it'll catch on.

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 12:45:34 PM »
 8)

WAHHHHH ?

Mark Smolens

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 01:06:40 PM »

An interesting article. However, it's a phrase that should be consigned to history given that it's sexist and has mysogyistic undertones.

The new term should be 'Tour pros ill fitting t-shirt'. Not sure it'll catch on.

Ahh, yes, the PC police strike again, tho in the interests of accuracy, shouldn't it read "mysogynistic?".

My Wildcat softball team wears t-shirts with the slogan "You Wish You Could Throw Like a Girl." Strong athletic women who don't give a rat's ass about male stereotypes about their game (of which they have a great deal!). Go U NU!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2022, 01:27:35 PM »
In the interests of accuracy the word is ‘misogynstic’
Adam Lawrence

Ben Stephens

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2022, 02:26:14 PM »
Hatton is the Mad Hatter of golf. I wonder what kind of golf course he would design  ;D  his language at times is rather colourful and not a great role model for young golfers 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2022, 03:05:09 PM »
Read a quote the other day from Scott Hoch where he said:

"Back in my day no one whined and complained about courses.... we just showed up, kept our head down, and played golf"

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2022, 03:12:16 PM »
Kalen -

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Scott Hoch was never shy about complaining.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12127055.outspoken-hoch-under-fire/

DT

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2022, 05:27:28 PM »
I thought Southern Hills looked like a bizarre mash-up example of what a GCA gives a client in a PPT presentation...;-) It looked fake.

Each hole looked photo-shopped into a dust-bowl interpretation of an ANGC copy-cat course except without the white, white sand and laser cut bunker brows.... ;D

Back to topic: I have never heard anyone whine when they are in contention for anything.

David Kelly

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2022, 07:15:41 PM »
I thought Southern Hills looked like a bizarre mash-up example of what a GCA gives a client in a PPT presentation...;-) It looked fake.

Each hole looked photo-shopped into a dust-bowl interpretation of an ANGC copy-cat course except without the white, white sand and laser cut bunker brows.... ;D

Back to topic: I have never heard anyone whine when they are in contention for anything.
This topic is about whiny pros.  Whiny observers should get their own thread.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back