News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

... than Perry Maxwell?

And does he get a pass for the unrelenting difficulty of his courses that we don't give to other architects? If so, why?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Phil Burr

It's a great question.  The last remaining factor that defines difficulty for elite players is wind.  Without it they can reduce 7800-yard courses to pitch-&-putts.  Wind was very much in play at Southern Hills for all four rounds.  It's the reason the Old Course can be plundered with -20 in windless conditions and level par is great at Carnoustie when it blows.  Perry Maxwell designed most of his courses in the midwest, where wind is a constant factor (I'm a member at Davenport CC so I know). The crucible in which to test Maxwell's work outside the prairie would obviously be Old Town Club.  I haven't played it (although I'd love to).  How does a Maxwell design stand up in a warm-weather, relatively windless environment?

David Kelly

How does a Maxwell design stand up in a warm-weather, relatively windless environment?
Augusta National stands up pretty well every year.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Sean_A

It's a great question.  The last remaining factor that defines difficulty for elite players is wind.  Without it they can reduce 7800-yard courses to pitch-&-putts.  Wind was very much in play at Southern Hills for all four rounds.  It's the reason the Old Course can be plundered with -20 in windless conditions and level par is great at Carnoustie when it blows.  Perry Maxwell designed most of his courses in the midwest, where wind is a constant factor (I'm a member at Davenport CC so I know). The crucible in which to test Maxwell's work outside the prairie would obviously be Old Town Club.  I haven't played it (although I'd love to).  How does a Maxwell design stand up in a warm-weather, relatively windless environment?

Which other Maxwell courses are designed to test the best players?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Kyle Harris

How does a Maxwell design stand up in a warm-weather, relatively windless environment?
Augusta National stands up pretty well every year.

Old Town
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Bill Gayne

Tillinghast built some major championship brutes.

Jason Thurman

Which other Maxwell courses are designed to test the best players?

Ciao

Prairie Dunes is in the discussion for hardest course I've ever played yard-for-yard. Steve Salmen and I are both former Wolf Run members and we both agreed on that point after a round at the Mashie a couple years ago.

I actually first considered the superlative I tentatively assign to Perry in the OP while at Old Town Club a month ago. It's not an excessively difficult course necessarily, but it can be extremely stern in punishing nearly-good shots. Lots of places where a ball can get within a few feet of the middle of the fairway or pin, but wind up 20-60 yards away by the time it's done rolling.

Augusta and Southern Hills require no further comment. And Crystal Downs may be shortish for the elite player by modern standards, but yard-for-yard, it's not a slouch at all.

That covers the courses in his catalog I'm most familiar with, but I don't see many limp-wristed handshakes in Perry's portfolio. Tillinghast might be another real contender here, to Bill's point.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back