News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Cronan

OT…..ESPN: A Bold Telecast
« on: May 21, 2022, 12:26:17 PM »
ESPN, often criticized and ridiculed for its coverage of professional golf, deserves props for today’s coverage. Thus far, we’ve been treated to viewing every shot of Shaun Norris, as well as some guy who has played 10 holes in +7.

This strategy in coverage has me excited to see how they cover NASCAR, when, say, Jimmy Johnson wrecks his car on lap 34 of Daytona, and we get to see him drink coffee and take a leak in the pits.

Or during the NFL playoffs, we get to see how the Detroit Lions spend their Sundays during late December and all of January.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 12:34:23 PM by David Cronan »

David Cronan

Re: OT…..ESPN: A Bold Telecast
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 01:12:33 PM »
I don’t mean to spoil things,but the unnamed, aforementioned player is now only 22 strokes off the lead!!

It’s getting tense!!!!

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 01:34:30 PM »
You may perhaps be watching the coverage of the featured group...Woods and Norris?!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 01:37:41 PM »
I don’t mean to spoil things,but the unnamed, aforementioned player is now only 22 strokes off the lead!!

It’s getting tense!!!!

Yea,

I'm not sure what's he trying to accomplish grinding to make cuts and then shooting +20 on the weekend cause he can barely walk...

Feels a bit like when Jordan came back to play for the Wizards...

David Cronan

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 01:41:10 PM »
You may perhaps be watching the coverage of the featured group...Woods and Norris?!

No, it was ESPN. Stunning, edge of the seat viewing.

David Cronan

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 01:51:11 PM »

It’s getting tense!!!!

I have zero problem with him playing. I just think it’s cutting-edge of ESPN to telecast every shot of his. I mean, if he can clean up his drives a little and his putter gets hot tomorrow,he could fire a 45 and be right back in this tournament.

Yea,

I'm not sure what's he trying to accomplish grinding to make cuts and then shooting +20 on the weekend cause he can barely walk...

Feels a bit like when Jordan came back to play for the Wizards...

Peter Flory

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 02:34:10 PM »
I was laughing along until you mentioned the Lions.   >:(

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2022, 02:52:30 PM »

I enjoyed watching it. The greatest player of all time playing like a 15. He acted and ground it out like the greatest player of all time. Plenty of players would have quit after nine. He gutted it out. There is no quit in TW.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

David Cronan

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2022, 03:00:37 PM »

I enjoyed watching it. The greatest player of all time playing like a 15. He acted and ground it out like the greatest player of all time. Plenty of players would have quit after nine. He gutted it out. There is no quit in TW.

Interesting take.

Can you tell me, in your opinion, who are the “plenty of players (that) would have quit after nine”?

I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. Thanks.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2022, 03:38:38 PM »
 ::)

James Brown

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 03:44:23 PM »
I’m glad Tiger is playing.   Yep, Tiger is playing poorly on a miserably hard scoring day.  But he did beat the number #1 ranked golfer in the world this week and he is 2 for 2 in making the cut in the first two majors.  And his presence at tournaments helps the tournaments and their charities and boosts TV ratings for golf.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 07:22:24 PM by James Brown »

Rob Marshall

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2022, 05:51:19 PM »

Interesting take.

Can you tell me, in your opinion, who are the “plenty of players (that) would have quit after nine”?

I’ll hang up and listen to your answer. Thanks.

There aren’t many guys that would have even played with that leg let alone finished.

There is a long list of guys who have failed to finish a poor round……
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:57:12 PM by Rob Marshall »

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 06:27:40 PM »

I totally agree with the last 4 lines.
 ;D ;D
There is no (legit 15) in the world who could shoot 79 on that course, in those conditions.
Ever
or 89
and on a one round bet I'd say 99
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 07:45:43 PM »
The greatest of all grinding it out ? What the hell is Jack doing out there at his age ?

Niall

Rob Marshall

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 07:56:17 PM »

;D ;D
There is no (legit 15) in the world who could shoot 79 on that course, in those conditions.
Ever
or 89

Got me there.

Jeff do you know Cameron Young? Any insight ?

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2022, 08:08:48 PM »

;D ;D
Ever
or 89

Got me there.

Jeff do you know Cameron Young? Any insight ?

I know his dad-
Director of Golf at Sleepy Hollow
great guy, good player.

He originally was at Sleepy Hollow before me,then was in Long Island where we met at an event, then returned as Head Pro at Sleepy probably 20 years ago or so.
I don't know Cameron-no insights other than one of the few who begins the clubhead down about the same time as his lower body starts down-then kills it. Usually lower body begins multiple frames earlier.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rob Marshall

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 11:19:35 PM »
Interesting, I’ll watch for that tomorrow. That’s the knock on my swing but I don’t kill it >:(

John Blain

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 09:48:20 AM »
Interesting, I’ll watch for that tomorrow. That’s the knock on my swing but I don’t kill it >:(
Rob-
Cameron Young played in the NYS Am in 2015 @ Turning Stone. I remember him being a big strong kid with hockey legs who hit it a mile. I remember in the first two rounds he was paired with Gavin Hall and at the time Gavin was considered a better player but neither one played particularly well that week. Trevor Sluman won the tournament.
Hope things are well.
John

David Cronan

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 11:16:52 AM »
Rob-
Cameron Young played in the NYS Am in 2015 @ Turning Stone. I remember him being a big strong kid with hockey legs who hit it a mile. I remember in the first two rounds he was paired with Gavin Hall and at the time Gavin was considered a better player but neither one played particularly well that week. Trevor Sluman won the tournament.
Hope things are well.
John

So much talent and poise. Hopefully we’ll get the privilege of seeing some of him and others today.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 12:27:48 PM »
Rob-
Hope things are well.
John

Hi John,
They mentioned that Scotty Scheffler beat Gavin Hall by 2 to win the conference championship at Southern Hills when they were both at Texas. No sure things in Golf.Gavin looked like a can’t miss. Last I heard before Covid Trevor was playing in China.

David Cronan

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 12:50:18 PM »
Rob-
Hope things are well.
John

Hi John,
They mentioned that Scotty Scheffler beat Gavin Hall by 2 to win the conference championship at Southern Hills when they were both at Texas. No sure things in Golf.Gavin looked like a can’t miss. Last I heard before Covid Trevor was playing in China.

Touché.

Sam Randolph was a contemporary of mine. 

She’s a fickle game and the mind is a very powerful thing.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 02:43:13 PM »
Going back to Tiger,

I don't think anyone didn't want to see him play at Augusta, just to see if he could do it. But to my knowledge its a you either qualify or you don't situation, there is no waiting list, so he wasn't taking anyone's spot.

But given the PGA has alternates,  who knows if the next first time major player could have stepped up and done something like the current leader.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 03:40:59 PM »
I was actually thinking yesterday that with the current state of his game and state of this physical abilities, watching Tiger now play shows off the golf architecture more than in his prime.  Tiger has to take advantage of everything the course has to offer to assist him in getting a good score on each hole, more than he ever has before.

Watching him play on Friday afternoon may have been the most interesting strategy golf by Tiger since I watched him on TV win at Hoylake.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Rob Marshall

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 04:59:15 PM »
Going back to Tiger,

I don't think anyone didn't want to see him play at Augusta, just to see if he could do it. But to my knowledge its a you either qualify or you don't situation, there is no waiting list, so he wasn't taking anyone's spot.

But given the PGA has alternates,  who knows if the next first time major player could have stepped up and done something like the current leader.

If you make the cut, are you really taking someone’s spot? I also don’t think that Tiger plays in any event he doesn’t think he can win.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 06:01:25 PM »
Going back to Tiger,

Tiger wasn't "taking anyone's spot"
If he had withdrawn, someone would've taken HIS spot.
Who would the PGA of America and the fans rather see play?
He made the cut, shot 69 on a hard course.
he's earned the right to get in his "reps' in majors, to prepare himself for future majors.
Baby steps-literally.

You think an alternate steps in and makes the cut?
(actually pretty sure one just did ;))
Then there's John Daly, who DID win as an alternate.... ;) ;D
Speaking of which, why have you not shone the lens on his freak show. Taking a cart AND a spot(by your definition)
If the PGA had any balls, they would deny his cart.
Talk about self inflicted.

Daly hasn't made a PGA cut in 10 years, and Tiger just made the cut-this year remember? Beating world #1 and DJ amongst others.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 06:16:56 PM by jeffwarne »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back