News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: OT…..ESPN: A Bold Telecast
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
Going back to Tiger,

I don't think anyone didn't want to see him play at Augusta, just to see if he could do it. But to my knowledge its a you either qualify or you don't situation, there is no waiting list, so he wasn't taking anyone's spot.

But given the PGA has alternates,  who knows if the next first time major player could have stepped up and done something like the current leader.

Tiger wasn't "taking anyone's spot"
If he had withdrawn, someone would've taken HIS spot.
Who would the PGA of America and the fans rather see play?
He made the cut, shot 69 on a hard course.
he's earned the right to get in his "reps' in majors, to prepare himself for future majors.
Baby steps-literally.

You think an alternate steps in and makes the cut?
(actually pretty sure one just did ;) )
Then there's John Daly, who DID win as an alternate.... ;) ;D
Speaking of which, why have you not shone the lens on his freak show. Taking a cart AND a spot(by your definition)
If the PGA had any balls, they would deny his cart.
Talk about self inflicted.

Daly hasn't made a PGA cut in 10 years, and Tiger just made the cut-this year remember? Beating world #1 and DJ amongst others.

Jeff,

You nailed it.

JD has been a self-serving, attention getting, hooters hanging-out, freak show for over a decade now.  I expect that of him and best not to feed into his publicity grabs...I just didn't think Tiger was approaching that territory too.

If he wants or needs live tourney play to get in the swing of things, how about playing some of those 2nd tier events he's ignored most of his career to help drive ratings and ticket sales for them.

P.S.  After he proved he could do it again at ANGC, I figured TOC would be his next major, as he just may be able to competitively play 72 holes given its flat and relatively short.

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2022, 07:27:09 PM »
Going back to Tiger,

I don't think anyone didn't want to see him play at Augusta, just to see if he could do it. But to my knowledge its a you either qualify or you don't situation, there is no waiting list, so he wasn't taking anyone's spot.

But given the PGA has alternates,  who knows if the next first time major player could have stepped up and done something like the current leader.

Tiger wasn't "taking anyone's spot"
If he had withdrawn, someone would've taken HIS spot.
Who would the PGA of America and the fans rather see play?
He made the cut, shot 69 on a hard course.
he's earned the right to get in his "reps' in majors, to prepare himself for future majors.
Baby steps-literally.

You think an alternate steps in and makes the cut?
(actually pretty sure one just did ;) )
Then there's John Daly, who DID win as an alternate.... ;) ;D
Speaking of which, why have you not shone the lens on his freak show. Taking a cart AND a spot(by your definition)
If the PGA had any balls, they would deny his cart.
Talk about self inflicted.

Daly hasn't made a PGA cut in 10 years, and Tiger just made the cut-this year remember? Beating world #1 and DJ amongst others.

Jeff,

If he wants or needs live tourney play to get in the swing of things, how about playing some of those 2nd tier events he's ignored most of his career to help drive ratings and ticket sales for them.

P.S.  After he proved he could do it again at ANGC, I figured TOC would be his next major, as he just may be able to competitively play 72 holes given its flat and relatively short.

But you can't just rock up to TOC without "reps", to see how your nervous system will react.
and for Tiger, those reps need to get his adrenaline going.
But I would like to see him play a non major as well.
I agree that TOC is the realistic goal, but the two major outings were positive steps along the way IMHO.
The body is an amazing thing and I'm sure very week the healing continues.
Time will tell, but don't count out the GOAT or the steps he believes he needs to take to come back into major form.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Cronan

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
Woods definitely belonged at this Championship and proved so by making the cut.

Call me naïve, but having won 15 majors, not sure I’m in a position to offer him any advice other than retire the white belts and pleated jeans.

To my original point, ESPN’s strategy of showing every shot of the last-placed player could almost be tolerable if they hired Paul McGinley and Colin Montgomerie to call the action.

Almost.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2022, 07:41:12 AM »
To my original point, ESPN’s strategy of showing every shot of the last-placed player could almost be tolerable if they hired Paul McGinley and Colin Montgomerie to call the action.
I'm still pretty sure you were watching the Featured Groups coverage. ESPN had several channels, each showing different things, like we see at the Masters. Maybe regular coverage would show all of Tiger's shots, but they would cut away before showing all of Shaun Norris's shots.

Anyway, Tiger gets what he wants in golf, and deservedly so. "Taking a spot" is ludicrous. I'd sooner vote to get rid of the 20 PGA pros (and I wouldn't) than to say "Tiger, you're out."
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back