News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lovett

Chambers Bay - transition from fescue greens
« on: May 16, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »
It's been a couple of years now that Chambers Bay has transitioned their greens from fescue. I haven't heard much about how it's gone - are there any recent updates about the current conditions and whether the current greens represent a big improvement?

Cal Carlisle

Re: Chambers Bay - transition from fescue greens
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 09:39:41 AM »
I was there about two months ago and I thought the greens were great. Having never played there when they had the fescue greens, I'm afraid I can't offer anything in terms of a comparison. I thought it was a very fun round of golf.

DFarron

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 11:18:49 AM »
Was there a month ago, greens were smooth but painstakingly slow…..was kind of disappointed

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 07:03:10 AM »
In 2013 I played Chambers Bay in early June. I remember the Fescue greens being really swift, which surprised me.
My first putt trickled off the green.
I was surprised because the Fescue greens I was familiar are not usually cut lower than 5mm because Fescue suffers with lower cuts.
Chambers Bay looked like the HOC was 3mm!!
Maybe that's one of the reasons they lost their Fescue greens.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
Also interested to hear about if they have adjusted their watering schedule of greens after the transition. As well as what John just mentioned what height are they cutting them now?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 11:29:15 AM »
 8)  When we played CB back in '10, the greens were nothing to write home about so I hope their transition has worked out.  While CB certainly looked linksy, it really didn't seem to play that way, and I remember being disappointed in that but fully enjoyed CB except perhaps for that hike up the hill at 12 (perhaps it was because of where I found my ball on the hill)...

I would return if in the area again, should be interesting to see how the Am Ladies do this summer on the new surfaces.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back