News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Sekulic

Manasquan River Golf Club
« on: May 16, 2022, 03:01:40 PM »
I am going to be in NJ early next week and I am going to be playing Manasquan River on Tuesday.

I have heard mixed reviews of the course, some people absolutely love it and others think it is so/so.

Would love to hear the thoughts and opinions of those who have played it.

Thanks

Steve Lapper

Re: Manasquan River Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 03:21:40 PM »
I am going to be in NJ early next week and I am going to be playing Manasquan River on Tuesday.

I have heard mixed reviews of the course, some people absolutely love it and others think it is so/so.

Would love to hear the thoughts and opinions of those who have played it.

Thanks

It's charming and fun, set aside the tidal river inlet and up the smallish hills above its flats. The last few years have seen the club make some positive changes to a number of greens (expansions), bunkers (reconstructed with better drainage) and rebuilt tees. I believe the currently-in-demand Andrew Green did the work and did a great job of refreshing the property.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 03:44:22 PM »
MCirba spoke very highly of MRGC on a very lengthy thread from 2019, rated it a Doak 8:

"Easily the most unexpected "hidden gem" course I played in 2019, Manasquan River is superb.   

The front nine is draped across a gorgeous stretch of hilly terrain that is exceptionally unusual for southern New Jersey, and features one delightful hole after another.   After a clever dogleg "gentle handshake" of the first hole, the course turns up the volume to 11 with the amazing 2nd hole, a stunning par four with a green set high above the surrounding terrain.   And so it goes throughout the round.   Each time we thought it couldn't get any better we'd discover the next hole was just as good.   I kept looking at my playing partner wondering if he was equally impressed and discovered he was pinching himself in amazement, as well.   

The back nine moves onto flatter land after the 11th but closer to the water and open to the elements.   The course is less than a mile from the Atlantic Ocean and as you progress through your round the smell of salt is in the air.   A clever stretch of holes somewhat reminiscent of the peninsula holes at Inwood ensues and reaches a crescendo with the lovely par three 15th with its low-profile green tilted precariously towards the water and the wild 16th, where an excellent drive is required to have a realistic approach to a green set out on a lonely point at the water's edge.   After turning inland on the long par four 17th, the course features a short (333 yards) par four 18th finishing in front of the clubhouse, similar to some other great courses where the final hole is eminently birdie-able.   

The greens throughout are thoughtfully varied and consistently interesting.  Andrew Green recently completed a restoration to this Robert White classic and I have no idea if it's always been this good.  Certainly it has escaped notice of those compiling "best of state" lists, but I can think of few more compelling and enjoyable places to play in the mid-Atlantic region."   

« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:57:40 PM by MCirba »

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67809.125.html

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 03:47:07 PM by David_Tepper »

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 04:20:34 PM »
Thanks, David!

Please let us know your impressions after your round, Frank.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 04:58:25 PM »
It seems that every project Andrew Green is attached to turns out a winner. The diversity of the land really delivers a compelling set of holes.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 06:07:22 PM »
Frank, MRGC has always been a very good golf course.

Mike is right in citing the second as a beauty. The contours and elevation are such that it was known as "Suicide Hill" to us wintertime sledders.

I've always thought the second nine paled in comparison to the front though 15 has always been among the best holes on the property. Easily, the greatest improvement has been 16. The green used to be shoehorned close to the ladies/senior tees of the 15th abutting a marshy area-far shorter than the current green.
Friends have mentioned the club is looking into a short course/practice area along the river. Would be cool if you could find any info about that.
P.S. If you're there in the morning, check out Mariner's Cove for breakfast. It's just at the end of Riverview Dr. A staple for forty+ years.

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 03:21:10 PM »
Thanks for all the insight, I am really looking forward to seeing it in person.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 05:49:17 PM »
Thanks for all the insight, I am really looking forward to seeing it in person.

Frank-Go low and enjoy!!!

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 02:53:24 PM »
Frank, if you played, any thoughts?
Thanks.

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 05:16:12 PM »
Frank, if you played, any thoughts?
Thanks.

Pete,

I ended up not playing Manasquan as there was a scheduling conflict with my host. I did however play Plainfield, which as we all know is a truly great course and one I could play every day of the week and never get bored

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back