News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

400 Yard drives - firm fairways
« on: May 20, 2022, 03:16:29 PM »
Rory averaged 373.6 yards off the tee on day one.  Thomas hit one 400 yards today.  Much of the cause is wind and firm fairways.  Carry distances do not seem much different from what happens at a normal tour event.

The course appears to providing plenty of challenge to the players despite the length players are hitting it.

I assume a ball rollback is unlikely to ever happen and do not really want a rehash of that issue.  I think I have heard every argument that could ever be made on the issue 25 times.

If you set that issue aside, I prefer this type of setup to what you see at the Masters with the greens mowed from green to tee in order to limit drive distance.  This setup requires the players to have more control over their ball off the tee and they get rewarded when they have it.

Rob Marshall

Re: 400 Yard drives - firm fairways
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 03:40:31 PM »
Yesterday Rahm hit one 401 in the fairway on the first par 5 and made 6. In my game he wouldn’t have made it to the next tee without someone saying “nice drive”
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 04:24:56 PM »
Seems from afar and from TV that the fairways are pretty wide by modern standards and that the bunkers are inside the fairway area rather than in the rough. Is this correct? If so all rather refreshing.
Atb

Mark Smolens

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 11:49:02 AM »
Yesterday Rahm hit one 401 in the fairway on the first par 5 and made 6. In my game he wouldn’t have made it to the next tee without someone saying “nice drive”
+1  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back