News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

TPC Craig Ranch (McKinney, TX)
« on: May 14, 2022, 08:21:33 PM »
This course is hosting the Byron Nelson this week.  I don't recall seeing the course before on TV. Has it hosted this event or any other PGA Tour event before? Any comments on the course?

https://www.clubcorp.com/clubs/tpc-craig-ranch/golf

Jim Hoak

Re: TPC Craig Ranch (McKinney, TX)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 08:31:49 PM »
It hosted the Nelson last year, after it moved from Trinity Forest, due mainly to the difficulty in getting crowds to Trinity Forest.  Trinity Forest is in a difficult area of town, and required spectators to park at the Fairgrounds and be bused to the course.  The Trans-Miss amateur event happens to be at Trinity Forest this coming week.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 08:49:07 AM »
A chance at a nearly 30 under winner at a TPC?  Quite a contrast to last week at Potomac (granted the weather was awful.)  Did I read correctly that the combined field score after the cut was about 1000 strokes easier this week compared to last?  That's a hell of a difference.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 10:42:33 AM »
My take is, a failed attempt at out of the box marketing! So many years at Las Colinas, excellent logistics but not a top 50 Texas golfing experience. Trinity Forest, a great golf course but poor logistics. Craig Ranch, a flat course, relatively flat greens, hardly any penalty for miss hit shots and a course set up to produce birdies. Drivable par 4´s, par fives under 500 yards and par 3´s requiring a wedge. This week could produce the least amount of bogies in a PGA tournament. It seems like they also are trying to follow and incorporate some concepts from the phoenix open. Anything to get attention. Hopefully the salesman’s club can find a permanent home in the near future that challenges players and has all the necessary logistic to attract the crowds they are seeking.

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 11:41:48 PM »
Like it or not, this location is a better fit for the Nelson than any of the courses most of us would rather play. The Nelson is about socializing and fund raising and also golf. All three elements are important to its continued success. And for people from here it is just below the majors as an important event. And there are a lot of golf people from here. ( Although too much zosia (sp) will be the end of good Texas short games).

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 11:59:20 PM »
If there is a more bland looking course on the PGA Tour, I don't know which one it would be...

A quick look at this years schedule reveals 3 or 4 other candidates for this distinction....also all TPCs.  Coincidence?

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 10:56:29 PM »
And we have talked about courses not finishing at the clubhouse; this one looks like it starts half a mile away. Seems like that would encourage riding.

Kalen Braley

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 11:34:21 PM »
Not sure but I thought it was across the street by the practice range. I know the creek is down the right side.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back