News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: OT most comfortable walking golf shoe
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2022, 09:47:27 PM »
Maybe this deserves its own thread, but why are golf shoes in general so completely FUGLY these days?
I mean there isn't a good looking golf shoe on the market. Period.
Foot Joy Superlites for me, old school brown saddle. Of course they don't make them anymore <old man yells at cloud>.
:) I'm with you, Tom. It goes hand in hand with stylishly draping linens, cottons, and wools being replaced by these god-awful NASA-infused microfibers with space age moisture wicking agents (that we'll no doubt soon discover cause cancer in lab rats) in this new slim-cut style perfect only for 12 year old boys and men shaped like Justin Thomas, all in the name of today's golfers somehow being "athletes". To the clouds this old man yells "Ben Hogan was a GOLFER!"

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:06:54 PM by PPallotta »

David Kelly

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2022, 10:14:55 PM »
To the clouds this old man yells "Ben Hogan was a GOLFER!"
Hogan gave the only fashion advice needed for a golfer - wear a light shirt with dark pants or a dark shirt with light pants.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2022, 10:31:12 PM »
To the clouds this old man yells "Ben Hogan was a GOLFER!"
Hogan gave the only fashion advice needed for a golfer - wear a light shirt with dark pants or a dark shirt with light pants.
To which I would only add: 'but favour the former, with 'dark' being grey and 'light' being white.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 10:56:57 PM by PPallotta »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2022, 07:21:40 AM »
I wore a Hogan style cap not too long ago. I did not play any better, but it did make me feel good.

As to the OP, my only problem with Eccos is that it is too easy to succumb to buying yet another pair when I see them on sale. One only really needs so many pairs of shoes.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »
I’ve been wearing On Clouds to walk and carry.  Will never go back to golf shoes. 

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2022, 10:04:11 AM »
PC Craig,

What exact questions do you have about the True Lux? I have had them about a month with only 2 rounds walked so far.

Justin

Are they comfortable on long walks? Do they wear out prematurely?
H.P.S.

Tom Allen

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2022, 10:13:29 AM »
After trying out many brands and styles over the years, for my feet, Trues and Ecco BIOMs fit the best and were most comfortable after long walks.

I have settled on Eccos.  [size=78%](We have an Ecco outlet near me that saved me about $40, so that helped offset their higher price).[/size]

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »
$2 pair of Footjoys. Wife went to thrift store (probably Goodwill) and came home with pair of size 13, new condition Footjoys that they couldn't sell. I couldn't get my size 13 feet into them, and couldn't figure out why.

On closer examination, I discovered there were a set of orthopedic inserts in them that reduced them to size 11 or less. When I pulled the inserts out, they were perfect. Obviously, everyone who tried them at the store found they didn't fit, thereby leaving for my wife to find and bring home.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2022, 03:37:33 PM »
I don't miss old cotton shirts, and baggy Dockers-style pants.  I will take the new tech (now 20 years old) breathable fabrics all day.

Ecco are great, but for some reason their Euro sizing doesn't work for me.  I am a US 11, but their equivalent is not an exact fit.

Nice to see all the BOA users on this thread.  I used to be on the board of the company...I get the BOA version of any shoe if it's available.  For me, I got advice from a doctor in Santa Barbara who used to participate on this board years ago, who recommended simple trail running/workout shoes for golf when conditions are dry.  My regular course is usually dry and firm, so just wearing New Balance trail running shoes gives me all the traction I need, plus they are light and comfortable.  And I can wear them from house to the course.

No desire to ever wear the leather FJ Classics with nails that I wore growing up...they'd soak up water and weigh a ton by the end of an early morning round.  An "oz = pound" as they say in hiking and military.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Foley

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2022, 05:48:14 PM »
Another HUGE fan of Ecco's. Just bought two new pairs of the new BIOM's and am loving them.

Need to find a good pair of running sneaks to wear on the dry days. I'm going to follow Bogey's lead and try out the OnClouds.

As for the hi-tech fabrics, give me them everyday. No more 100% cotton unless it's over the base layer.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2022, 05:57:29 PM »
$2 pair of Footjoys. Wife went to thrift store (probably Goodwill) and came home with pair of size 13, new condition Footjoys that they couldn't sell. I couldn't get my size 13 feet into them, and couldn't figure out why.

On closer examination, I discovered there were a set of orthopedic inserts in them that reduced them to size 11 or less. When I pulled the inserts out, they were perfect. Obviously, everyone who tried them at the store found they didn't fit, thereby leaving for my wife to find and bring home.

I can't like this enough!

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2022, 06:21:20 PM »

:) I'm with you, Tom. It goes hand in hand with stylishly draping linens, cottons, and wools being replaced by these god-awful NASA-infused microfibers with space age moisture wicking agents (that we'll no doubt soon discover cause cancer in lab rats) in this new slim-cut style perfect only for 12 year old boys and men shaped like Justin Thomas, all in the name of today's golfers somehow being "athletes". To the clouds this old man yells "Ben Hogan was a GOLFER!"

Couldn't agree with both of you more. I still have 8 or 9 pair of leather FootJoy's, J&M's and some others. While I agree with your comments on the trend of slim cut styles in pants and clothes that seem to lend itself to Emo or Boy Band concert goers, we certainly have come a long way since this type of abomination:

https://golfshorts.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/1999c.jpg

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2022, 06:59:21 PM »
Not going to say they are better than anything or the best, but I recently got a new pair of ECCO golf shoes as a gift. In addition to the classic all white they are very comfortable and just ordered a 2nd pair to have in case they discontinue the color in the future.
Just saw TGW has them for $130 which is 60 cheaper than Amazon.  Also first YAK leather I have ever had and definitely softer.
ECCO Men's Biom Hybrid 3 Boa Hydromax Water Resistant

Once you go YAK you never go back! All kidding aside the ECCO’s are far and away the most functional and comfortable golf shoes I have owned. You can’t put a price on your feet especially as you get older.

Tim Martin

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »
I don’t have any experience with BOA. I get the premise for a pair of ski boots but does it make that much of a difference for golf or running shoes? Would like to hear from some of the champions of the system.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 10:47:17 AM by Tim Martin »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »
I don’t have any experience with BOA. I get the premise for a pair of ski boots but does it make that much of a difference for golf or running shoes? Would like to hear from some of the champions of the system.

The BOA lets me really customize the tightness around my feet  better than laces. Just turn the dial until it's perfect.

(Edited to make font legible size)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 04:36:48 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2022, 10:30:25 PM »
Not going to say they are better than anything or the best, but I recently got a new pair of ECCO golf shoes as a gift. In addition to the classic all white they are very comfortable and just ordered a 2nd pair to have in case they discontinue the color in the future.
Just saw TGW has them for $130 which is 60 cheaper than Amazon.  Also first YAK leather I have ever had and definitely softer.
ECCO Men's Biom Hybrid 3 Boa Hydromax Water Resistant

Once you go YAK you never go back! All kidding aside the ECCO’s are far and away the most functional and comfortable golf shoes I have owned. You can’t put a price on your feet especially as you get older.

The one pair of new ECCOs that I bought gave me no end to new blisters for some time. I carried an extra pair of shoes in my bag to change into at the turn. Yet, my $2 Footjoys never gave me a blister ever. The used ECCOs I bought never gave me a single blister, but then someone had already broken them in. The problem with the used ECCOs is that the sole eventually cracked open and let water in through the sole to soak my feet.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2022, 10:39:25 PM »
Too many seem to fall prey to advertising claims that you might be able to verify with a super computer simulation. My $10 discounted wool sweater from REI sheds rain and keeps me dry every bit as well as the "god-awful NASA-infused microfibers with space age moisture wicking agents".

Sort of like those that take the marketing slogan "The Shaft is the Engine of the Club" to be the gospel truth. I've got news for them. The golfer is the engine, the shaft is the drive shaft and the club head is the wheel where the rubber meets the road.
 :P

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2022, 02:17:00 AM »
Tim Martin (I didn't quote your question because of the ancient board software that obliterates your text), once you try a pair of golf shoes with BOA you probably won't buy another pair without them.  Easy on, easy off, and you can adjust the dial to the tightness/tension you prefer (with a consistent tension throughout your instep), and never have to worry about it during the round. 

I no longer have a financial interest in the company, but remain an enthusiastic fan.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2022, 06:40:30 PM »

Couldn't agree with both of you more. I still have 8 or 9 pair of leather FootJoy's, J&M's and some others. While I agree with your comments on the trend of slim cut styles in pants and clothes that seem to lend itself to Emo or Boy Band concert goers, we certainly have come a long way since this type of abomination:

https://golfshorts.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/1999c.jpg

I think if someone rolled up in the infamous Brookline Ryder Cup team shirt it would be ironically cool AF. Pleated khakis, not so much.
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Andy Shulman

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2022, 02:03:12 AM »
It looks like ECCO will be carrying the day, but consider G/FORE's MG4+ and/or Gallivanter.  Both are super comfy, waterproof and not bad looking IMO.

Ben Sims

« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2022, 09:47:54 AM »
There’s some questionable advice being dispensed here. As an avid and knowledgeable skier, you won’t see me in a Boa equipped boot. There’s a reason why Boa isn’t offered on hardly any high end PU shell. You can find it, sure, but serious boots don’t have it. That’s because it doesn’t allow for customization of fit the same as a traditional four buckle design. Same with skates.Boa works a peach in things like cycling shoes however. It dispenses pressure evenly on the top of the forefoot. I’ll not own shoes for the bike (clipless riding) that doesn’t have Boa ever again.

Moving on from Boa, zero drop and minimalist shoes wrecked my feet for a few years. I bought into the early hype for True and it bit me hard. Plantar Fasciitis and forefoot blisters abounded. I went back to the athletic shoe design around five years ago with Adidas boost and now the second generation of the Nike Infinity Tour and I think that’s the ticket. The latter in particular ticks a lot of boxes.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2022, 02:13:35 AM »
There’s some questionable advice being dispensed here. As an avid and knowledgeable skier, you won’t see me in a Boa equipped boot. There’s a reason why Boa isn’t offered on hardly any high end PU shell. You can find it, sure, but serious boots don’t have it. That’s because it doesn’t allow for customization of fit the same as a traditional four buckle design. Same with skates.Boa works a peach in things like cycling shoes however.

Ben, stay tuned.  Development for ski boots (as opposed to snowboard boots) is in the very early stages.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back