News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

This week the PGA tour is at Olympia Fields (North course). I was fortunate to play there in May of 2022. I'm a big fan of WP Jr designs and I enjoyed my day immensely.

One of my favorite holes (many to choose from!) is the par 4 3rd hole (439 yards):

(all photos are clickable to a larger size)

Tee view:

A good drive leaves an approach shot view like this to an elevated green:

View from short and left of the green:

View from the front edge of the green:

View from the back of the green:

A complete hole-by-hole tour can be found at this URL:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/OlympiaFieldsNorth/index.html

As always, enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 03:19:53 AM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Kavanaugh

Chicago turf, when prepared for an event, is the finest on earth. Makes you feel light on your feet.

MCirba

Chicago turf, when prepared for an event, is the finest on earth. Makes you feel light on your feet.

John,

Any idea why that is?   Looking to learn.  Thx.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kavanaugh

John,

Any idea why that is?   Looking to learn.  Thx.

It starts with Winter. Soil learns from and adapts to its environment over thousands of years. It’s a self preservation kinda thing.

Paul OConnor

"One of my favorite holes (many to choose from!) is the par 4 4th hole (439 yards):"
That's a great hole, it's #3 though. 

John, you are right about the turf.  It is so perfect right now, hard to explain. 

And the rough is up, should be a fun tournament. 

SL_Solow

It is indeed the third hole, one of my favorites which, when one drives in from the city is easily viewable from Vollmer Road.  It was even better prior to the Furyk Open when the USGA convinced (compelled) the club to soften the contours of the green to increase "acceptable" hole locations. In the era of persimmon and balata, when the hole was more of a long par 4, the hole was a tremendous challenge, but it was not insurmountable.  Still a wonderful hole but the elite players are now hitting much shorter irons to an easier (but not easy) green.

John Kavanaugh

Is the rough perfect this year?

Terry Lavin

The rough is deep and lush, but these guys are still managing to cope quite well.  This summer's weather in Chicagoland has been a little wacky.  Our June was a little drought-like and July and August have been very wet.  The last time the BMW was at Olympia, the conditions were ultra firm and fast.  Everybody loved the difficult setup and the locals felt some relief from the cajoling that was hurled in our direction after the first two days of the US Open in 2003.  Conditions changed for the weekend back in 2003 and the USGA triple cut and rolled the greens and utilized some very difficult hole locations to protect par.  At the end of the championship,  only three players broke par IIRC, but there was some residual tension about the suitability of the course for big pro tournaments. 

This year, the ground is very soft and they had lift clean and place on the first day.  More than half the field is currently under par.  Here's hoping that the course dries out a little bit so we can see some more "teeth" revealed around the North Course, which is still in my Top 3 in town.  Even if these guys continue to go low, I still am proud about how great the course looks and plays.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

mike_beene

Did the US Open play holes in same order as today? I assume today is actual order used by members?

Terry Lavin

Did the US Open play holes in same order as today? I assume today is actual order used by members?

Correct.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

John Kavanaugh

Terry, did the course meet expectations this week?

Terry Lavin

Terry, did the course meet expectations this week?

I fully expected the scoring to be on the low end of the spectrum, because of the weather for the past six weeks or so, which has been very rainy and warm.  I thought the rough might have provided more defense than it ultimately did, but there's no way I thought half the field would break par by the end of the championship.  I thought we might see a couple low scores, but I was blown away by the fact that Homa would break the course scoring record only to have Hovland break the Homa record the following day.  28 on the back nine on Sunday?  Uh, no, I didn't expect that, but it was thrilling to watch.

In short, the course was left relatively defenseless.  Just think about the difference in conditions and scoring in this BMW compared to the 2020 BMW, both of which were at OFCC.  In 2020, the course had conditions more typical for an August tournament.  It was firm and fast, with plenty of yellow/brown turf.  The greens were hard to "hold" and running around 13-14.  This year the entire course was a beautiful, verdant green and it was easy pickings for the pros.  I still thought it looked good and was very impressed by the work done by the very talented grounds crew.  I look forward to the next BMW at OFCC.  Now that we know that they won't roll back the ball in the meantime, I guess I'll just pray for drought!  Climate change comes in many forms, after all...

Jim O’Kane

This week the PGA tour is at Olympia Fields (North course). I was fortunate to play there in May of 2022. I'm a big fan of WP Jr designs and I enjoyed my day immensely.

One of my favorite holes (many to choose from!) is the par 4 3rd hole (439 yards):

(all photos are clickable to a larger size)

Tee view:

A good drive leaves an approach shot view like this to an elevated green:

View from short and left of the green:

View from the front edge of the green:

View from the back of the green:

A complete hole-by-hole tour can be found at this URL:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/OlympiaFieldsNorth/index.html

As always, enjoy!
Joe,

Thanks for this. Grew up on the NW side of Chicago and always wanted to play there. Considered joining as a non-resident shortly before Covid hit. Now, it's out of reach again, for me. Failure.

But, I've always wanted to see pics of angles like this.

You have the best photo albums Joe. I am thankful I was introduced to your work by yourself with the Country Club of FL album a few years ago.

Just wanted to say thank you for this treat.

Joe Bausch

So you're the person viewing the photos on my server!  ;)

Thanks for the kind words, Jim.

I've been fortunate to play many courses, some of them very nice. This year has been good. You might enjoy the full site, now with 674 courses:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/alphabetical_course_photos.html

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim O’Kane

So you're the person viewing the photos on my server!  ;)

Thanks for the kind words, Jim.

I've been fortunate to play many courses, some of them very nice. This year has been good. You might enjoy the full site, now with 674 courses:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/alphabetical_course_photos.html
Guilty as charged!
I have spent many a bleary-eyed morning due to staying up way too late looking at all of your incredible work Joe.

I confess it's been a while, but now armed with that tease, I'm headed right back.

Thanks for the link kind sir, and as always, your selfless sharing for the less fortunate such as I.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back