News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Observations after Scotland
« on: August 26, 2023, 11:31:24 AM »
We had the pleasure of playing 10 courses on our recent trip. Some thoughts in order of play. None of them are meant to be deeply analytic and probably will seem obvious to many of you.

Gleneagles Kings has an excellent set of difficult Par 4s. Numbers 4 and 13 are really first rate.

Gleneagles Queens can give  Swinley Forest a run for the money among strategic shorter courses.

15 through 18 at Blairgowrie Rosemont is worth the effort to play there.

Cruden Bay is a head scratcher for me. There are 18 good to very good holes, it has great land movement, and is very enjoyable to play. Yet, it did not strike me as one of the very best courses in the world. Perhaps my expectations were too high.

Do not miss Fraserburgh especially if you like natural, organic courses. 10 through 17 in particular is a stretch of variety and interest.

Playing as a one ball off the first visitor’s time at Royal Aberdeen is one of the luckier bookings I have made. The first nine is everything people say. I thought the second nine might have even stronger holes.

It really is true that understanding TOC on the first play is difficult. At least for me. We were fortunate to be playing with members who illuminated the holes, particularly the lines of play on 2 through 7, for me. The green complexes though were even better than advertised.

I am hard pressed to think of a better day on a course than at Elie. It was our second play and lived up to my pre-Covid memories. The weather turned unpleasant on 10-14, but it did not bother us a bit. Number 13 is one of the best Par 4s I have played (even with rain covering my glasses).

Playing Crail Balcomie into a strong wind from the west provides an extra challenge. It too was a return visit and held its place as one of the most scenic courses we have played.

Eden has a great set of greens and is a fitting way to finish a trip.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit personal, but this was our third and probably final trip to Scotland so having returned home, nostalgia is already kicking in.

Ira

Ben Sims

Re: Observations after Scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 12:08:53 PM »
Ira,

The thing that strikes me about Cruden Bay is how non-sequitur it has to be in a lineup of places like TOC, Crail, Elie, Etc.

On my own trip, 72 holes each at Nairn and Dunbar, I was struck at how easy the walks were. From a links in Scotland perspective, I don’t think that’s unique to those two courses. Three days of backpacking in the Rockies this week was distinctly, clearly, exponentially harder than the bigger mileage on my week in Scotland. Cruden Bay is an outlier in that respect I’d imagine and must subconsciously color opinion from time to time.

British Isles trip reports are a favorite of mine on the site at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 12:44:27 PM »
Ben,

I take your point and appreciate your posting. Fraserburgh is very similar to Cruden Bay in terms of a hike through the dunes. It is not as good as Cruden Bay because 1 and 18 are not very good and a couple of holes on the front are similar, but as I noted, it is a must play if you have CB on your itinerary.

It is not that I do not think that CB is a great course--it is. It just did not blow me away despite its scenic beauty and dramatic land movement (which I have high on my list of good features generally).
I probably should have scheduled two plays.

Ira

Peter Flory

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 02:46:18 PM »
I only played CB once and I don't have a great memory for individual holes in general, but I remember almost everything about it.  I found that there were a lot of distinctive holes and features.  In that way, it is somewhat similar to N Berwick in my mind. 

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 04:56:07 PM »

Sorry if this all sounds a bit personal, but this was our third and probably final trip to Scotland so having returned home, nostalgia is already kicking in.

Ira
No apology needed Ira. Posts like this encourage me (again) to leave my waffling buddies behind and finally do the trip of my dreams.

P.S. I wish you many more such visits in the future.

Bob Montle

Re: Observations after Scotland New
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2023, 03:08:37 PM »
I golf with fellow seniors 3x a week, and cannot persuade anyone to go to Scotland for two weeks

They all say they cannot walk the courses.  Boo!

I used to go every other YEAR, but my new wife won't let me go by myself anymore.   Sigh
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 04:22:22 PM by Bob Montle »
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2023, 05:54:07 PM »
The scenic views at Cruden Bay tend to take the eye away from the quality of some of the holes but it’s the figure of eight routing that’s long impressed me. And the terrific St Olaf course, which shouldn’t be missed. Special place.
Atb

John Challenger

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 07:23:24 AM »
Ira, Thanks for these excellent and concise observations. It helps me to think about the courses I play. Putting every one of these courses on my list. I haven't played any of them yet, other than TOC in my distant past.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back