News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: The U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship Venues 1922-2014
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 10:19:33 PM »
Trivia Question

Only course to host the USGA Open and the USGA Public Links is ...?

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 10:24:44 PM »
I have played four US Amateur Public Links venues.

Rancho Park I played many times in college and I enjoyed the course.  The only problem was many rounds were 6 hours long and we played in fivesomes.  The city really liked to pack those courses full of people.  Sometimes you’d have to wait an hour or more to get into that 6 hour group, so you could pretty much kiss the rest of your day goodbye.  After playing many rounds in LA I can say I never tried to seek out other populated cities most popular golf courses which may explain why I only played four.

Brookside was a really nice change of pace from the LA city courses, because rounds there were only five hours long and you could hit balls into the Rose Bowl.

I played Bryan Park by mistake on a road trip and remember liking the course but I don’t remember much else about it.

I really miss the Public Links because that was one tourney I felt like a muni golfer really had an outside shot of making.  I tried out for the Public Links every year from 2003-2014.  In 2013, I was lucky enough to qualify for the US Publinks at Laurel Hill in Lorton Virginia. The week of the tournament, the temps were in the 100’s and the heat index was somewhere between 108-115.  It was like playing golf in a sauna.  Unlike Matt, I had a feeling shortly after I arrived that I probably shouldn’t be here.  After all, I was a second alternate in the qualifier and only really got in through shear luck.  Needless to say I shot an 81 in the first round and was only 18 shots off the leader who broke the course record with a 63. The course was probably the shortest course they had played in recent years,but it was far too long for me.  I had to hit 5-6 approach shots with 2 hybrids or 3-woods.  I remember playing an uphill 615-yard Par 5 with a good drive, good 3 wood and 8 iron. Some of these guys were getting on in two with less than 3 wood.  I was clearly out of my element, but the USGA treated all the participants like kings that week and it will always be a fond memory.

I wish the Public Links would come back.  Perhaps with recent restorations at Cobb’s Creek, Keney Park, Memorial Park, East Potomac Park, etc, these municipal courses could hold the tournament themselves.  Maybe make a National Municipal Links championship to provide a championship for city players.  I know one of the problems we ran into in Connecticut was finding public sites willing to give their golf course away for an entire day while the USGA ran their 36-hole qualifiers.  The season is short in the Northeast and giving away a days worth of play is hard to overcome for many truly municipal courses.  Today, many states still run their own Public Links tournaments and the new tourney could just select the top finishers from those events to alleviate the qualifier issue they ran into in the past.  Cobb’s Creek looks like they are setting themselves up for big tournaments, how about hosting your own National Public Links?

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 11:53:45 PM »
Trivia Question

Torry Pines South
Be the ball

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 09:15:13 AM »

I should have done better research. I guess that there are two!

The Country Club of Buffalo hosted the USGA Open in 1912. In 1923, the club moved out to its present location, and the course was turned over to the city of Buffalo. The Grover Cleveland golf course hosted the USGA Public Links in 1926.

Thanks to Jeff for dispelling my homer notion of the city of Good Neighbors as being the one and only.

Trivia Question

Torry Pines South
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Steve Lang

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 01:02:04 PM »
1953 U.S. Publinks was at West Seattle Golf Course, one of three municipal courses in Seattle.  Seattle Golf Club is private, so it appeared to be a misprint.

Charles Lund

Thanks Charles, edit to OP made and attributed
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2022, 01:15:30 PM »

I should have done better research. I guess that there are two!

The Country Club of Buffalo hosted the USGA Open in 1912. In 1923, the club moved out to its present location, and the course was turned over to the city of Buffalo. The Grover Cleveland golf course hosted the USGA Public Links in 1926.

Thanks to Jeff for dispelling my homer notion of the city of Good Neighbors as being the one and only.

Trivia Question

Torry Pines South

RM,  Did the Anchor Bar ever change names before 1964?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 07:30:11 PM »
it was originally Frank & Terresa's Anchor Bar, but they dropped the first names a bit ago.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

MCirba

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2022, 07:30:32 AM »
Played Rackham yesterday. 

It could have been a poster child for golf's revitalization during Covid. The place was jammed and humming with all ages, genders, ethnicities, and abilities.

I felt good for golf.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2022, 11:27:28 AM »
Steve, I've been intrigued by Pecan Valley for years. A gentleman I met years ago played there often in the 50s/60s and spoke lovingly about it. (He was kind enough to gift me a logo hat to complete my birth year collection of majors venues).It's been mentioned here in the past, but only from a handful of posters that highlighted conditions and PV's neighborhood. Very few hole/routing details were offered. I got the feeling its closing wasn't met with a great deal of sadness.
Hominy is an absolutely bear when the rough is grown and a very underrated course. Blue Heron has always been overrated in my opinion.

Pecan Valley was terrific for a short stretch of time after it was renovated and before its conditioning declined.  I played it in that sweet spot around the time of the Publinx and found it delightful. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2022, 11:31:21 AM »
I counted 13 that I have played.  Most are true public courses - largely municipal and nothing like the destination resort courses you see today.  You can see how public golf changed by comparing the venues for most of the life of the event as opposed to the last hew years.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2022, 09:00:44 PM »
Played Rackham yesterday. 

It could have been a poster child for golf's revitalization during Covid. The place was jammed and humming with all ages, genders, ethnicities, and abilities.

I felt good for golf.

Terrific Ross course at least after hole 6. Jerry Mathews redid the first five holes because of 696.  The holes on the back 9 especially near the zoo are very good. One could argue the clubhouse is worth the trip alone.

At one time Detroit had four Ross courses.

Chris

Steve Lang

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2022, 10:55:43 AM »
 8)  Chris,
You need to get outside the city limits... don't have to cross into Ohio, but there's lot more Ross around Detroit.. :o
The voice of Inverness"

Pat Burke

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2022, 11:16:04 AM »
I played in ‘85 and ‘86

It was really a great tournament to play.

A lot of players were gaming the system of “public” golfer and it did just become another college dominated event. Too bad, starting at the qualifiers, it was a unique event

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »
8)  Chris,
You need to get outside the city limits... don't have to cross into Ohio, but there's lot more Ross around Detroit.. :o

Steve,

I don't live in Michigan.  Just enjoy golfing there - it unfortunately or fortunately has more to offer than my home state.

There isn't a public Donald Ross Course that I have not played in Michigan and Ohio.  Including a few that have closed (Rogell being one of them).

Thanks,
Chris

Steve Lang

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2022, 12:07:53 PM »
 8)  Chris,
Cool,... ever list your Mich-Ohio Ross Trail in a thread?   

ps I get amused that sometimes folks along the freeways from Toledo to Ann Arbor to Flint claim to be Detroiters... ::)
The voice of Inverness"

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2022, 01:24:40 PM »
8)  Chris,
Cool,... ever list your Mich-Ohio Ross Trail in a thread?   

ps I get amused that sometimes folks along the freeways from Toledo to Ann Arbor to Flint claim to be Detroiters... ::)

I would never claim to be from ANY city in Michigan, but that just an OH- IO thing . . .

I may have listed the  MI / OH Ross courses I like in a thread (but I don't remember at this point), I can say the following are / were very good public:

* Manakiki
* Shadow Ridge
* Rogell (NLE)
* The Higlands (Grand Rapids - NLE)
* Monroe (has a few good holes and some wild greens - Mathews did not do this course any favors)
* Denison (has a great layout, but many of the greens appear to have been altered)
* Ellks CC (McDermott)

I have played a handful of the private ones in both states, but the ones I have not played and hope to one day are Springfield, Mansfield, Franklin Hills and Zanesville.

Thanks,

Chris

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2022, 11:43:11 PM »
The Public Links was my favorite championship and the only one I ever came close to qualifying for. My thought is they dropped it because of the challenges in defining private course access and didn't want to deal with it anymore. A shame they let it go

Greg Hohman

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2022, 03:19:10 PM »
From pamphlet prepared for Thirteenth Annual National Public Links Golf Championship, South Park County Course (design: Riis), Pittsburgh PA, July 30, 31, August 1, 2, 3, 4, 1934.

The South Park course is situated eight miles from the downtown district of Pittsburgh or about a 20-minute ride with a yardage of 6,590 and a par of 72. The original golf course began on what is now #17.

No. 1, 507 Yards, Par 5

Reverse dog leg, right, left, right, running 200, 200 and 107 yards to green; easy grade; five fairway traps at vantage points, with two large sand traps guarding green; the longest hole on the course; will challenge the skill of the best golfers; a birdie here will be well earned.

No. 2, 368 Yards, Par 4

Fairway dips to a point 200 yards in direction of two magnificent oaks, one at either side at this distance; the fairway flanked somewhat by shrubbery with a rather acute rise from the 200-yard line. A not too easy four. Round, undulating green surrounded by three traps, with four fairway traps at strategic points.

No. 3, 388 Yards, Par 4

The tee runs due south, bordering the practice fairway, overlooking a beautiful valley. Fairway runs to a slight dip at a point 165 yards from tee, rising slightly from that point to an oblong, undulating green; both fairway and green well trapped and bunkered.

No. 4, 378 Yards, Par 4

Trap on left 165 yards; on right 185 yards, fairway running straightaway to double oblong green; approach to green on left well bunkered and trapped in rear and on sides.

No. 5, 474 Yards, Par 5

Fairway banked on right with dip 200 yards from tee; slight dog leg, right, left, with three fairway traps, two to left and one to right at this point; fairway rising to a beautiful saucer green surrounded by six traps, the green, unlike most of the others, recessed, inviting accurate iron shot.

No. 6, 409 Yards, Par 4

This fairway banked on right similar to No. 3, leading downgrade to point 200 yards, trapped on both sides; fairway from this point leads upgrade straight to green, which rests just below crest of hill, shelved out of solid rock; green and approaches surrounded by sand and grass traps.

No. 7, 470 Yards, Par 5

Slight dog leg to right; traps 200, 300 and 350 yards leading to oblong, saucer green well trapped on sides and rear. This green cut out of solid rock formation.

No. 8, 245 Yards, Par 3 (You can still see the remnants of this tee above and to the left of what is now 5 green.)

Straightaway, on a slight rise; two fairway traps; undulating green surrounded by grass and sand traps. This green skirts the fairway of the practice ground.

No. 9, 428 Yards, Par 4

From an elevated tee the fairway drops down unto valley, with slight dog leg to left at 250-yard mark. Three large sand traps to right of fairway at 200 yards. A rolling fairway from dog leg to green which has traps on both right and left with bunkers on right. Green is large and elevated slightly at back to hold full shot played to carry to green.

No. 10, 148 Yards, Par 3

A short hole, which is one of the most beautiful water holes in the Western Pennsylvania district. Slightly to the right stands "patriarch," a massive 400-year-old oak; fairway dips keenly to a waterfall where a shallow lake separates tee from green, rising rather abruptly up hill to green.

No. 11, 441 Yards, Par 4 (This one played to what is now the putting green.)

This fairway extends along shelf to a rather acute dip 200 yards from tee, forming somewhat of a natural hazard, with three fairway traps well placed, one short of dip and two beyond; from this point fairway rises rather keenly towards club house 240 yards straightaway.

No. 12, 451 Yards, Par 5

A right hand dog leg from tee down a rather acute grade to dip, 165 yards from tee; from this point fairway extends along plateau to green, skirted on left by a magnificent oak; shot must be placed well to right in order to reach this green on second or approach shot; fairway shirted by five traps, including approach to green on right of fairway. Green surrounded by four sand and two grass traps.

No. 13, 429 Yards, Par 4

Fairway bears to right into rising ground; slight dog leg, left, right; three fairway traps on right at strategic intervals; in order to drain traps on fairway, excavation of nine feet was made; one of the best constructed holes on the course, with double, undulating green, which rests in front of three beautifully placed oaks, the center tree on direct line to hole.

No. 14, 345 Yards, Par 4

Acute right, left dog leg; tee built on an elevation. A fine hole but good golf necessary to make par. Fairway skirted by four sand traps, the green, a beautiful double saucer effect, with mound at mouth, separated into two sections, surrounded by five well-placed traps in rear and sides.

No. 15, 239 Yards, Par 3

Overlooking a beautiful valley in the north-western corner of the course; abounds in natural hazards; the green rests between a clump of trees, one of the many intriguing characteristics of the South Park course. A hard three with three sand traps surrounding the green. A sporty hole.

No. 16, 398 Yards, Par 4

Slight left, right dog leg; starting with gentle rise to a more acute elevation from a point 200 yards from tee; natural hazards bordering rough; fairway skirted by three sand traps, one at 200 and two at 300 yards from tee; undulating, elevated round green, surrounded by three sand traps, commanding beautiful view.

No. 17, 151 Yards, Par 3

Tee and green on equal elevation, with beautiful dip between. An oblong, undulating green; being trapped on sides and rear. A sporty three, all carry.

No. 18, 321 Yards, Par 4

Affording sporty approach shot to an elevated, undulating, oval green, overlooking 100 acres of wooded valley. Three fairway traps, well placed, with two large sand traps guarding green; straightaway; a fine hole.

Pamphlet source: Jim Stanko, Friends of South Park.
newmonumentsgc.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back