News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: The U.S. Amateur Public Links Championship Venues 1922-2014
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 10:19:33 PM »
Trivia Question

Only course to host the USGA Open and the USGA Public Links is ...?

Maybe for 2022
~Eden Valley
~Hillview
~Pinehurst (NY)
~Kis 'N Greens
~Pine Meadows
~18 Mile Creek
~Greenwood
~Shawnee
~Leroy
~

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 10:24:44 PM »
I have played four US Amateur Public Links venues.

Rancho Park I played many times in college and I enjoyed the course.  The only problem was many rounds were 6 hours long and we played in fivesomes.  The city really liked to pack those courses full of people.  Sometimes you’d have to wait an hour or more to get into that 6 hour group, so you could pretty much kiss the rest of your day goodbye.  After playing many rounds in LA I can say I never tried to seek out other populated cities most popular golf courses which may explain why I only played four.

Brookside was a really nice change of pace from the LA city courses, because rounds there were only five hours long and you could hit balls into the Rose Bowl.

I played Bryan Park by mistake on a road trip and remember liking the course but I don’t remember much else about it.

I really miss the Public Links because that was one tourney I felt like a muni golfer really had an outside shot of making.  I tried out for the Public Links every year from 2003-2014.  In 2013, I was lucky enough to qualify for the US Publinks at Laurel Hill in Lorton Virginia. The week of the tournament, the temps were in the 100’s and the heat index was somewhere between 108-115.  It was like playing golf in a sauna.  Unlike Matt, I had a feeling shortly after I arrived that I probably shouldn’t be here.  After all, I was a second alternate in the qualifier and only really got in through shear luck.  Needless to say I shot an 81 in the first round and was only 18 shots off the leader who broke the course record with a 63. The course was probably the shortest course they had played in recent years,but it was far too long for me.  I had to hit 5-6 approach shots with 2 hybrids or 3-woods.  I remember playing an uphill 615-yard Par 5 with a good drive, good 3 wood and 8 iron. Some of these guys were getting on in two with less than 3 wood.  I was clearly out of my element, but the USGA treated all the participants like kings that week and it will always be a fond memory.

I wish the Public Links would come back.  Perhaps with recent restorations at Cobb’s Creek, Keney Park, Memorial Park, East Potomac Park, etc, these municipal courses could hold the tournament themselves.  Maybe make a National Municipal Links championship to provide a championship for city players.  I know one of the problems we ran into in Connecticut was finding public sites willing to give their golf course away for an entire day while the USGA ran their 36-hole qualifiers.  The season is short in the Northeast and giving away a days worth of play is hard to overcome for many truly municipal courses.  Today, many states still run their own Public Links tournaments and the new tourney could just select the top finishers from those events to alleviate the qualifier issue they ran into in the past.  Cobb’s Creek looks like they are setting themselves up for big tournaments, how about hosting your own National Public Links?

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 11:53:45 PM »
Trivia Question

Torry Pines South
Be the ball

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 09:15:13 AM »

I should have done better research. I guess that there are two!

The Country Club of Buffalo hosted the USGA Open in 1912. In 1923, the club moved out to its present location, and the course was turned over to the city of Buffalo. The Grover Cleveland golf course hosted the USGA Public Links in 1926.

Thanks to Jeff for dispelling my homer notion of the city of Good Neighbors as being the one and only.

Trivia Question

Torry Pines South
Maybe for 2022
~Eden Valley
~Hillview
~Pinehurst (NY)
~Kis 'N Greens
~Pine Meadows
~18 Mile Creek
~Greenwood
~Shawnee
~Leroy
~

Steve Lang

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 01:02:04 PM »
1953 U.S. Publinks was at West Seattle Golf Course, one of three municipal courses in Seattle.  Seattle Golf Club is private, so it appeared to be a misprint.

Charles Lund

Thanks Charles, edit to OP made and attributed
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve Lang

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2022, 01:15:30 PM »

I should have done better research. I guess that there are two!

The Country Club of Buffalo hosted the USGA Open in 1912. In 1923, the club moved out to its present location, and the course was turned over to the city of Buffalo. The Grover Cleveland golf course hosted the USGA Public Links in 1926.

Thanks to Jeff for dispelling my homer notion of the city of Good Neighbors as being the one and only.

Trivia Question

Torry Pines South

RM,  Did the Anchor Bar ever change names before 1964?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 07:30:11 PM »
it was originally Frank & Terresa's Anchor Bar, but they dropped the first names a bit ago.
Maybe for 2022
~Eden Valley
~Hillview
~Pinehurst (NY)
~Kis 'N Greens
~Pine Meadows
~18 Mile Creek
~Greenwood
~Shawnee
~Leroy
~

MCirba

Played Rackham yesterday. 

It could have been a poster child for golf's revitalization during Covid. The place was jammed and humming with all ages, genders, ethnicities, and abilities.

I felt good for golf.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jason Topp

Steve, I've been intrigued by Pecan Valley for years. A gentleman I met years ago played there often in the 50s/60s and spoke lovingly about it. (He was kind enough to gift me a logo hat to complete my birth year collection of majors venues).It's been mentioned here in the past, but only from a handful of posters that highlighted conditions and PV's neighborhood. Very few hole/routing details were offered. I got the feeling its closing wasn't met with a great deal of sadness.
Hominy is an absolutely bear when the rough is grown and a very underrated course. Blue Heron has always been overrated in my opinion.

Pecan Valley was terrific for a short stretch of time after it was renovated and before its conditioning declined.  I played it in that sweet spot around the time of the Publinx and found it delightful. 

Jason Topp

I counted 13 that I have played.  Most are true public courses - largely municipal and nothing like the destination resort courses you see today.  You can see how public golf changed by comparing the venues for most of the life of the event as opposed to the last hew years.

Chris_Blakely

Played Rackham yesterday. 

It could have been a poster child for golf's revitalization during Covid. The place was jammed and humming with all ages, genders, ethnicities, and abilities.

I felt good for golf.

Terrific Ross course at least after hole 6. Jerry Mathews redid the first five holes because of 696.  The holes on the back 9 especially near the zoo are very good. One could argue the clubhouse is worth the trip alone.

At one time Detroit had four Ross courses.

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back