News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

The early holes form Plainfield opinion.
« on: May 10, 2022, 11:39:56 AM »
A stretch of holes can form one’s opinion of a course. The strong start particularly 1 and 4 gets people enamored with Plainfield.

Once the back nine starts with 10 (goofy) some begin to wonder about the course.

11 lifts the opinion back up because of its unique greatness.

The water holes are so so and the par five 16) that follows is cracking.

But 17/18 are quite subpar leaving one with a mixed view.

In the end it’s a nice course but far from great and not #2 in NJ as some suggest.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 11:45:00 AM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

James Bennett

Re: The early holes form Plainfield opinion.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 12:02:10 AM »
Mayday

I was very happy to see the first 17 holes, as all of those had merit.  Some more than others, including 9, 10, 13-15 (good holes on flat land) and 17 (the OOB impacts an otherwise good hole.

18.  Well it is just one hole.  There is a similar debate at Cypress Point, which doesn't detract from the overall experience at CPC.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 09:26:57 AM »
Mayday

I was very happy to see the first 17 holes, as all of those had merit.  Some more than others, including 9, 10, 13-15 (good holes on flat land) and 17 (the OOB impacts an otherwise good hole.

18.  Well it is just one hole.  There is a similar debate at Cypress Point, which doesn't detract from the overall experience at CPC.

James B

James,

It just knocks the course off a pinnacle
AKA Mayday

Jeff Schley

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 02:45:55 PM »
Mike I really like Plainfield quite a bit. It is a top 100 course certainly and top 50 US course IMO.
Some standouts just from memory is 11 is one of the best short par 3's I have played, with the false front being obvious, but the undulations in the rest of the green provide wonderful options when missing the green. Awesome hole.

Hole 12 is a very good par 5 which makes you execute your 2nd shot to avoid the creek and give an angle to the green. Packaged with 11 my favorite back to back holes at PCC.
Also for as mundane as 18 is, 17 is a wonderful par 4 which makes up for it. Extremely difficult approach to hit an elevated green.

Overall I have no complaints on PCC when taken in totality and the greens are kept in great shape with Ross being preserved.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back