News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam G

Beau Welling Is New Consulting Architect at ANGC?
« on: May 09, 2022, 03:18:50 PM »
Some interesting rumblings here that Beau Welling is now officially the consulting architect at ANGC. This is consistent with what Geoff Shackelford said about Beau being in charge of the work on 11 and 15 this year.

Curious what people think of this choice.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Beau Welling Is New Consulting Architect at ANGC?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 07:59:42 PM »
Is he Tiger’s surrogate? If so, he is the perfect choice.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 08:01:15 AM »
I suspect there is another reason, John.  ANGC chairman - Fred Ridley - is a friend of billionaire and Pelican Golf Club (Belleair, FL) owner - Dan Doyle.  Ridley also serves on Doyle's Pelican board.  You can guest who designed Pelican....Beau Welling.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 10:03:07 AM »
Fred has more billionaire friends than your average joe. I seriously doubt that he is impressed by a third comma enough to screw with his baby. Now Tiger’s opinion is another story. Tiger has earned the right to fiduddle with history.

Ben Sims

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 02:11:39 PM »
Take a casual glance at the aesthetic at Bluejack. Also, certainly understands toonamint golf as a primary at PGA Frisco. Also, Welling is from SC if I remember correctly. Played college golf, at Brown. Lots of reasons to think he’s an easy hire for ANGC.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 02:23:00 PM »
I suppose I am surprised they didn't ask Crenshaw (& Coore).
H.P.S.

Paul Jones

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 02:37:08 PM »
I suppose I am surprised they didn't ask Crenshaw (& Coore).

I thought Ben Crenshaw was quoted as saying he loves ANGC but would never want to be the consulting architect.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 04:18:42 PM »
Seems are fairly easy connection to make, as a former associate of Fazio design.  He's already familiar with the club's inner workings and tournament process. They obviously like what they've seen of him. I'm not really sure there's much more to it.

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 09:45:11 PM »
Who was Ridley's college roomate?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 11:20:36 AM »
I suspect there is another reason, John.  ANGC chairman - Fred Ridley - is a friend of billionaire and Pelican Golf Club (Belleair, FL) owner - Dan Doyle.  Ridley also serves on Doyle's Pelican board.  You can guest who designed Pelican....Beau Welling.

I played the Pelican Club yesterday. For a flat property, the course is very good. The greens in particular were interesting with a wide range of movement, size and shape, but with a consistent palette. There is plenty of width off the tees and a good mix of short and long holes including a good short par 4 on each 9 (#1 and #17). There was a steady wind yesterday that played differently from hole to hole because the routing takes the holes in a variety of directions. 18 is a tough closer and one of the few holes with water in play. Sort of like #18 at Bay Hill, but with a lot of room to bail out on the left. Here's a link to photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720298820950

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 05:17:00 PM »

I played the Pelican Club yesterday. For a flat property, the course is very good. The greens in particular were interesting with a wide range of movement, size and shape, but with a consistent palette. There is plenty of width off the tees and a good mix of short and long holes including a good short par 4 on each 9 (#1 and #17). There was a steady wind yesterday that played differently from hole to hole because the routing takes the holes in a variety of directions. 18 is a tough closer and one of the few holes with water in play. Sort of like #18 at Bay Hill, but with a lot of room to bail out on the left. Here's a link to photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720298820950
Stewart,

Based on the pictures, Pelican looks like a perfectly nice course to play if one is in town, but it doesn’t look like a course worth a special visit. It just doesn’t appear to be a property blessed with many features to creatively employ.

Just to be clear, my comments are based on the pictures, not first hand experience walking and/or playing the course.
Tim Weiman

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »

Stewart,

Based on the pictures, Pelican looks like a perfectly nice course to play if one is in town, but it doesn’t look like a course worth a special visit. It just doesn’t appear to be a property blessed with many features to creatively employ.

Just to be clear, my comments are based on the pictures, not first hand experience walking and/or playing the course.

I haven't played many private courses in the area so don't have a lot to compare it to. It is head and shoulders above any of the public courses in the St Pete area. The property is nothing special. I think they did pretty well with what they started with. The old Bellview Biltmore was a mess when they got it. As I mentioned, I think the greens are quite good. There are several false fronts and sides. The eighth green in particular has a lot of interest. I watched all kinds of creative short game shots from the LPGA players there last fall. They did add some movement to the fairways so you can get a few sidehill, uphill and downhill lies in fairways (e.g. there is a spine in the 18th Fairway I hit a real good tee shot but had a very awkward sidehill stance in the fairway for my approach). The course also lets you run up shots to many of the holes so it is less of an aerial game than many Florida courses. I played a number of "bump & runs" and used my putter from well off the green a few times. I wouldn't fly from NY just to visit. It's no Streamsong or World Woods, but it's definitely worth playing when  in the area. For me it was more fun than Copperhead.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 07:06:56 PM by Stewart Abramson »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 09:03:38 PM »
If Tom Fazio truly is retiring, will Pine Valley change architects?  Gil Hanse is a new member and lives close by. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back