News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Palm Beach/Stuart Golf
« on: May 08, 2022, 03:04:34 PM »
Heading to Palm Beach/Stuart area for Memorial Day. Used to live in PB during the winter but that was 30+ years ago.

What courses do you guys like ? I am fascinated with Gulfstream, Pine Tree and the WPB Muni renovation.

I know there are a lot of new courses since I was around.

Your recommendations ?

Joe Bausch

Re: Palm Beach/Stuart Golf
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 04:27:14 PM »
I’ve played Pine Tree and it is really good. 

I’ll also rec the Palm Beach Par 3 course.

Photo albums for both:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/PineTree/index.html

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/PalmBeachPar3/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 04:43:23 PM »
Try North Palm Beach GC, a Jack Nicklaus redesign of a Seth Raynor, now a high end muni. I enjoyed my round there. Very challenging greens.

https://www.village-npb.org/666/Golf-Course
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Worth

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 04:59:03 PM »
Try North Palm Beach GC, a Jack Nicklaus redesign of a Seth Raynor, now a high end muni. I enjoyed my round there. Very challenging greens.

https://www.village-npb.org/666/Golf-Course

I now live in PBG although consider myself a snowbird as I’m in Philly (and the Catskills) the other half of the year.

I echo what Steve says about North Palm municipal. It’s a sporty course, formerly a Seth Raynor and redone by Jack Nicklaus twice.  I played it 5 times this winter. Not sure of your dates, but the green fee goes to $75 starting June 1.  Staff is friendly and accommodating — it may be a municipal course but their outside staff is A++

Also check out Abacoa in Jupiter — by Joe Lee. 

West Palm Municipal is growing in and will not be open until October/November.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 05:02:54 PM by Mike Worth »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 05:50:29 AM »
Heading to Palm Beach/Stuart area for Memorial Day. Used to live in PB during the winter but that was 30+ years ago.

What courses do you guys like ? I am fascinated with Gulfstream, Pine Tree and the WPB Muni renovation.

Your recommendations ?

Gulfstream has always closed right after Mothers Day. Some of the private clubs will already be into summer cultural practices. Dont sleep on Palm Beach Par 3....
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 07:12:58 AM »

Your recommendations ?

Gulfstream has always closed right after Mothers Day. Some of the private clubs will already be into summer cultural practices. Dont sleep on Palm Beach Par 3....

Don't miss having lunch at the upstairs restaurant at the par 3.  One of the best you'll have and often hard to get into.

DFarron

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 09:40:46 AM »

Your recommendations ?

Don't miss having lunch at the upstairs restaurant at the par 3.  One of the best you'll have and often hard to get into.

Mom and dad had a condo 6 blocks south of the Par 3, played there a lot but the restaurant must be new.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 11:53:20 AM »
On the public side I'm a fan of Florida Club. Definitely some sophisticated shaping and features that most of the other courses in its general area and price range (I'm talking Summerfield, Lost Lake, Fox Club etc.) do not have.

The new Match Course at PGA National is awesome, too. Not sure if they take non-member/non-resort-guest play but worth investigating.

The PGA Village courses up in Port St. Lucie are all mint right now, and the Dye Course is one of my favorites.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Bill Crane

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 05:19:42 PM »
Concur with the recommendation of the Dye course at PGA village.    Great features for Fla.

If you are members of a club or know a PGA pro who can call there in advance you get a discount and maybe preferential times.

In terms of inexpensive golf - I played Martin Downs golf course with my father in law about 3 years ago and remember there being some really good holes.   Of course, it is FLA and there were some real clunkers too and a few long walks.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 11:16:48 PM by Bill Crane »

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 08:50:18 PM »
I recently played Country Club of Florida in Boynton Beach, about 20 minutes South of West Palm. I knew nothing about it beforehand and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a Lester Gorge re-design of an Arthur Hills Course. Here's a link to photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720298096825

Bernie Bell

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 03:01:54 PM »

Your recommendations ?

Second that.  "Al Fresco." 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 05:28:54 PM »
I recently played Country Club of Florida in Boynton Beach, about 20 minutes South of West Palm. I knew nothing about it beforehand and was very pleasantly surprised. It's a Lester Gorge re-design of an Arthur Hills Course. Here's a link to photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72177720298096825

Very good rec!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 09:42:19 PM »

Special place. Very good recommendation. One of my favorite places.

I think it's a Robert Harris course though, that was updated by Arthur Hills in the 80's and then Lester George. It has some exceptional elevation and undulation for that area.

It's one of the rare courses I know whose holes never consecutively repeat par, and the sequence is the same on the front as the back. So, no par 4's in a row, etc.

The locker room is outstanding.

DFarron

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2022, 09:00:25 PM »
Got the Heisman at CCF, most of the privates are closed for the summer or you've got to be with a member.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 10:04:55 AM »
Got the Heisman at CCF, most of the privates are closed for the summer or you've got to be with a member.

CCF is probably one of the hardest tickets in the state at anytime of year...
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

DFarron

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 10:16:18 AM »
I figured being in the business and it being the off season someone would me….lol may have to make a road trip to Streamsong.

DFarron

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2022, 06:56:12 PM »
Going to do the Blue Course at Trump Doral. Looking forward to see what Gil Hanse has done there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back