News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Brian_Ewen

Re: Way O.T. - "The Strange Business Of Hole-In One Insurance"
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 01:52:55 PM »
All I got was a Sunday Post Putter  :(

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 03:43:14 PM »
Quit reading at “The ball careened”. Who are these people?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 05:44:46 PM »
"Who are these people?"

I've wondered the same thing many times.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 06:05:17 PM »

“The ball careened 150 yards through the air, plopped onto the green, and slowly rolled back into the hole.

Worst description of a one holed in the history of the game.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 09:03:35 AM »
There is a fourth factor (unmentioned) in likelihood of a hole-in-one being made.  I would think that hole placement on the green could greatly change the chances of an ace being made.  I guess the insurer must plan for a worst case scenario (easiest location), since it would seem that the tournament sponsor generates more buzz if multiple people can come relatively close to the hole.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 11:07:44 AM »
I think it was a real estate developer in the western suburbs who used a phony hole-in-one scam to  pay off the mayor of Oak Brook Terrace for a favorable development approval process in his town. As I recall people actually went to jail when the scheme was revealed.

I've never actually won a prize for any of my aces. At Troon North the two guys Ii was playing with (I had shown up as a single) left after the round and I had to go into the pro shop to ask the pros working behind the counter to come into the bar so I'd have someone to buy a drink for.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 07:57:30 PM »
I’ve had four and the first was at Flossmoor on my birthday in an all member event.

As such, drinks were included, which was good because the locker room manager had forgotten to charge me for the “insurance.”  Would’ve been an expensive 19th hole…
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 11:25:55 AM »
Early in my career, Kemper Lakes had a hole in one prize, ensured by Lloyds of London.  As it happened, someone won it and the next morning we got a call from Lloyds to confirm the details of the hole.  They wanted to know if it was shorter than advertised (luckily theirs was all water carry, so the tee couldn't be moved too far forward) if the hole was hard, etc.  They seemed content with the answers from the golf course architect, but I suspect we were their second call as an independent backup source of info.  As far as I know, that is the most they investigated, confirming the story's phrase of "light investigation."
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 03:30:48 PM »
I've insured well over 300 of these and gave the car away ten times. The investigation  is easy, don't cheat and you get paid.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back