News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 06:23:39 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Karl Jensen

Re: The 8th at Pebble Beach under the knife
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 07:45:25 PM »
I played Pebble in the early 1990s with my brother. It was an intimidating second shot to the 8th green over the deep cove, especially me being dumb enough to walk forward to the cliff edge before the shot. Hit my second into the front right greenside bunker, splashed out and two putted. The caddie for the couple who we paired with was a California State Amateur Champion. I don't remember his name. Here is a pix of my tee shot on 17. It wasn't as good as Nicklaus' one iron shot.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 08:36:53 PM »
Karl,

We need to play golf.

Thanks.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 08:56:22 PM »
I'd be pretty unhappy to pay $550 or whatever they're charging now and have to play to a temporary green.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 09:22:10 PM »
Karl Jensen -

Sounds like the caddie in your group at Pebble was Casey Boyns, one of the most decorated amateur golfers in Northern California over the past 40 years.. He won the Cal State Am twice and was 4 times NCGA Player of the Year.

https://goldenstate.is/longtime-caddie-casey-boyns-encapsulates-the-legendary-appeal-of-pebble-beach

https://www.amateurgolf.com/Players/20147/Casey-Boyns

I recall he qualified for the US Senior Open a couple of years ago.

DT
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 09:25:47 PM by David_Tepper »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 12:33:59 AM »
Oh no, no, no no. Blasphemy.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 07:20:15 AM »
I'd be pretty unhappy to pay $550 or whatever they're charging now and have to play to a temporary green.

Correct since I’ve waited to hit that shot my whole golfing life and finally have a mid-July tee time. I’ll be livid if I don’t get to try that shot.

Karl Jensen

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 07:55:52 AM »
Karl Jensen -

Sounds like the caddie in your group at Pebble was Casey Boyns, one of the most decorated amateur golfers in Northern California over the past 40 years.. He won the Cal State Am twice and was 4 times NCGA Player of the Year.

https://goldenstate.is/longtime-caddie-casey-boyns-encapsulates-the-legendary-appeal-of-pebble-beach

https://www.amateurgolf.com/Players/20147/Casey-Boyns

I recall he qualified for the US Senior Open a couple of years ago.

DT

Thanks David,

That's him. I remembered last night that his first name was Casey before reading your message. My brother, who lives in San Jose, told me at the time who he was. I don't remember Casey giving us any course advice nor did we ask. After all he was the other couple's caddie. I think we paid $150 a piece greens fee. My brother knew someone who knew someone that got us a discount. The weather was beautiful, the seaside views wonderful but to tell you the truth I had played on better maintained courses while vacationing at Myrtle Beach, SC. Did I just commit blasphemy?  ::)

Karl

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2022, 08:25:45 AM »
"to tell you the truth I had played on better maintained courses while vacationing at Myrtle Beach, SC. Did I just commit blasphemy?  ::) "
Karl
You did Karl. But no worries, you're still welcome in MB. ;)
On a serious note, did anyone here know of this current renovation beforehand? If not, it outshines the Baltimore Colts "midnight run."

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2022, 10:43:27 AM »

Correct since I’ve waited to hit that shot my whole golfing life and finally have a mid-July tee time. I’ll be livid if I don’t get to try that shot.

Temp green it is..

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2022, 10:45:09 AM »
As I recall this is the smallest green on the course.  Given the shot required and the lush turf surrounding the green,  expansion is reasonable.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2022, 11:04:45 AM »
As I recall this is the smallest green on the course.  Given the shot required and the lush turf surrounding the green,  expansion is reasonable.

Mike

Mike,

I measured all the greens last year with the Google Earth Tool.  I have it coming in as 3rd smallest behind 11 and 4 at just under 2500 sq feet.  But certainly agree given its tiny size, combined with alot of that area being unpinnable, it does seem reasonable given green speeds aren't gonna revert.

MCirba

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2022, 01:33:04 PM »
Did I read that correctly that they are moving the green?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2022, 02:59:49 PM »
Mike
Mike,
I measured all the greens last year with the Google Earth Tool.  I have it coming in as 3rd smallest behind 11 and 4 at just under 2500 sq feet.  But certainly agree given its tiny size, combined with alot of that area being unpinnable, it does seem reasonable given green speeds aren't gonna revert.
This reminds me of a topic that I thought would've been discussed more intensely here, i.e. the USGA's new "anchor site" championship hosting model, for its men's and women's Opens stretching out well into the future. As the article notes, Oakmont and Pinehurst No. 2 join Pebble as the current anchor sites, hosting several US Opens each in the years ahead. (I say 'current' because I don't know if other courses will sooner/later join the 'rota', or if the USGA has announced any plans in this regard.) It seems to me a very interesting development, with many aspects/implications -- corporate, financial, and I suppose architectural too. With whatever many and varied benefits the anchor sites accrue from that designation, might the 'costs' include their almost-automatic deferring to the USGA re: decisions just like this one?

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2022, 03:55:28 PM »
Mike
Mike,
This reminds me of a topic that I thought would've been discussed more intensely here, i.e. the USGA's new "anchor site" championship hosting model, for its men's and women's Opens stretching out well into the future. As the article notes, Oakmont and Pinehurst No. 2 join Pebble as the current anchor sites, hosting several US Opens each in the years ahead. (I say 'current' because I don't know if other courses will sooner/later join the 'rota', or if the USGA has announced any plans in this regard.) It seems to me a very interesting development, with many aspects/implications -- corporate, financial, and I suppose architectural too. With whatever many and varied benefits the anchor sites accrue from that designation, might the 'costs' include their almost-automatic deferring to the USGA re: decisions just like this one?

Peter-Although I believe there will be some deference by the “anchors” the USGA could expect more pushback from Oakmont than either Pinehurst or Pebble just based on the private versus public/resort model. Time will tell.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2022, 11:05:21 PM »
Tim Martin,

I don’t recall Oakmont pushing back on changes made for previous Opens.
Tim Weiman

Tim Martin

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2022, 12:40:23 PM »
Tim Martin,

I don’t recall Oakmont pushing back on changes made for previous Opens.

Tim-I can’t argue with that but will reserve judgement going forward. The “anchor” designation was absent from prior championships so not sure how much additional sway comes with it for the USGA.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2022, 01:10:14 PM »
More photos

https://twitter.com/GlorifiedDonkey/status/1522291638453776384

So would you still pay full price with a temp green on no. 8?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2022, 01:16:52 PM »
More photos

https://twitter.com/GlorifiedDonkey/status/1522291638453776384

So would you still pay full price with a temp green on no. 8?

Those are actually the same pics in the original article.

But the comments on that Twitter page are hilarious!  ;D

I like this one the best:  Good thing Augusta National never changed,
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 01:25:25 PM by Kalen Braley »

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 10:27:54 AM »
Two things about this - a bigger deal than the new vs old green.

1.) After a layup for many, this will make a longer second shot from atop the cliff down to the green. The hole is gorgeous but a little awkward, and it feels like it will get more awkward, and;

2.) The walk back from the 8th green to the 9th tee will further disrupt the flow of the place.

Would they have been better off to replace the green in-place and play to a temp green for a little bit?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »
I don't know, Steve. It's a long way to the end of 8 fairway, even from the resort tees. The handful of guys who truly need to lay up are also the handful of guys whose power might warrant a slightly lengthened approach. That approach would have been played with hickory shafts fairly often in the early days of the hole. So the notion that a good player might need as much as 3w-7i to get there in two shots these days doesn't seem oppressive to me.

It also doesn't look, from the pics posted, like this will substantially lengthen the approach (if at all). That temporary green looks to be nestled between the two bunkers that normally guard the fairway runup to the green, and the two pits behind the under-construction green, I would assume, are in roughly the same location as the two bunkers behind the green for the last few decades. It's unclear to me that the approach is being lengthened much at all, based on what we know so far from these photos.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 10:57:18 AM »
If you read the comments from GlorifiedDonkey on that twitter post...

He's a caddy at Pebble and maintains the green will basically be in the same spot but made a bit bigger in the rear to accommodate more pin positions.  I think the arrows in the Golf Magazine pic are a bit misleading.

Pat Burke

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 04:25:41 PM »
Personally, I am a PB fan

But with all the holes that I feel like could use work, it seems insane to mess with 8.

I played multiple tournaments as an Am and a pro at Pebble including a US Open.

It is unique, scary and yes, severe, but I never felt like it needed to be “updated” for those events.

I like #5 [size=78%]And am ok with 14 but this one makes me nervous [/size]

Jim Hoak

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 08:04:40 PM »
The green is not being moved, only enlarged.  There were not enough hole locations on the old green.
This is consistent with the modifications to the #14 and #17 greens--and recently #11.  There hasn't been much pushback on those changes, although some people think some of the teeth were taken out of #11.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back