News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:58:11 PM by Carl Johnson »

John Kavanaugh

Re: Sergio can't wait to get out of here
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 12:46:47 PM »
Looks like that book about Phil will be the end of the Tour so many of you hold so dear.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 01:18:22 PM »
but I will not be sorry to see him go.

Very strange statement.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 01:22:49 PM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 01:34:28 PM »
Back in February, I had assumed the LIV tour was dead...but not anymore.

If they're willing to incur some heavy losses this first year with massive paydays to relatively weak fields (compared to PGA events), I think next year you could see a lot more top tier guys jump... and then its on.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 01:52:38 PM »
but I will not be sorry to see him go.

Very strange statement.

The guy is a petulant cup-spitter and course defiler with a history or making racist comments.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 02:51:03 PM »
The guy is a petulant cup-spitter and course defiler with a history or making racist comments.

And?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »
Not to excuse Sergio's behavior, but the change from five to three minutes maximum for a ball search was a bad one.  Ideally, the player would convey to his playing partners or caddies when the search begins and his caddie would start a stopwatch running.  In my eight years or so officiating, I've never seen this done.  It is a rule that I think is seldom enforced strictly simply because officials often get to the area after the search has begun and the players don't register the time.

If Sergio leaves over stuff like this, my attitude is that he shouldn't let the door smack him in the ass.  There are many waiting in line to take his place, a few who may end up being better, more congenial players.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 04:11:33 PM »

And?

I think Carl's statement was based on Sergio saying he couldn't wait to leave the PGA tour after the ruling -- mine as well.  Should be a perfect fit for the LIV Golf brand.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 05:41:00 PM »
Whatever happened to that carefree kid bouncing down the fairway that miracle shot at the '99 PGA.....
He's still a child, but petulant isn't cute anymore.

Regardless of whether he was "right" about the ruling, which probably cost him zero shots, his behavior and comments were simply unacceptable, as if though he has been horribly mistreated by PGA Tour officials en route to collecting well north of 50 million in career earnings, while being allowed to moonlight on another tour for many more millions.

You'd think someone would give him a little advice about biting the hand that fed him, that is before someone chops his off.
-I mean surely destroying a bunker is theft of service? ;) :o

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 06:02:05 PM »
 8)  I'm thinking there may be a rude awakening when Sergio finds out that there'll be officials at the LIV events too... 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bruce Katona

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 06:16:19 PM »
Sergio acted poorly.....yep & lets pile on

The Referee blew the call.........no reparations?

I certainly can recall many a "guru' who called in an infraction and the player was penalized after the fact......no way to give Sergio his shot back.

Seems reasonable ?  Not

Craig Sweet

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
Good riddance to Phil and Sergio!   Just wait until the Saudi's butcher another journalist. It'll be good bye LIV Tour and all the grifters that play on it.
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 09:01:56 PM »

If they're willing to incur some heavy losses this first year with massive paydays to relatively weak fields (compared to PGA events), I think next year you could see a lot more top tier guys jump... and then its on.

I just don't see much of a market for their events, regardless of who is playing in them (unless Tiger was there, of course, since people will watch him do anything).

They're small team based tournaments (12 four man teams with no cut) where everyone is getting paid just for showing up. It feels like they're going to be glorified charity events where no one playing really cares all that much about how well they play.

Hard for me to imagine them drawing any more attention than a random Tour event, and that's just not enough to keep the money train going long-term.

Steve Lang

8)  Edward,

I wouldn't underestimate all the free digital marketing that will occur around the LIV Tour, no matter who plays... consider golf.com, golf monthly, gulfweed, GolfWRX, golfXYZ, and how many golf bloggers and youtubers's podcasts having to cover what's going on and bringing you all the latest breaking inside news and unending permutations of clickbait for social media consumption and how many authors will try to latch themselves to the LIV Tour to be the "documentor" or authority for a potential lifetime... let alone the folks reporting on the legal challenges most certainly to occur with our favorite independent contractors...

Should be interesting. ;D
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2022, 03:18:18 AM »
Hey, the Tour is inviting this sort petulance, which was extremely mild and not newsworthy in the least, by scheduling events like the garbage throwing shit show in the desert. Grow the game, right? Garcia has been a major draw for the Tour for about 20 years now. Get over it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2022, 04:55:10 AM »
What about World Ranking points?
World Ranking point events and positions have impacts on players getting into Majors etc and WR positions have implications for publicity and advertisements and endorsements and all that kind of stuff that leads to more £$ in players (and agents etc) wallets.
Atb

Kalen Braley

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2022, 10:55:11 AM »

I just don't see much of a market for their events, regardless of who is playing in them (unless Tiger was there, of course, since people will watch him do anything).

They're small team based tournaments (12 four man teams with no cut) where everyone is getting paid just for showing up. It feels like they're going to be glorified charity events where no one playing really cares all that much about how well they play.

Hard for me to imagine them drawing any more attention than a random Tour event, and that's just not enough to keep the money train going long-term.

Ed,

Pro sports has always been a delicate balance between ownership providing the venue and salary and players playing the game...but at the end of the day I've gotta believe its the players who putt butts in seats and drive people to tune in.

If the best players moved to this new Tour, pretty sure the fans, sponsors, tv, etc. will all follow.  The only thing left to debate is how many it will take to achieve critical mass.

P.S.  This season is most of the way done, and the 10th ranked guy on the PGA tour money list has ONLY made $3.5 million in 20 events.  You don't think its going to attract top notch players if they offer a $25 million + signing bonus, plus earning double that in half the amount of events?  When it comes to money, almost no one is immune to making a shit ton more of it...

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2022, 01:17:38 PM »

Ed,

Pro sports has always been a delicate balance between ownership providing the venue and salary and players playing the game...but at the end of the day I've gotta believe its the players who putt butts in seats and drive people to tune in.

If the best players moved to this new Tour, pretty sure the fans, sponsors, tv, etc. will all follow.  The only thing left to debate is how many it will take to achieve critical mass.

P.S.  This season is most of the way done, and the 10th ranked guy on the PGA tour money list has ONLY made $3.5 million in 20 events.  You don't think its going to attract top notch players if they offer a $25 million + signing bonus, plus earning double that in half the amount of events?  When it comes to money, almost no one is immune to making a shit ton more of it...

The money will absolutely attract players, but I don't think the events themselves are going to be that interesting for fans. The majors are the biggest draws each year because they're the majors -- when guys like Jon Rahm etc. show up for smaller events, their ratings don't really get any noticeable increase. I think Tiger was the only person who provided that kind of ratings bump.

Combine that with the fact that the actual events are probably going to be relatively uninteresting (the format doesn't sound nearly as interesting as a standard tournament with cuts, but that's all subjective) with very little pressure, and I don't see them significantly  outperforming regular Tour events, which means that kind of money won't be available for more than a few years. The investors aren't going to just throw money away indefinitely without seeing a return, and I think it will be incredibly hard for them to turn a profit with that much money going out for every event.

I just can't imagine the tour/series/whatever you want to call it can survive if they're getting the same kind of engagement as the John Deere Open. I don't think it could survive even if they were at the level of something like the Memorial (i.e. one of the biggest non-majors).

Who knows, though? We'll find out soon enough!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 09:18:41 PM by Edward Glidewell »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2022, 06:14:07 PM »
I’m still looking for the architectural tie-in here…..
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Paul Jones

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 10:10:51 AM »
I have always enjoyed Sergio's interviews as he always spoke his mind and he knew at times there would be a backlash ...compared to others that always have "canned" answers.  Sergio has always been himself, warts, and all and therefore I still pull for him.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Carl Johnson

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2022, 12:57:10 PM »
I’m still looking for the architectural tie-in here…..

Joe, you are right, there is absolutely no tie in.  I should have prefaced with an OT.  But I guess you've participated on this site long enough to realize that there are lots of posts with no architectural tie in.

Tim Martin

Re: O.T. - Sergio can't wait to get out of here
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
It’s funny that he directed his angst toward the rules officials who as a group would most likely be thrilled if he were gone.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 01:39:09 PM by Tim Martin »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 02:52:41 AM »
I am really failing to find a reason why I should care about the PGA Tour.

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 04:38:15 AM »
I am really failing to find a reason why I should care about the PGA Tour.

It wouldn't matter to me if the PGA Tour folded today. Pro golf needs serious chaos to change the stale thinking. I am thankful there is relatively little chat about tour golf on this board.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back