News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Tampa/Bradenton, FL
« on: January 25, 2023, 03:35:47 PM »
Question for the group...

Looking like I'll be in the general Tampa area in early March. Was planning on taking a couple of clients out for a round someplace.

I'm a year too early otherwise I'd be at the new World Woods/Citrus Farms!

Any recommendations?

H.P.S.

Wayne_Kozun

Re: Tampa/Bradenton, FL
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 06:12:48 PM »
I have played TPC Tampa and both courses at Lake Jovita.  They are all pretty good, maybe Doak 4s.  Lake Jovita has more elevation changes than you typically get in Florida, but it is a bit north of Tampa.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 05:59:08 AM »
Conditions are likely so-so but it has the best bunkerless 650 yard Par 5 I've ever seen.

Diamond Hill in Dover, FL.

TRUST ME. DO IT.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 08:04:21 AM »
Pat - this topic has been covered here before...p-)

No World Woods, then Innisbrook.

No Innisbrook, then just make the drive to Streamsong.

Can you access Old Memorial?

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 09:20:19 AM »
I think you have to stay at Innisbrook to get a tee time.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 12:54:52 PM »
Pat - this topic has been covered here before...p-)

No World Woods, then Innisbrook.

No Innisbrook, then just make the drive to Streamsong.

Can you access Old Memorial?

I know! But things change so I thought I would ask.

Streamsong would be great but not sure about a 3 hour round trip drive if you just wanted to play one round with clients?

I wasn't sure if there was a good option closer into town that I was overlooking.

Not sure about Old Memorial or if it would be amenable to unaccompanied play but perhaps that's a good option.
H.P.S.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 02:04:32 PM »
In general, Florida "public access" golf is crap.
For a state that large, there just isnt much fantastic golf as it is 95% reliant around housing developments.

Go to Top Golf then Mons Venus for a better time...;-)

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 02:56:37 PM »
I have played TPC Tampa and both courses at Lake Jovita.  They are all pretty good, maybe Doak 4s.  Lake Jovita has more elevation changes than you typically get in Florida, but it is a bit north of Tampa.

Links to Lake Jovita course photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157643041932953 - Lake Jovita South Course

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157643104557083 - Lake Jovita North Course

John_Cullum

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 05:26:25 PM »
Try to get on Avila. Avila has plenty of members with business connections that you could likely find in an available network
Raynor was a hack

V_Halyard

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 06:32:24 PM »
Per my recent post, Belleair is worth your visit.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

SPDB

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 10:46:20 AM »
I think this depends on whether you're in Tampa or Bradenton. If you can access, Belleaire if you're in Tampa and Sara Bay if you're in Bradenton.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2023, 11:57:19 AM »
I enjoyed Brandon Johnson's then new course at Lakewood National when I saw it in 2017. It's a real estate development, though there weren't any houses when I saw it, but it was still interesting. There's a second course there now, also by Brandon.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ted Sturges

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2023, 02:54:54 PM »
Pat,

I would also consider Dunedin Golf Club in Dunedin  (15 miles north of St. Pete).  It is an old Ross that for many years was the home to the PGA of America.  Literally all of golf's greats have played there at some point in time.  I'm always hopeful that someone will come along and restore it, but the Ross bones are there.  It is a fun experience.

TS

Rob Marshall

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2023, 03:38:30 PM »
Pat,

I would also consider Dunedin Golf Club in Dunedin  (15 miles north of St. Pete).  It is an old Ross that for many years was the home to the PGA of America.  Literally all of golf's greats have played there at some point in time.  I'm always hopeful that someone will come along and restore it, but the Ross bones are there.  It is a fun experience.

TS

I agree but boy was it in awful shape in October. A lot of weeds in the greens. First 4 holes make for a tough start.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 03:44:09 PM »
I enjoyed Brandon Johnson's then new course at Lakewood National when I saw it in 2017. It's a real estate development, though there weren't any houses when I saw it, but it was still interesting. There's a second course there now, also by Brandon.

I  think Lakewood National recently went private and may no longer accept non-member play

Brian Ross

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2023, 03:59:20 PM »
Pat,

TS

You may get your wish. I believe Kris Spence is planning to do some work at Dunedin next year.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:33:45 PM by Brian Ross »
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Rob Marshall

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2023, 05:04:18 PM »
Pat,

TS

You may get your wish. I believe Kris Spence is planning to do some work at Dunedin next year.

I thought thought it was a done deal
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Connor Lewis

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2023, 06:37:30 PM »
Tampa is a bit of a golf desert I am afraid. If the timing works I can host you at Belleair CC. I believe Dunedin goes under the knife in February of this year. I am going to document some of that restorative effort by Kris Spence.

I am hypercritical of the golf in the area- one spot worthy of seeing that would make a great future restoration is Temple Terrace. The story of the design of TT is pretty cool. I often say that it could be the Winter Park 9 of Tampa with 18 holes and 2-3 times the width. It’s a Tom Bendelow and IMHO one of his better designs. It’s first head pro was Long Jim Barnes and was a frequent haunt of Walter Hagen, Babe Ruth, Gene Sarazen and the like. I haven’t played it this year but just to see the bones is worth it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back