News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Emerson

Re: Lorne Rubenstein on Hickory Golf
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 11:16:51 PM »
LR has a way with words that few others posses and as good of command of the written word as any sports writer in history.
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 09:38:59 AM »
I have two sets of hickories but am reticent to use them. I fear they might break.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »
I have two sets of hickories but am reticent to use them. I fear they might break.
I had that same fear for quite some time. When I first started playing I was paranoid of breaking a shaft due to a hard range ball or a mat. Now I know better.
Yes, over my 12 years of hickory play I've broken a few shafts, but much less than one might expect. The key is ensuring the club is properly prepped before play. This would include evaluating and potentially refinishing every shaft before play, and  removing and re-gluing every head. An old and brittle shaft will break eventually, but often a shaft that looks bad just needs a light sanding and a new coat of shellac to gain a new life.

A good hickory shaft is just as strong as graphite and can hold up to quite a bit of abuse, you just have to be willing to let the club do what it was designed to do.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 11:36:18 AM »
The product placement in the article is exhaustive. Seriously though, I find it difficult to believe that a man who represents all we hold dear hasn’t played hickories in 35 years. I can only hope that all the other aspiring influencers and journalists expounding their expertise don’t make the same mistake.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »
Many thanks for bringing our attention to the article David. :) Lorne does write wonderfully.

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back