News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

a shot irrevocably lost
« on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »
Henry Fownes purportedly growled, “Let the clumsy, the spineless, the alibi artist stand aside. A shot poorly played, should be a shot irrevocably lost.”
On the other hand Ben Hogan said, "Golf is not a game of good shots. It's a game of bad shots.”   

I used to like what Fownes said. Hit a bad shot and pay a stern penalty. Take your bogey like a man and move on. I've changed my mind. I hit to many bad shots. I can't remember the exact retort to Fownes but it goes something like this, "only the almighty should inflict eternal punishment."

I enjoy recovery shots. I played a number of renovated courses in the past few years. The philosophy seems to have changed. Fewer bad shots are punishable by death anymore. Congressional is more playable for the masses as is Oakland Hills. Golf is a game of recovery. I think that's what makes it fun .
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 02:24:06 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

MCirba

Re: a shot irrevocably lost
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 11:07:27 AM »
Yet Oakmont has no water hazards, tightly wooded areas, and/or many places one might need to take a drop.

I think Fownes was particularly distasteful of the careless unthinking boastful golfer who thinks they are better than they are.  He just over-dramatized the point.  ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 11:45:14 AM »
Yet Oakmont has no water hazards, tightly wooded areas, and/or many places one might need to take a drop.

I think Fownes was particularly distasteful of the careless unthinking boastful golfer who thinks they are better than they are.  He just over-dramatized the point.  ;)

It did have deep furrowed bunkers on the other hand.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 12:00:42 PM »
Mike,

I thought the ditches were quite the hazard the last time they played the US Open there.  And it seems like after a rain they would indeed be water hazards requiring drops and such.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 12:30:01 PM »
Plus, if we want thrills and challenges and emotions in our golf, what might be or might've been is more interesting and offers more than what is or what once was.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 02:36:47 PM »
Is there not an argument that the degree of badness in a shot is related not just to physical skill or lack of skill but also to temptation, ego and the use of the 15th club, ie the 5.5” between the ears?

Atb

Mark Mammel

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 09:02:06 PM »
Henry Fownes purportedly growled, “Let the clumsy, the spineless, the alibi artist stand aside. A shot poorly played, should be a shot irrevocably lost.”
On the other hand Ben Hogan said, "Golf is not a game of good shots. It's a game of bad shots.”   

I used to like what Fownes said. Hit a bad shot and pay a stern penalty. Take your bogey like a man and move on. I've changed my mind. I hit to many bad shots. I can't remember the exact retort to Fownes but it goes something like this, "only the almighty should inflict eternal punishment."

I enjoy recovery shots. I played a number of renovated courses in the past few years. The philosophy seems to have changed. Fewer bad shots are punishable by death anymore. Congressional is more playable for the masses as is Oakland Hills. Golf is a game of recovery. I think that's what makes it fun .
The "eternal damnation" quote is credited to Bernard Darwin after a round at Pine Valley:
Bernard Darwin, the venerable golf correspondent for the London Times and a fine player himself, once took a 16 on the short eighth, walked off the course, and pronounced, “It’s all very well to punish a bad shot, but the right of eternal damnation ought to be reserved for a higher tribunal than the greens committee.”
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 09:08:11 PM »
Are we really revisiting the merits of penal vs. strategic architecture? 

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 11:21:06 AM »
 8)  Penal v. strategic v. fun...

what brings the masses to the latter and what unfinished business brings them back for more?

edit:  wait, do the masses really play at Congressional or Oakland Hills?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 11:23:55 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 12:24:32 PM »
8)  Penal v. strategic v. fun...

what brings the masses to the latter and what unfinished business brings them back for more?

edit:  wait, do the masses really play at Congressional or Oakland Hills?

Probably not. But I love them in their new iteration. Not so much before.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:04:15 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 09:37:23 PM »
I love recovery opportunities
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 11:16:11 AM »
Are we really revisiting the merits of penal vs. strategic architecture?

I wasn't necessarily thinking of that discussion. I am thinking more along the lines of recovery shots. How easy/difficult should they be.
St. John of the Cross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back