News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim O’Kane

Mill Road Farm in NW Chicago...long gone...info anyone?
« on: April 24, 2022, 12:25:28 PM »
After becoming initiated and interested in Golf Course Architecture about 5 years ago (...too late in my 55 year old life!), I have become fascinated by the story of this once heralded place in the NW suburbs of Chicago. I was born and raised not far from there.

I had never learned of this course until a few years ago and it has fascinated me ever since. Built as the personal course for a successful Advertising mogul from Chicago, this William Flynn course seemingly provided a stout task for the best amateurs and pros alike, where a standing bet from the owner, Albert Lasker, of $500 to break par was only achieved by Tommy Armour in 1934.

The course is no more and long gone, as the descendants of the Laskers sold off bits and pieces of the property over time. I remember finding an article about a course at Northwestern University where a professor took students out and around the property (which were now subdivisions) where they were able to identify mounds and other land features that were part of the original course. I couldn't find that article, but do have this one bookmarked  (link below) which I've read probably 30 times because I find it so interesting in addition to the wonderful old aerials of the course. I especially like the picture of the grounds person sweeping the morning dew off the greens with a massive bamboo pole. Wow. Modern technology sure has changed things.

I wonder if maybe some of you who are so much more well versed than I as a beginning student of architecture, would know more about this old place that I could learn from????

It makes me want to look more into William Flynn's work, of which I am not entirely familiar with as others such as MacDonald, MacKenzie and Tillinghast.

I wonder if anyone finds it as interesting as I do?

I wish it was still around.

https://lflb.passitdown.com/stories/41935

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Mill Road Farm in NW Chicago...long gone...info anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 03:13:49 PM »
If you Google:  mill road lasker golf

You will get a hefty number of articles on point!
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SL_Solow

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 04:07:29 PM »
Jim,  just a note.  Mill Road was in Lake Forest, a NE suburb abutting Lake Michigan.  You can deive by the location but, alas, no remnants

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SL_Solow

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 09:07:50 PM »
If you want to talk to the "Dr." on Chicago golf history, contact our friend Tim Cronin who posts here.  Dan Moore is a close second.

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 11:08:55 PM »
If you want to talk to the "Dr." on Chicago golf history, contact our friend Tim Cronin who posts here.  Dan Moore is a close second.

I don't really know anyone on here. In fact, no one, at all. I just stumbled upon this site as I became interested in Architecture, albeit 5 or 6 years after I had gotten into it on my own, very late in life.

I would be hesitant about bothering anyone with my new inquiries that might be archaic to others. Although, having grown up just outside of Chicago, and that's an area of course architecture that always catches my attention, I would be grateful to talk to some folks who are knowledgeable about the area and its courses.

Do you think they might be receptive to a green student as myself, with perhaps, elementary questions? Maybe best for me to just leave this here.

I would love to though. Just don't want to be "that new guy"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 11:35:13 PM by Jim O’Kane »

Dave Esler

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 11:17:01 PM »
Jim,
I won't spoil it for you, but my friend Pete Flory, who lives not too far from the former Lasker Estate posts here with some frequency and I'm sure will share his "build" with you. 

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 11:31:37 PM »
Jim,

Here are 2 articles to get you started:

https://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=21454.0

https://better.net/chicago/arts-events/explore/a-golf-storied-estate/

Whoa! What is this? Some computer animated thing of what it would look like in today's eyes? It's beautiful. And that guy posted all his work till the date in 2018 where he seems to have stopped.

Man oh man that is something. Thank you Steve.

And holy smokes, in your second link, the property was for sale in 2009?

I never have been able to understand any insight as to just when the golf course started to "disappear" -- or, with the long standing reputation of Chicago golf, with the WGA, and many "Golden Age" courses built around there, that someone didn't step in to keep that course around?

I don't understand that. 

I know all the answers why. It's the same today as it was then. There was more money in going another direction with the land.

Gosh, maybe the right person , like some folks with the mentality of folks here, could have got together back in the day and purchased it and said hey...let's bring this place back.

I shake my head and look at my shoes in disbelief I guess -- I find this place amazing, like the Lido Club, but probably not as architecturally proficient or historically mythical. I don't know. I'm still learning.

Thanks for these links sir. I enjoyed them immensely.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 04:20:13 AM by Jim O’Kane »

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 11:42:07 PM »
Jim,
I won't spoil it for you, but my friend Pete Flory, who lives not too far from the former Lasker Estate posts here with some frequency and I'm sure will share his "build" with you.

Thank you Dave! I will keep an eye out to see if he posts some thoughts. I would love to know more. 

I grew up in Arlington Heights and played many a CDGA and NIMAGA tournaments as a kid around the Chicago land area from 78-84. I would love to know more about this place. I wish it was still around. It sounds more mysterious than any other course I know...and certainly would have the legacy of Chicago GC & Shoreacres, and others in Chicago had it stuck around...I think, maybe.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 04:14:07 AM by Jim O’Kane »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 09:45:08 AM »
Jim,
   Welcome to the Treehouse.
   The short story on Mill Road Farm: Lasker started it because he was a member of another club and found it too crowded. When you're a tycoon, you can do that. It was his backyard estate course (think Rich Harvest Farms today). It opened in 1927, invitation of Lasker only. Every guest got a card with No. 1 on it. Mill Road Farm had the highest course rating in the CDGA, ahead of Medinah No. 3, while it existed.
   Armour was the first to break par but not the only. Head pro Dick Metz – Lasker's private teacher – scored 7-under 65 on July 2, 1936.
   In 1940, Lasker moved to New York and donated the estate, golf course and all, to the University of Chicago, of which he was a trustee. The U of C ran it for a short time, during which the Western Junior, the only outside tournament played there, was held. With the war looming and the Depression still a factor, the university closed Mill Road Farm. It was sold to developers in 1946 and turned into a subdivision.
   Many of the original buildings still stand, including Lasker's home, which had been split into apartments and now is a single-family home again.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 01:01:13 PM »
Jim,
   The short story on Mill Road Farm: Lasker started it because he was a member of another club and found it too crowded. When you're a tycoon, you can do that. It was his backyard estate course (think Rich Harvest Farms today). It opened in 1927, invitation of Lasker only. Every guest got a card with No. 1 on it. Mill Road Farm had the highest course rating in the CDGA, ahead of Medinah No. 3, while it existed.
   Armour was the first to break par but not the only. Head pro Dick Metz – Lasker's private teacher – scored 7-under 65 on July 2, 1936.
   In 1940, Lasker moved to New York and donated the estate, golf course and all, to the University of Chicago, of which he was a trustee. The U of C ran it for a short time, during which the Western Junior, the only outside tournament played there, was held. With the war looming and the Depression still a factor, the university closed Mill Road Farm. It was sold to developers in 1946 and turned into a subdivision.
   Many of the original buildings still stand, including Lasker's home, which had been split into apartments and now is a single-family home again.

Wow.

Tim, thank you so much for this info. Never knew the course ended up in the hands of the U of C. My brother went there. Never knew it held a Western Amateur, either. Very cool. Dick Metz cards a 65 there, whoa incredible round.

Thank you so much for these tidbits. I really appreciate it. Next time I'm back in my hometown, I've got to drive over and visit the area and do some scouting around.

Thank you Tim!

Peter Flory

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 06:01:13 PM »
Jim, you might be interested in reading The Man Who Sold America for the life story of Lasker.  The book only briefly touches on MRF, but he had an amazing life and it puts the course into perspective. 

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 08:02:47 PM »
Jim,

Wow.

Tim, thank you so much for this info. Never knew the course ended up in the hands of the U of C. My brother went there. Never knew it held a Western Amateur, either. Very cool. Dick Metz cards a 65 there, whoa incredible round.

Thank you so much for these tidbits. I really appreciate it. Next time I'm back in my hometown, I've got to drive over and visit the area and do some scouting around.

Thank you Tim!

Jim, thank you. And thanks to Shel touting me earlier. He should know better!

I wrote a story on MRF a few years ago for Chicago District Golfer magazine. If I can find it, I'll grab some of the other nuggets from it.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back