News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Pasatiempo To Rebuild Greens?
« on: April 22, 2022, 05:02:13 PM »
A recent Fried Egg podcast discusses, among other things about Pasatiempo, an announcement that all the greens on the course will be rebuilt, with Jim Urbina doing the work.

https://thefriedegg.com/fried-egg-podcast/pasatiempo-is-so-so-good/

Kevin_Reilly

Re: Pasatiempo To Rebuild Greens?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 10:10:03 AM »
Work on the front nine begins next year.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 10:50:09 AM »
I think very highly of Jim Urbina and his approach in being respectful of classical values while moving the ball forward to the present.  Pasatiempo is not among my favorite MacK courses primarily because the green complexes don't work well with modern speeds, IMO.  Course knowledge is at a premium here- I once played with the then head pro and he made six birdies on the front nine while I struggled to 18 putts.  I remember the King Putter crowd gathering on the 18th delighting in watching their fellows three and four putting to a front-right hole location (I missed my second putt, an 18 incher to win my match from just left and above the hole; fortunately, my opponent was an exceedingly good sport and conceded my two-footer coming back for a tie, otherwise the four-putt green would have caused quite a commotion).  It's been a long while, and this new work will likely encourage a return visit.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 12:41:43 PM »
Called it. Bout time.

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »
Having just watched the recording of the intercollegiate event there, I had to wonder whatinhell made people so fond of the place. I love greens and green complexes that give players migraine headaches, but some of those greens =were almost unplayable, even for that level of talent.

Where I play people routinely bitch "unfair" greens...and our most unreasonable green wouldn't seem crazy at Pasatiempo.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
Was Urbina part of the team that just finished the most recent renovation?

Jim Hoak

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 06:46:58 PM »
I love Pasatiempo--one of my favorite courses.  15 very good holes--I'd x-out/redo 6, 7 and 8--but the others are great.
But I do agree that the greens need some work.  My experience is that they are susceptible to the "macho green speed" syndrome, where they sometimes believe that they need absurdly fast greens to show how manly they are.  At times this can make the greens almost unplayable.  Moderating the rolls a bit maybe--and slowing the greens down a bit--will make a great course even greater.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 07:15:39 PM »
After listening to TFE podcast I wonder - is removing sand splash and slowing the greens down an option?  I admire the greens at Pasa and hope the slopes are not changed.  Based on everything I've heard from Jim Urbina in the "Feed The Ball" podcast I feel nobody would know better than him.

David Kelly

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 09:39:34 PM »
Having just watched the recording of the intercollegiate event there, I had to wonder whatinhell made people so fond of the place.
Playing it.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Phil Burr

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 10:16:02 PM »
I think the TFE podcast addressed most of the comments in the previous posts, along with the challenges Mr. Urbina faces.

Jim Hoak doesn't like 6-8.  If it's because there are too many trees, I agree with Jim.  Urbina points out that they were all originally designed to share a common fairway, but the trees were planted after someone was killed on #8 green by an errant tee shot.  That's a hard problem to fix!

Lou Duran said, very correctly, that the green complexes don't work, given modern green speeds.  Ken Mourn alludes to the same.  I agree with both of you.  Urbina asks the question as to whether the course can restore the green as originally designed but lower the speeds, or whether the upscale market to which Pasatiempo belongs will shun a course with greens that stimp at <10 because doing so will allow them to place holes as Dr. MacKenzie intended 90 years ago.

Where do you plant your flag?  Personally, I'd prefer Pasatiempo with its existing green contours at slower speeds.  I don't enjoy having play a chip shot in between putts any more than anyone else!

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 11:22:40 PM »
Yes, the trees on 6-8 are atrocious. But I also wonder how all those homes on #6 got placed 5 yards off the edge of the fairway in the first place. Anyway, it would be a shame if they put in some softened version of what Mackenzie built instead of just playing them at 10 instead of 11.

MCirba

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 12:51:25 AM »
Let's keep making them faster and flatter!

When we reach linoleum speed we can make them flatter than Twiggy.. (Bad 60s reference)

::)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ken Moum

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2022, 03:40:23 AM »
Having just watched the recording of the intercollegiate event there, I had to wonder whatinhell made people so fond of the place.
Playing it.

Brevity is the soul of...wisdom?

Given my inclination to think that "unfair" golf courses are fun, I have to accept your logic.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Drew Harvie

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2022, 12:11:31 PM »
What's stopping us from having 0.5% of slope in greens (at most) and having them 19 on the stimp?

Don Baker

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2022, 01:40:21 PM »
I too just recently watched the Western Intercollegiate at Pasatiempo.  It was brutal watching the kids try to negotiate those greens.  It's been awhile since I've played there, maybe a dozen times since 1972, but I don't remember the greens being that severe in the old days.  I would expect the renovation to address some of that.  Hopefully, they will still get to play the Western there again next year.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2022, 05:30:45 PM »
I played Pasa two days before the start of the Western.  The course was dried out (firm) and the greens were rock hard and fast.  I thought it was fun, but for sure there were a few holes where things could go horribly wrong for you on the greens.  The sand build-up around bunker edges is easy to see.

Will be interesting to see how things go on the front nine next year.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Mark_Fine

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2022, 06:04:16 PM »
I have played Pasa many times.  Love the course.  Not so sure about some of the greens however.  Many interesting hole locations are lost because of green speed - some are used anyway :(

I don’t know how much the contours of these greens have changed over the years but I am sure they have.  Regular play, sand splash from bunkers and top dressing/varied maintenance practices change green contours - that is a fact.  But this is the bottomline, old greens like these were never meant for these high green speeds.  WE ALL know this so it shouldn’t be a surprise that something has to change and I doubt we are going back to speeds of 5-6.  Some of those greens even at 8 or 9 are brutal for a very good player let alone the average golfer.  No one likes giving up after four or five putts. 

It will be interesting what is done but I trust it will look and play great (likely much better). 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2022, 07:23:40 PM »
An honest question: if many interesting hole locations have truly been lost because of modern green speeds, which hole locations were the collegians playing to recently?
In other words: maybe as important as the hole locations that have been 'lost' are the many hole locations that are 'left', ie that are still there and still available despite the modern green speeds -- and there must indeed be many of those left for Pasatiempo to be able to host the Western Collegiate, or to have countless daily fee golfers (including those from this board) playing and praising the course so highly.
All of which is to ask again: if tens of thousands of golfers can still happily play the course each and every year, what's wrong with leaving the greens just as they are, since many hole locations obviously remain? Conversely, if some of those hole locations in common use today are actually dull/unsatisfying or problematic despite still being playable at modern speeds, doesn't the problem lie more with the original design than it does with modern green speeds?
Are we simply assuming that Dr. Mac could never go wrong, and that every green on every set of greens his genius ever designed were perfect, ie with 5, 6 and 7 interesting and challenging and playable hole locations, if only they were maintained at the 'appropriate' speed? 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 07:36:05 PM by PPallotta »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2022, 07:43:52 PM »
Peter,
Someone here who was at the tournament and/or knows the course better then I can comment/answer your questions.  No one likes to rebuild an old set of greens especially on an excellent historic golf course.  First tact is always to expand them fully (most shrink over time) to the edges of the filpads.  I am sure Tom did that when the last renovation work was done. Obviously you also try to get the course/club to lower the green speeds but sometimes that recommendation doesn’t go over well.  Next you might try to further expand certain problem greens to gain more usable putting areas/hole locations.  Lastly you might have to modify the most severe offenders.  We just had to do that on two of my projects as a few of the greens had become almost unplayable (it is challenging to maintain greens at different mowing heights even though it sounds like a simple solution). 

I am not sure what will be done at Pasa but all I am saying is that some of those greens are beyond severe and while many of us purists might not want to touch them, they HAVE changed from what they once were and play very differently then Mackenzie ever intended. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 07:01:45 AM by Mark_Fine »

SL_Solow

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2022, 09:28:25 PM »
Lots of good questions here.  Despite living in Chicago, I had several cases in the Bay area plus some conferences so I was lucky enough to play Pasatiempo about 20 times.  I even was on site when Tom Doak was there doing some work with Jim Urbina.  I understand the various criticisms, particularly those relating to the narrowing of holes due to the construction of the practice range and for safety reasons.  I also recognize the severity of the greens as accentuated by modern agronomy and green speeds and I understand the embarrassment of tournament players who fail to cope with those speeds.  I note, parenthetically, that if you leave  approach shots in the correct places the greens, while difficult are manageable. That said, the course is as much fun as almost anyplace that I have played. The routing takes tremendous advantage of a difficult, albeit beautiful, property.  The use of the elevation changes makes 6500 yards a lot to handle.  While it is a difficult walk, the routing explores the property in a very natural way. There are memorable shots on more holes than I have time to describe.  I understand a membership/management's desire to remain relevant and thus I realize the suggestion to lower green speeds is unrealistic.  I have seen Jim Urbina's restoration work and it is impressive including his research and work on my back yard at Bob O' Linc.  I trust that he will do his best to preserve the course but I recognize that none of us on the Board are owners.  I am certain that Jim will be an active voice supporting the integrity of the course in a way that many others might not.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 05:35:01 AM »
When I first read the thread title I assumed that all hell was about to break loose in the same way it did over the changes to 7th/11th green at TOC, but apparently not. I'm a bit surprised I have to admit.

That said, I have played the course once about 5 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. No doubt the green speeds were for normal play but I don't recall the green contours being over the top. The only one that sticks in my mind as being "wild" was the par 3 5th (?) with what seemed at the time to be a horseshoe shaped green, but in looking at the google maps aerial I realise it only appeared like that because of the contours. When I played it the hole was placed front left and my tee-shot landed pin-high on the right on the edge of the green. I ran a 7 iron across the green well above the hole position to watch it turn and trickle down to 2 feet, and then sank the putt. If I'd hit a tee shot to just below the hole and sank the putt for a 2 I doubt I'd have had as much satisfaction and pleasure as I had with that scrambled par. But I'm just a recreational golfer.

For the really good players, and presumably a lot of the guys playing in the Western Intercollegiate have aspirations to turn professional, should they be guaranteed at least a 2 putt if they manage to hit the green ? Shouldn't they have to hit "defensive" putts now and again, and isn't getting your ball into the right location on the green for your putts not one way of separating the wheat from the chaff ? It strikes me that that is what they try to do at Augusta and no-one seems to complain about it there.

Niall

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 05:57:58 AM »
When I first read the thread title I assumed that all hell was about to break loose in the same way it did over the changes to 7th/11th green at TOC, but apparently not. I'm a bit surprised I have to admit.

It did on twitter with the Pasa twitter account & others.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mark_Fine

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2022, 09:01:06 AM »
I didn't listen to the podcast.  What was the driving force to rebuild the greens?  I doubt it was Jim's suggestion.  I also doubt he would take the job if he didn't agree with it.  All (most of us) have walked away from projects we don't agree with.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 09:03:02 AM by Mark_Fine »

Jim Hoak

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 02:36:10 PM »
I criticized holes 6-8, but I hate to focus on that, because I truly love the course and rate it very highly over all.
#6 doesn't appeal to me because of the homes on the left--as has been said.  But I also don't like the green complex there.  It looks manufactured and uninteresting.  #7, my problem is the trees as has also been said.  It looks like a bowling alley.  #8, my issue is the green.  Maybe of all those mentioned for redo--or slowing down--this would be first.  I've played there when the #8 green was like miniature golf, where the ball came back to our feet--and there was no way to stop it anywhere around the hole.
I hope there is a way to soften some of the greens without taking out the wonderfully creative rolls put in when greens were running at 6-8 Stimp readings.  It would be a shame to lose this part of history, but something needs to be done to increase the joy of playing the course.  Maybe slowing the greens to 10-11 would be enough?

Ira Fishman

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2022, 03:09:12 PM »
I have had the privilege of playing Pasatiempo only once but share Jim’s and others’ love for the course. The red flag that went off for me is the Pasa official twitter post that it was time to convert the greens to USGA specs. Restoring them to original size and dealing with sand splash and other build up is one thing, but the USGA reference sounds as if speed might take prominence over contour. As others have noted, that would be a shame. But the point about the project being in the hands of Jim Urbina does offer hope.

Other than being above the hole at 16 (third shot) and 18 (tee shot), I did not find the greens on a normal play day 5 years ago particularly daunting, and I am not a good putter. I agree that 6 is not a very good hole relative to the rest of the course. But I thought the mounding at the green on 7 more than made up for the trees, and I will chalk a positive view about 8 to a good pin placement (and a lucky two putt).

And perhaps because it was such a wonderful day of golf, I did not find it a difficult walk or a overly challenging course for my mediocre game. As has been noted many times before, the routing of the back nine is among the best nines I have played, and 1 through 5 pretty darn good.

Ira

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back