News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Bouncy BAMBURGH CASTLE GC New
« on: July 03, 2022, 07:47:35 AM »
The fetching village of Bamburgh may only have 450 full-time residents, but in admirable English tradition the village supports golf, croquet, cricket and carpet bowls clubs. Bamburgh’s centre stage is the monumental castle which was restored by industrialist Lord Armstrong in 1898...the family still own the castle, but not the title as it was a created peerage whose title became extinct in the male line of succession. Perhaps a mile outside of Bamburgh is the golf club whose name was inspired by the luxurious views of the castle from many of the holes. The club was founded in 1904 by Lord Armstrong (the 2nd Baron and great nephew of the industrialist) as a way to attract tourists to the village. Bamburgh Castle GC has gone through the familiar pattern of ups and downs as the fortunes of war and the economy unerringly dictate. The 4282-yard original course was designed by Alnmouth professional, George Rochester. A second design was developed in 1907 when two new fields were leased, however, the landlord allowed stone blasting in search of minerals. As you can imagine, this wasn’t an overly welcome turn of events for the membership. World War I halted quarrying and a new course was arranged in 1913. It is this course which is largely in play today…and a hilly course it is! Bernard Darwin not only thought Bamburgh Castle was beautiful, but also mountain golf.   

The course unfortunately opens with two par 3s and two par 5s. While not stellar holes, this stretch does offer a few cracking views.

The 5th is a workmanlike hole which sets up the harsh two hole climb. The third par three, #6, is straight up a mountain and without any redeeming features. The 7th is much the same, but there is more interest in the drive and hence the approach.

7 & 14 greens.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 05:15:29 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

Re: Bouncy BAMBURGH CASTLE GC: 1-7
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 07:57:24 AM »
The 1st is definitely a bit "meh" but 2, 3 and 4 are all decent holes.  Not great, sure, perhaps not even very good but I think workmanlike undersells them a little, though I get what you mean.  5, for me, is weaker than those three and 6 is just a bad golf hole.  7 is a bit more interesting, though.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2022, 08:11:24 AM »
Sean,
I'm glad that you're doing a tour of Bamburgh Castle, but your start seems a little harsh. I enjoyed the opening holes more than you did. Agree that the 1st isn't anything special, but the holes that follow are more charming (and interesting) than "workmanlike" implies.

I played Bamburgh Castle with Topp & Muldoon post Buda, and standing left of the 2nd green, I think we all knew we made the right decision to add one more round.

DSC01911 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 4th is a really fun short par 5. It's tempting to try to hit the green, but the tilt of the fairway and dropoff on the right makes this a risky endeavor. Rough on the left makes the safe play much harder.

DSC01921 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

I didn't mind the 6th though it was nearer a par 4 for me. Maybe the reward of climbing the hill blinded me.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 08:23:35 AM »
When a photo-tour thread title starts with the word ‘Bouncy’ my interest is piqued. Love the grass colours in the photos and the ground conditions such colours usually suggest.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 08:40:02 AM »
Sean,
I'm glad that you're doing a tour of Bamburgh Castle, but your start seems a little harsh. I enjoyed the opening holes more than you did. Agree that the 1st isn't anything special, but the holes that follow are more charming (and interesting) than "workmanlike" implies.

I played Bamburgh Castle with Topp & Muldoon post Buda, and standing left of the 2nd green, I think we all knew we made the right decision to add one more round.

DSC01911 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 4th is a really fun short par 5. It's tempting to try to hit the green, but the tilt of the fairway and dropoff on the right makes this a risky endeavor. Rough on the left makes the safe play much harder.

DSC01921 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

I didn't mind the 6th though it was nearer a par 4 for me. Maybe the reward of climbing the hill blinded me.

Yes, the 4th is the best of 1-7. But it was tough to hold the green in three let alone two. Trying to stay in the fairway was extremely risky in the bouncy conditions we had.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 10:25:50 AM »
Bamburgh Castle Tour Cont

For mine, Bamburgh finds its gears on the 8th; a temperate length short hole crabbed between rocky outcrops left and right. A fronting bunker ups the stakes considerably. Looking toward the high tee to the right of the path.

A look at the green....there is no proper miss. Who knows where the ball will go if it hits a rock. 

Play continues downhill on the 9th. It seems like the OOB right could have been better utilized with more meaningful bunker placement. I don't see the point of the current arrangment.

However, the double green is interesting.

Another very fine short hole, the 10th.

The green follows the terrain and runs away from play.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:43:17 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Bouncy BAMBURGH CASTLE GC: 1-10
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »
BAMBURGH CASTLE TOUR CONT

Featuring a blind, uphill drive between rock outcroppings, the 11th is a hole that tests the nerve.  The green, however, is a bit dull except for the rock face hard left. Another blind drive follows, but the 12th runs downhill. I accidentally found the pure line up the right and was rewarded with maximum roll-out. The approach is nasty to a green shared with the 9th. It takes some experience to figure out the bounce and roll. There was zero grass grip on this downwind, downhill, f&f day. 

Working our way back uphill with a boring, long and blind hole, the 13th is not a hole which I found entertaining. The 14th, on the other hand, took some squinting to actually take in the requirements. Severely uphill, this short hole requires about a 110 yard carry over don't even bother looking for it terrain, but mercifully, there is a bank to hold the tee shot. I noticed the aiming post on the right and sussed that the flag in view was the same that was seen behind the 7th green. So I knew the left section of the green was basically non-existent.   

Another view of the castle. In most cases St Aidan's on the far right would be star of the show.

Highlight of the course and an All-England candidate!

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 02:35:19 AM by Sean_A »

John Mayhugh

Re: Bouncy BAMBURGH CASTLE GC: 1-14
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 08:42:34 AM »
A little greener version from Sept 2019.
IMG_2287 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Sean_A

Re: Bouncy BAMBURGH CASTLE GC: 1-14 New
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 05:23:38 AM »
Tucky

Yep, I think our f&f conditions were a tad ott, but I don't think the club has a choice. I didn't notice fairway watering.

BAMBURGH CASTLE TOUR CONT

Speaking of ott, the 15th is one such hole. There is a  great chasm about 20 yards short of the green. How one is meant to keep the ball on the green is beyond me.

A clever target hole, the 16th legs nearly dead left between two higher areas. A sort of tunnel is formed for the second. If one drives into the far rough it will take a miracle to hold the half wedge shot. The tee is left out of picture.

A bit like 12 & 15, I expect that in more normal conditions the 17th would be a better hole. In firm conditions, the downhill tee shot to a green running away from play is a bit much.

A final look at the castle on high ground.

A very well designed 235 yard hole.

The 18th is a fine home hole. The fairway leaks left away from OOB, so a fade is required to hold the tee shot up.  My drive ended up just in the left rough. If you are far enough back a well judged approach can work its way around the bunkers.

However, if too far up, it takes far better ball striking than I can muster to hold the green.

A lovely house.

As has been hinted, a better time might be had in the fall when the course has greened up a bit. Yet there is an undeniable attractiveness about Bamburgh Castle....that is likely due to the setting and the handful of unusual holes. If the opening stretch of 1-6 was more interesting I would be much more enthusiastic about the course, but Bamburgh is a well worthwhile stop if only to see the 14th. If you catch the twilight rate Bamburgh is excellent value. Despite my misgivings, I like the town, setting and club enough that Bamburgh will make my Happy 100... for now. 2022

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:50:42 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back