News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Bodo

Re: Andy Staples Interview
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2022, 10:56:37 PM »
Mike, Andy's work at OFCC South is ongoing; very little done prior to this year.  It would be nice to have you visit Chicago as there is a lot going on and a lot to see but wait awhile if you want to see the finished product.
Thanks for the invite. Would love to check out the finished product once Andy's done working his magic. I saw on a different YouTube video where Andy mentions the work he was doing at Olympia Fields being completed in time for 2022 play. Is this still the timetable?
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2022, 06:46:04 AM »
I eventually caught up and read Ron's interview with Andy Staples and also had a look at the Fried Egg interview with Andy on Meadowbrook both of which I enjoyed. The Meadowbrook course in particular looks really good and the film showed it off to good effect. I'm never likely to get there but very much enjoy seeing and reading about new architects (to me) and courses I'd never heard of.

Niall

Jeff Schley

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2022, 09:30:45 AM »
Mike, Andy's work at OFCC South is ongoing; very little done prior to this year.  It would be nice to have you visit Chicago as there is a lot going on and a lot to see but wait awhile if you want to see the finished product.
Thanks for the invite. Would love to check out the finished product once Andy's done working his magic. I saw on a different YouTube video where Andy mentions the work he was doing at Olympia Fields being completed in time for 2022 play. Is this still the timetable?

Mike the project is broken into 9 holes each winter, so 9 holes are closed Sept 2021-June 2022. Then all open for the summer June-Sept. This coming winter the project is scheduled to be competed by June 2023. Of course weather permitting and all the rain we have had is great for growing grass but not much else.

So summer 2023 drop me a line. Also the North course hasn’t been decided as to what (if anything) will be done as that would take another assessment most likely.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike Bodo

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2022, 10:20:48 AM »
Mike the project is broken into 9 holes each winter, so 9 holes are closed Sept 2021-June 2022. Then all open for the summer June-Sept. This coming winter the project is scheduled to be competed by June 2023. Of course weather permitting and all the rain we have had is great for growing grass but not much else.

So summer 2023 drop me a line. Also the North course hasn’t been decided as to what (if anything) will be done as that would take another assessment most likely.

Jeff, thanks for the invite as well. Would love to play and check out the course when it's finished and have no doubt it will be an upgrade from what was there previously, which was pretty darn good. Isn't the South course hosting a major in the not too distant future (I want to say a PGA Championship)? I know the BMW Championship is going to be played there in 2023, but I can't see that course being in the mix so soon from completion date, but crazier things have happened.

If you're ever in the SE Michigan area or Toledo, OH DM me as I'd love to have you out at Sylvania.  ;)

Jeff Schley

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2022, 11:24:48 AM »

Jeff, thanks for the invite as well. Would love to play and check out the course when it's finished and have no doubt it will be an upgrade from what was there previously, which was pretty darn good. Isn't the South course hosting a major in the not too distant future (I want to say a PGA Championship)? I know the BMW Championship is going to be played there in 2023, but I can't see that course being in the mix so soon from completion date, but crazier things have happened.

If you're ever in the SE Michigan area or Toledo, OH DM me as I'd love to have you out at Sylvania.  ;)

Mike the South course isn't the one that hosts all the events that is the North.  The South is a very nice course in its own rite but hasn't hosted any events.  The South needed attention much more than the North and so glad it being addressed.

The North will probably get some work afterwards but not until after the BMW in 2023.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mike Bodo

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2022, 12:00:15 PM »
Mike the South course isn't the one that hosts all the events that is the North.  The South is a very nice course in its own rite but hasn't hosted any events.  The South needed attention much more than the North and so glad it being addressed.

The North will probably get some work afterwards but not until after the BMW in 2023.
Thanks for getting me squared away. I got confused because I thought Andy was doing work specifically on the Park course there, but now I see he's the consulting architect for all the courses at OFCC and is currently working on the Bendelow 18, aka the South course. I'm sure he'll do a terrific job, but I'm really anxious to see what becomes of the North course (Park 18) once he's done with the South given his work at Meadowbrook.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2022, 08:49:25 PM »
Can the South be better?  Sure. Does it need to be renovated?  That’s the question. The membership has decided that the answer is yes and there’s no doubt that Andy will improve the layout, because it will look more consistent from hole to hole and the vistas will be much more dramatic.

The South was built on a better piece of land than the North, but it’s not big enough to test the Tour. The rest of us will usually prefer the South because it’s more manageable.

In my mind, there’s no better club in Chicagoland. And it’s about to get better.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

SL_Solow

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2022, 09:11:12 PM »
The South has always been an interesting problem.  The North was designed as a stand alone course by Park.  It was a wonderful test from the beginning and remains a terrific challenge and a great piece of parkland architecture.  Some of us still mourn some of the changes the USGA imposed prior to the US Open (the old 3rd green was exceptional)  As most know, OFCC was originally 4 courses and the South comprises pieces of more than one.  It has great ground movement and wonderful greens.  Andy has some outstanding ideas.  My friend Terry is correct, it is a wonderful club.  I remember a time when people like me were not very welcome there (even though I lived about 7 minutes away)  but that time is long since past.  I look forward to the work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back